View Full Version : Tennis Elbow

Gobi
04-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Not what I was hoping for at the beginning of the season, but was just diagnosed w/ tennis elbow. Painful even after cortisone shot so I'm taking care to immobilize until the pain subsides. Anyone have any experience w/ this? I'm wondering if I lay off the arm/elbow and don't fish, use mouse, or otherwise aggravate it, can I expect to be fishing in 30 - 45 days or am I hosed? This really X$%T#T#$%.

ProfessorM
04-26-2012, 06:54 PM
I feel your pain and have for 3 years now. I have had a few shots. The first one worked great a week or 2 after the shot. Felt like new. Amazing. Year later pain came back. Chopping wood I think did me in mostly. Next shot didn't even last a month. I am in constant pain. Work sucks and I wake up in middle of night from pain with the elbow stiffening up. I also tried weeks of physical therapy first which was a waste of time IMO but had to go the route my doctor told me and that was first. Problem is I am too active with my arm in my job and outside projects and can't just sit around resting it so I accept the pain and try to use mind over matter but that is not always easy. I am starting to think it is more than tennis elbow at this point as the pain has gotten more of a very sharp pain more than an aching pain and harder to overlook. Good luck in your recovery and if possible rest it as much as possible as that is what will help but not always possible to do.

JamesJet
04-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Rest ice and constant anti inflamatories will be your best friends.

Gobi
04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys. I'm working on using my LH for whatever I can in order to rest my right elbow. Professor - that sounds awful. I toughed it out to this point and need to do something different because the pain is sharp and after a couple of sleepless nights I can't sit back anymore. hope it gets better for you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Joe
04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
A friend of mine got that and it was a career-ending injury. He got a boat and is now trolling.
I'm left handed and have a degree of ambidexterity. I could change to right handed - I think anybody could.
Throw out all your tins, jigs, and poppers and only use eels, Dannys, and floating needlefish and you'll cut down the number of casts you make by 2/3. Jigs and poppers make the elbow bark.
Take up fishing at inlets and make drift fishing your primary method.
You're going to have to change if you want to continue. Become a knuckle ball thrower. Maybe there is a surgical answer.

stripermaineiac
04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
I've been dealing with that for yrs. My Dr told me to try one of those braces that you put around your fore arm while fishing. I have 3 of them an use one loads. Seems to help me a lot.You can get one at CVS.They go for around 20 to 20 bucks. I keep one in my truck and sometimes on my plug bag with my Aquaskinz glove. Hope this helps. Ron

oldroe
04-27-2012, 06:04 AM
T elbow and I have been friends for 25 years.

1/ get your arm bans and use them. Don't wait for the pain to start. You are fishing today start with your arm bans on. This is key. Also make sure you using them correctly, tight is not necessary you just need to compress your for arm mussel.

2/ make sure that cast distance is worth the pain. Little bit shorter rods and a little bit softer tip will go a long way.

I like the hard shell arm bans.

fishsmith
04-27-2012, 06:10 AM
I've been dealing with that for yrs. My Dr told me to try one of those braces that you put around your fore arm while fishing. I have 3 of them an use one loads. Seems to help me a lot.You can get one at CVS.They go for around 20 to 20 bucks. I keep one in my truck and sometimes on my plug bag with my Aquaskinz glove. Hope this helps. Ron

Ditto on the CVS brace, that's how I'm dealing with mine. For me, anytime I lift something, it's palm up, it makes all the difference. I've heard tendon surgery is the only real fix.

Rockfish9
04-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Advil... Ice and brace....been dealing with it for 20 years or more... along with bursitis in my shoulder....some nights it gets bad enough that I can't cast... Ice...Advil and a brace keep me in the game...I took a shot in my shoulder 5 years ago.. I'd never do it again...the strength loss in my shoulder was not worth the temporary relief...

Rappin Mikey
04-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Have had it couple times. The first time from throwing poppers in the Spring. A shot of cortezone, and 10 days doing nothing. Don't throw pencils for a month and by an elbow brace/sleeve to wear when you fish from now on. It has worked for me.

piemma
04-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Not what I was hoping for at the beginning of the season, but was just diagnosed w/ tennis elbow. Painful even after cortisone shot so I'm taking care to immobilize until the pain subsides. Anyone have any experience w/ this? I'm wondering if I lay off the arm/elbow and don't fish, use mouse, or otherwise aggravate it, can I expect to be fishing in 30 - 45 days or am I hosed? This really X$%T#T#$%.

On year in the 90s I fished about 150 days in the surf. I had the worst case of tennis elbow starting in September. I bought an elbow brace and was able to fish right up to Christmas. That's when I was young and stupid.

Raven
04-27-2012, 07:01 AM
anti inflamatories ....there's something you need to know here.........
and that is that there's a certain lack of communication between the brain
and the elbo - sort of like downed telephone lines....but take a honey bee and sting that elbo and suddenly the communication works again and the brain then
says: huston is sending in repair crew... this can also be helped with the use of
the cheapest: dr fred summit's arthritus and sport heat rub sold by the bottle for a buck at the dollar store (the weakest & least stinky) which helps allot and then the strongest which is hot like jalapeno's peppers hot EMU oil known by the Aborigionie's to be very healing for 2000 years. That and taking whey protein to heal up faster (or rebound) and the velcro "adjustable" spandex braces ..... that are superior for not cutting off circulation.

bigwavedave
04-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Ice Ice Ice . The arm bands work very well . Get one of those gel type ice packs that come in a wrap style and use it CONSTANTLY I have had awesome results with that. And of course watch those anti-inflams on the stomach they will tear you up if not carefull.

Rockfish9
04-27-2012, 07:52 AM
anti inflamatories ....there's something you need to know here.........
and that is that there's a certain lack of communication between the brain
and the elbo - sort of like downed telephone lines....but take a honey bee and sting that elbo and suddenly the communication works again and the brain then
says: huston is sending in repair crew... this can also be helped with the use of
the cheapest: dr fred summit's arthritus and sport heat rub sold by the bottle for a buck at the dollar store (the weakest & least stinky) which helps allot and then the strongest which is hot like jalapeno's peppers hot EMU oil known by the Aborigionie's to be very healing for 2000 years. That and taking whey protein to heal up faster (or rebound) and the velcro "adjustable" spandex braces ..... that are superior for not cutting off circulation.

That is exactly what the ice does.... same principle... when the joint is cooled... the brain gets the message to increase the blood flow to try and warm up the joint.. thus enter the repair crew... the Advil is taken in moderation when the arm turns into a stick... I try not to take any pills if I can.. and at age 56.. I take no medications.. I want to keep it that way.

oldroe
04-27-2012, 09:38 AM
It will be your tendency to wear your braces very tight. This is wrong wrong wrong.

You are cutting the blood flow off.

With the hard shell braces put the large end on top of thickest part of your forarm. Now just tight it enough to slightly press the muscle down.

On the soft braces their will be a thicker part put this on the thickest part of your forarm.

No tingling fingers.

Get a professional to show you how to wear these braces.

This is a for life deal. Don't get your arms sore then use your braces. Use your braces and never get your elbows sore.

Jimbo
04-27-2012, 09:59 AM
My doctor recommended the brace and to pe patient, and as was just said, make sure where you get it they show you exactly how to wear it and it's the right size. I wish there was a rotator cuff brace.

OLD GOAT
04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I changed my rod to a softer bend rather than a fast taper rod.
I,ll leave out the war stories.Try to rest after your shot. For me Friday afternoons were the best.When I tried working after a shot I squezzed the cortizone out of that pea size spot.
I've had as many as three shots at one time when I could'nt pick up a knife or fork inflamed all the way to my wrist.
I think the bigest advice i could give you is to rest the whole weekend if posible. Man I feel for you,good luck.

Scuttlebutt
04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
I am the poster child for TE...otherwise known as Lateral Epicondylitis. Actually got it from playing tennis...haha. Went about two years with the pain. Could not hold a cup of coffee, open doors etc. I think Docs take the least-cost approach first. Rest, ice, anti-inflammatories, braces, special stretching exercises with the rubber band, etc, etc, etc.
Then three cortisone shots...temporary relief only...eventually came back. Then went 10 weeks on PT where they rub some sh*t on it and use an electronic device to enhance the effect ($25 bucks a session). Nothing worked and it just kept coming back. Finally demanded the surgery. Had it done and it took about 6 months before it was back to normal. What happens is... with over use, the tendon gets frayed (like a worn rope). The tendon fibers rub against the muscle and the bone creating inflammation and scar tissue. The surgeon will remove these fibers to smooth out the tendon. They may even shave some bone so the tendon slides easier. Small scar left...about an inch and a quarter. Should never have waited so long before getting the surgery. IMO, it's the only long term solution. Get it done...the sooner the better. Good luck!

Raven
04-27-2012, 01:02 PM
I wanna see the Poster -LOL

Sea Flat
04-27-2012, 01:04 PM
That is a bummer man! I have had tendonitis in my elbow since high school baseball. My elbow hurts a lot after I play baseball, fish hard etc. I got something like this and it helps a little. As others said, antiinflammatories will work well too.

Scuttlebutt
04-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Rav, No you don't...Hahahahahahaa

Raven
04-27-2012, 01:13 PM
. I try not to take any pills if I can.. and at age 56.. I take no medications.. I want to keep it that way.

ya know Joe ...what you wrote reminded me of what my father in law told me.... (made me madder than a grisley bear)

he's down in florida now after getting re-married at age 90...

so he goes to see a new Doc...@ age 92.... not really wanting too...
because he takes absolutely no medication at ALL ...period....
doc says "so,what meds are you presently on"
he tells that to the new Doctor...."NONE"
and the Doctor being a complete A$$HOLE kinda- guy says to him
"no really, what medication are you taking?"
again my father repeats "None, None at all "

and with that response he got thrown out of the office for lying!
according to this friggan Tool

Good thing "i" wasn't there at the time!!!!
because that S.O.B. woulda been unconscious on his linoleum floor.:uhuh:

Raven
04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
LIDO CAINE patches numb the crap out of anything !!!
well hey, it's cocaine so it has to numb the hell out of anything
(gets in your blood)
but just like snorting it or getting shots it can affect your heart...quite adversely

IBUPROPHEN is a better anti infamatory than Alieve which is "Naproxen"
but too much of either called the Nsaids group is also bad for your heart
too....so take them in moderation with milk or they give you bleeding ulcers.

Steve K
04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Brace worked for me. This is the one I used.

massbassman
04-27-2012, 02:08 PM
i had surgery over the winter, after years of everything from shots, to pt, to accupuncture,with no relief.but i also had a nerve inpingement along with it. can say that i would recommend the surgery, but thats only my experience. i came away with a fairly good result but canstill aggravate it pretty quickly. the tennis elbow forearm bands are good and can give you relief, but along with that try using a wrist brace to immobilize the muscles and tendons when you are at home resting and especially at night sleeping. stretching exercises that loosen the muscles in your forearm will help against the tugging on the tendon that causes the inflammation in the first place. massage the mucles too, with some lotion and keep the blood flow to that area to promote healing and then ice it alot! good luck!

MAKAI
04-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Look into a cryo cuff.

FoliFish
04-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Arnica gel MAY help relieve some of the pain and inflammation. Worth a try anyway :)

Meanolpah
04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
hgh might work.:smash:

ProfessorM
04-28-2012, 07:01 PM
I am ready for surgery if that is what it takes. I was at a fund raiser that wife dragged me to last nite for NE Baptist Hos. and spent most of nite looking for an ortho surgeon and free consult. There were lots of them.

massbassman
04-28-2012, 07:41 PM
professor, i know its a little ways away from you but dr. michael brunelli of the n.e. hand assoc. in framingham(508-872-7881) did my surgery over the winter and is a very well known upper extremity surgeon in this area, with a great reputation. another name is dr. richard mulroy in milford, mass. he did my brothers shoulder (rotator cuff) and he loved him. dr. brunelli also has an office in milford so it would be a little closer to you. i would highly recommend him to anyone seeking treatment for this ailment as he's not only a great surgeon, but a super nice guy.

ProfessorM
04-28-2012, 08:05 PM
thanks for the input.

Gobi
04-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the input. When I first read the posts (actually first four or five reads), I wasn't feeling too good, but will stick with my rest it plan (as much as is possible) with no fishing until June and no iPhone. I got that damn thing in December and have been addicted. Pain coincides with appearance of iPhone. I wondering what impact it had.

Good luck Prof. Hope it all works out for you. If I come up with something other than what's been noted already I'll let you know.

numbskull
04-29-2012, 03:23 PM
I........try to use mind over matter .

No wonder it is not getting better.......that must be some pretty weak treatment.

ProfessorM
04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
LOL. no doubt. pretty much nonexistent.

Raven
04-29-2012, 08:42 PM
professor, i know its a little ways away from you but dr. michael brunelli of the n.e. hand assoc. in framingham(508-872-7881) did my surgery over the winter and is a very well known upper extremity surgeon in this area, with a great reputation. another name is dr. richard mulroy in milford, mass. he did my brothers shoulder (rotator cuff) and he loved him. dr. brunelli also has an office in milford so it would be a little closer to you. i would highly recommend him to anyone seeking treatment for this ailment as he's not only a great surgeon, but a super nice guy.

I have to second Dr Brunelli... my wife goes to him and just his presence alone will make you feel 50% better, and he hasn't even begun. Super great Doctor.

after reading this thread talkin about elbo's...i was at the top of the stairs holding a box and when i went down i slipped and went sliding down the stairs on my BUTT hitting every step with my left elbo until the last one where i felt a very sharp "twang" like ten times the pain of hitting your funny bone... BAD !!!!
well as time marched on...i completely lost the use of my left arm until it was literally dead and of no use... with nothing to do but NOT use it in any way shape or form and it was in a sling day and night.

I started wiping on the pink liquid i mentioned above (first post) 3 times a day from the dollar store and in two to three weeks it was completely all better again feeling as good as new.

FoliFish
05-03-2012, 08:14 PM
DMSO....google it!!