View Full Version : Lot of water and a little whale watching PART II

redlite
05-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Sunday found us back in the South Cape area for a repeat of Saturday evening. The action was a lot slower. If it wasn't for the fact that we were about 400 yards out up to our wastes, I think my buddies would have drowned me as I was banging fish while they were practicing their casts. All blues, no stripers this night. Later we took a gamble and headed up to the canal to the herring run. Only a couple of people there just after high tide. They said it had been slow, but you never know. We chucked whole dead herring for about an hour with nothing. Crashed hard in the camper.

MOnday we went for what we know best and headed to the back side. Picked up the Land Rover down P-town and headed out. Ran all of Race point, and I'll tell you, its a mess. After being informed by a vigilant ranger that the sticker was not on since my Pops got it on a rainy day and never put it on, I was delayed a little, since there is little/no cell phone service down there. I have never been able to figure out how I get better reception 25 miles out on Stellwagon and nothing on dry land. The beach has weird shut downs. Can run the front bech out to first rip, but then need to take the inner fire road to the light house and Hatchet's Harbor. The back beach you can get down to the dune tour access road. The tracks are really, really chewed up and bumpy. I don't think people are airing down enough, and in one guy I came across, not at all. Picked up a couple of schoolies in the late afternoon on the back beach. Teh beaches further south were munged up, so we fished the Race all night. Covered from the back beach to the light house with plugs and herring chunks with nothing. Finally picked up some fish up to 31" out at the race at dawn. The amazing thing was we were standing there casting those Storm Shads (which I will say did pass the test and live up to all the hype), there was suddenly a giant spray and low and behold, a pilot whale comes by. How close might you ask? Figure how far you can cast a Storm shad, well, we were putting them over the whale. It was only about 25" feet long. A few minutes alater, another whale comes through. This sucker had to be pushing 60 feet. It was fin whale???...Absolutley amazing. We ended up with four keeprs and a couple of real close shorts. The beach was covered with, real, real small sand eels from a previos feeding frenzy we had missed. Hate being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The water down there is super cold still.

Some good news is to those that fish the back side beaches, they look supa pissa. Dream come true structure with serious bowls and bars all along. The bad winter we had devastated the beaches. At high tide, most have no beach at all. Water line is right up to the dunes. I was getting that tingly feeling of anticipation of big fish arriving.................

For any more info, feel free to PM me.