View Full Version : Ninigret Pond in Rhode Island.

Got Stripers
02-03-2001, 10:58 AM
Just read an interesting article on fly fishing the worm hatch and although I'm not a long rodder, it sounded like fun. I'm curious if any of you RI boys have chased them inside the pond and if light spinning tackle and plastic works well, which I assume it would.

I need to plan a scouting trip to that area as soon as the weather warms up. I also like the sound of all the reefs and rocks I've been reading in various articles about Watch Hill. My plan for this year is to start down there early and work my way north. Hopefully I can get one of you RI guys out with me for a quick tour of what the area offers and maybe point out the prop killers, lol.

Tight lines.

JohnR
02-03-2001, 11:14 AM
You have cinder worm hatches in several ponds to work with. I'm told that the Point Judith Pond is a really good one too. Light spinning gear works. Think May...

As far as fishing the Watch Hill reefs with a boat - that's out of my league. You are not in the relatively calm waters of Mass and Cape Cod Bays, you're on a somewhat protected ocean front. I fish there from shore at night (well the rubble anyway) and there are some hard core boat guys working those reefs. When the seas are cranking there at night (which seems often), I probably wouldn't fish from a boat. The boats I've seen there, from 18 to 25 feet, get TOSSED VIOLENTLY all around those reefs. Like fishing in the North River mouth during a storm with a wind out of the east and the river's dumping.... Can be pretty nasty...

There was a good write up a few months ago (OTW or The Fisherman) about boat fishing the Race, Naps, and Watch Hill. Is that the article you're talking about??

Got Stripers
02-03-2001, 04:02 PM
I've been reading a bunch of archived articles at www.soundfishing.com and a lot of it I found to be interesting reading. I'm interested in learning the RI waters, so I can get a jump on the season and stretch it later. Weather plays a factor regardless of where you are, because Mass Bay isn't any picnic after a prolonged NE blow either, lol.

Tight lines.

Clammer
02-03-2001, 09:09 PM
ALL the south shore ponds are good for the worm hatch, but so is e\East Greenwich bay and cove// Also the Providence river, Flies are the killer because they can tie them to look real close to the real thing . The best thing I found in lures/jigs / rubber// is the 4 INCH SLUGO in red / black --no weight its hard to cast but it works// good luck//

Saltheart
02-03-2001, 10:16 PM
Worm Hatch...Maybe with the low , low May 23 or so? Maybe not till June 3? Need to get some warmth into the mud.