View Full Version : 2012 S-B / Run To Home Base Catch & Release Charity Tourney

GregW
04-29-2012, 04:53 PM
2012 S-B / Run To Home Base Catch & Release Charity Tourney

We will be running the charity tournament again this year.

The cause:
All the money raised will go to the Home Base Program , to help soldiers and veterans suffering from traumatic brain injuries suffered from their service in Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://fishforsoldiers.com/support/images/stories/rsf.gif http://fishforsoldiers.com/support/images/stories/redsox-150.gif http://fishforsoldiers.com/support/images/stories/small-sb3.jpg

Tourney Site: FishForSoldiers.com (http://fishforsoldiers.com/support/)

Goal: Our goal is to have a fun charity tournament benefiting and honoring our service veterans returning home from Iraq & Afghanistan. I will run a 9K race, ending at home plate on Fenway Park, with the proceeds going to this cause.

This fundraiser is supported by the Red Sox Foundation, Mass General Hospital, and many other teams running and fundraising for this cause.

Payment:
$20 to enter, and it all goes to the charity.
Two ways to pay:
1) Go directly to my donation page with a credit or debit card, and click on make a donation in the red toolbar.
Red Sox Foundation and Massachusetts General Hospital Home Base Program (http://www.runtohomebase.org/runtohomebase/GregoryWalsh)
2) You can also pay by check. I am attaching the paper that needs to be filled out and mailed in with the check.
Just click on this link: http://fishforsoldiers.com/support/images/stories/DF_2012-GW2.pdf

Rules:

Honor System! We are raising money for people who live and die by a code of honor. Please use honesty.

Catch and Release Only!!

Where can you fish: Anywhere wild striped bass are caught in the Northeast. Any time, any where.

Who Can Fish: Everyone – Don’t need to be a S-B member – invite your friends as this is a great cause. Other sites (where allowed by that site) invite them too.

Single Angler: Have your camera ready – no surprise, the object here is a quick C&R so the camera should be ready to go.

Teams: When fishing with others, one person NOT catching the fish records the fish for the person catching the fish. 1 Fish, 1 Point. The object is a quick turnaround getting the fish back in the water. For a rare moment in your life, size doesn’t matter .

Points will increase chance for prize but do not guarantee prize.

Kids: Under 18 are free when fishing with an adult partner. Kids will have a chance for prizes as well.

We will have a daily tally and a final tally online at FishForSoldiers.com and/or S-B.

State whether fish is Shore, Boat, or Yak.

Favoring a quick release on fish, we will forgo the length measurements.

Honor System!!!!

Prizes
Actual Prizes To Be Determined – we will have some prizes for different categories, such as most fish caught, most days where a fish is caught, best junior angler C&R pic, and smallest fish PHOTO – We’re looking to have some fun here while supporting a great cause.

Prizes will consist of lures & stuff if I can’t get any donations I will go down to the local tackle shop and buy the stuff myself.

Smallest Fish: As we are skipping measurements, the smallest fish will be photographed where a poll will place the top smallest fish contenders for a vote to determine who is the Schoolie Whisperer.

Duration:
3pm May 3rd until 9am May 13th. Final tally due from all anglers noon May 13th

Thanks!

GattaFish
04-29-2012, 05:06 PM
I will be signing up,,,,

tysdad115
04-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Tyler and I are in! Smallest will be mine! ! I will also donate a plug or two.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishbones
04-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Im in! Smallest will be mine! !

I hope you're talking about the fish.

Greg, I'm in and will come up with something to donate for a prize.

fishbones
04-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Greg, I just noticed that the entry fee is $10 this year as compared to $20 last year. Is that a typo? I can't speak for everyone, but I think $20 is reasonable again since it's all going to charity.

Jackbass
04-30-2012, 02:56 PM
I am in again this year I will catch a fish though

FinS 32
04-30-2012, 08:58 PM
im in. is skishing cool for the shore division, or is it legal at all regardless i am in, and will mail a check tomorrow

JohnR
05-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes - tYpO - it is $20 (kids are free)

fishbones
05-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Greg, I owe you $10 since I donated on your fundraising page yesterday. I can give it to you Thursday if you go out when you're done with class.

GregW
05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Greg, I owe you $10 since I donated on your fundraising page yesterday. I can give it to you Thursday if you go out when you're done with class.

I'm the idiot that messed it up (just got a million things going on), I'll cover it. Plus I probably owe you from the tab the last time we went out.

numbskull
05-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm in.

massbassman
05-01-2012, 08:07 PM
i applaud your efforts Greg, and would like to donate a couple of plugs, please let me know how to get them to you.

JLH
05-02-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm in again - had fun fishing this last year.

JohnnySaxatilis
05-02-2012, 06:21 PM
I am in. just did the online thang

afterhours
05-02-2012, 07:48 PM
count me in for 4 plugs towards the prizes. greg pm me addy.

numbskull
05-02-2012, 08:46 PM
You mean it didn't start tonight! Damn!

FinS 32
05-02-2012, 08:56 PM
John, is skishing legal? if so is it okay in shore catagory?

Rappin Mikey
05-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Is it the most fish caught? And do you need a pic of each fish? If you are by yourself (most of the time I am), Can you just snap a pic of the fish??

JohnR
05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Photos are fine

Skishing for micro bass - sure - remember it is a SMALL fish contest :uhuh:

numbskull
05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Game on. I'm HOT! Got 5 fish tonight, 4 on a little yellow darter and one on a mini-skinny donny. Didn't measure any.

numbskull
05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
last 2

numbskull
05-04-2012, 06:21 AM
oops.....there is a duplicate there meant to show the plug better. This was the 5th monster.

fishbones
05-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Game on. I'm HOT! Got 5 fish tonight, 4 on a little yellow darter and one on a mini-skinny donny. Didn't measure any.

Nice start, Numbskull! I went out last night, and being too tired to drive the extra 20 minutes to a spot I knew held fish, got skunked. Oh well, hopefully I'll get a chance to get out this weekend.

JLH
05-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Nice start! Looks like I'm going to have to step up my game... I fished around four hours last night for one short which I dropped at my feet...

numbskull
05-04-2012, 09:33 AM
well this doesnt count becuase it was the afternoon before the evening i signed up for the tourney. but i thought you guys would get a kick out of it anyway. And I'll be back with something smaller!

Impressive!

numbskull
05-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Two tonight. Quit early because I was floating on air. 1 small and one 43". :) Released.
Took it on an xra 1083 and calcutta 200. As exciting a fish as I have ever hooked. Totally unexpected.

God, I love fishing.

Mike P
05-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Real nice fish, George. She's bleeding but it doesn't look like she was hooked anywhere vital.

numbskull
05-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Real nice fish, George. She's bleeding but it doesn't look like she was hooked anywhere vital.

Just an external gill plate tear, she was fine.

Fishing is funny. This was likely only a mid 20# fish, but there was something special about her.....probably the unexpected nature of her showing up so early, after an unproductive winter, in a spot I've fished my entire life, while focused on little stuff, and on tackle that let her show her best....... that has me smiling and shaking and feeling like a kid again. Not much in life that does that. Go get 'em.

numbskull
05-06-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm cold!
1 tiny fish Sat (pic). 16.5"
1 tiny fish tonight (no pic but witnessed by Earlybird/ArtMako)
Thank god he didn't enter, none of us would have a chance against him and his flyrod.

Anybody else fishing this thing, or am I posting on the wrong site?

fishbones
05-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm cold!
1 tiny fish Sat (pic). 16.5"
1 tiny fish tonight (no pic but witnessed by Earlybird/ArtMako)
Thank god he didn't enter, none of us would have a chance against him and his flyrod.

Anybody else fishing this thing, or am I posting on the wrong site?

I'm fishing it, but have nothing to post yet. Not much time to fish between my sons baseball and lacrosse practices and games. I took him out for a bit this morning and neither of us got anything, but we had a lot of fun. Getting skunked with him is better than getting into fish by myself.

GregW
05-06-2012, 08:55 PM
count me in for 4 plugs towards the prizes. greg pm me addy.

Pm sent.

GregW
05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Had one the other day. Forgot to post it.
First of the season.

JLH
05-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Finally on the board...

numbskull
05-07-2012, 06:15 AM
No fair catching blind fish.

tysdad115
05-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Skunked again this morning..

JLH
05-07-2012, 12:14 PM
No fair catching blind fish.

Hah it seems like that's about all I can catch...

piemma
05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm in. Sorry I'm late. Work has been a BEAR lately.

GregW
05-08-2012, 04:47 AM
3 more last night

numbskull
05-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Skunked. :wall:

tysdad115
05-08-2012, 08:16 AM
One today..small but I'm on the board

fishbones
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
After watching GrewW catch 3 without me getting a hit last night, I finally got my first for the tournament. Feisty little guy caught on a pencil.

JLH
05-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Hooked this fish on the first cast night night... should have went home after that not another bump in the next 3 hours...

numbskull
05-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Hooked this fish on the first cast night night... should have went home after that not another bump in the next 3 hours...

Me,too, except I dropped mine. Looked promising out there, but nothing. Still, big moon, cloudy night, wind, always worth a go.

tysdad115
05-09-2012, 07:13 PM
One more today for me.

tysdad115
05-10-2012, 03:10 PM
3 more today. 25# biggest. Also learned touch screen phones dont work in downpour ...

tysdad115
05-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Another one today...Ty had a real nice one pop off 6' away from him.Would have been a great first fish for him.

JLH
05-12-2012, 05:31 AM
I had 7 fish this morning. I have pics of a few of them ill add after getting some sleep. Didnt get them all I didn't want people seeing my flash going off every 10 minutes...

Pics Added

numbskull
05-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Well done! I've fished 5 days now with only 1 hit.

numbskull
05-13-2012, 02:16 PM
No late heroics for me. More like a Redsoxian finish. I ended up with 9, which means I went 0 for 7 nights straight since my last fish on the 6th.

JohnR
05-14-2012, 06:47 AM
But, you went ;)

Nice job folks! So who got the smallest fish ;)

piemma
05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Skunked. :wall:

Me too. And in the boat George.

GregW
05-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Ok, I went through and recorded all the catches.
sorry i have not got around to it earlier, just really busy with finals.
I have some stuff and will purchase a few things next week for prizes as soon as I am done with school.

-most fish caught
Winner: Numbskull 9 & JLH 9
Totals:
JLH 9
Numbskull 9
Tysdad115 6
GregW 4
Fishbones 1

-most fish in one day
JLH 7

-smallest fish
We are going to let everyone cast their votes here.

JLH & Numbskull , pm me your addres.

tysdad115
05-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Greg dont purchase any plugs, i have some to donate.

JLH
05-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Ok, I went through and recorded all the catches.
sorry i have not got around to it earlier, just really busy with finals.
I have some stuff and will purchase a few things next week for prizes as soon as I am done with school.

-most fish caught
Winner: JLH 9
Totals:
JLH 9
Numbskull 8
Tysdad115 6
GregW 4
Fishbones 1

-most fish in one day
JLH 7

-smallest fish
We are going to let everyone cast their votes here.

JLH , pm me your addres.

Greg - I think Numbskull had said had 9 fish too??

GregW
05-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Greg - I think Numbskull had said had 9 fish too??

You are correct. My apologies to Numbskull.
JLH & Numbskull shared the title of most fish caught.

numbskull
05-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Greg, I don't need any plugs, not in this lifetime or the next, so for God's sake don't purchase any. Use the money for the troops and send what plugs you've got to JLH and others who will use them. He obviously needs better plugs seeing as he ended up tied with a sad case like me. It was fun to have a reason to fish every night so early in the season.

tysdad115
05-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Tought to judge smallest but my vote is for Gregs third picture. It appears smaller than all other entries.

fishbones
05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Tought to judge smallest but my vote is for Gregs third picture. It appears smaller than all other entries.

I'm with you on this. I took that picture and it was even smaller than it looks in the photo.

Nice job to everyone and congrats to the winners. Greg, throw that Guppy popper into the prize pool and I'll get the pencil next time I see you.

GregW
05-16-2012, 11:31 AM

I'm with you on this. I took that picture and it was even smaller than it looks in the photo.

Nice job to everyone and congrats to the winners. Greg, throw that Guppy popper into the prize pool and I'll get the pencil next time I see you.

I'm not eligabile to win any prizes, so you guys gotta re cast your votes.

GregW
05-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Greg, I don't need any plugs, not in this lifetime or the next, so for God's sake don't purchase any. Use the money for the troops and send what plugs you've got to JLH and others who will use them. He obviously needs better plugs seeing as he ended up tied with a sad case like me. It was fun to have a reason to fish every night so early in the season.

Ok, thanks for participating.
It really was fun to have the cheap excuse to fish more often. :uhuh:

tysdad115
05-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm not eligabile to win any prizes, so you guys gotta re cast your votes.

I disagree, you entered the tournament and put in time. Plus the esteemed honor of short fish undoubtedly belongs to you after reading Johns first hand account.

JohnR
05-16-2012, 08:50 PM
If y'all figure out who gets the smallest fish - I'll dig up a CapeCodTackle gift card I have and give that as the prize ;)

GregW
05-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Need everyone to vote so we can close this out.

JLH
05-29-2012, 09:27 AM
I disagree, you entered the tournament and put in time. Plus the esteemed honor of short fish undoubtedly belongs to you after reading Johns first hand account.

I agree with tysdad and see no reason why you shouldn't be eligible for a prize.