View Full Version : American Sniper

spence
05-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Anyone else read it? By Chris Kyle a SEAL sniper who had over 150 confirmed kills in Iraq.

Very interesting book. It's really raw...Good thing he's a great warrior cause he'd never make it as a writer :hihi:

-spence

DMenace
05-01-2012, 11:33 AM
I have it lined up as one of my next few reads on my kindle, but I haven't bought it yet, should I? On a 1-10, what would you say?

Rockport24
05-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I'll wait for the movie!

Sea Dangles
05-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Good read. Seals like to kill the enemy. 1200 yard kill... wtf!

That is why aholes don't fork with us.

spence
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I have it lined up as one of my next few reads on my kindle, but I haven't bought it yet, should I? On a 1-10, what would you say?
It's definitely worth reading and gives a very straightforward perspective on the kill or be killed aspect of war. As a book it's not written all that well, but the human element is very intriguing and gets to a more fundamental part of people fighting.

I'd almost go as far to say it glorifies violence in a video game sort of way. While some pain is discussed it's not balanced.

His longest confirmed kill was at 2100 yards, pretty amazing...

SD sums up the theme of the book very succinctly :hihi:

If anyone wants my copy I'll gladly send it to you for a 10 dollar donation to GregW's Run to Home Base site...

-spence

MotoXcowboy
05-02-2012, 09:08 AM
American Sniper was pretty good, worth reading. I enjoyed the first hand accounts of all the different setups, sniper hides, firefights, and kills.

The best Navy Seal book I ever read was Marcus Lutrell's "Lone Survivor" I could not put that book down..

Every American should read it.

DMenace
05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I did read "Lone Survivor". It is an incredible book, I couldn't agree with you more.

Swimmer
05-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I saw a brief interview with the author. He said he wrote it, breaking the usual silence surrounding snipers, because someone was writing a fairly complete book about that activity and he wanted everyone to know the truth. 150 kills is a pretty thick book.