View Full Version : Worcester Show

Saltheart
02-03-2001, 04:47 PM
I went yesterday and was in and out very quickly. Not too much there. There seemed to be as many people selling beef jerky and /or hot sauce , as there were selling gear. I got some 8' inch curltail grubs from Newport lures at a good price but I saw few "Show Specials" that would be worth mentioning.

JohnR
02-03-2001, 05:40 PM
Not much rod making gear and components or decent tackle?? I still may go tomorrow but I guess it won't hurt as much if I don't

Mike P
02-03-2001, 05:59 PM
I think these big shows lost a lot of their appeal with the advent of the internet. I used to wait with bated breath for the Suffern, NY show every year to get the new tackle catalogs and a look at all the new stuff--I never expected any real deals, taking into account what exhibitors must pay for a table at these mega-shows. Now, by the time the shows roll around, I've seen everything 5 times on-line and know exactly what new gear is out. I'll never forget the Abu booth a couple of years ago--the rep was talking up this hot new reel coming out in the fall called the Mag Elite and I already owned two ;-) Another kick I get out of these shows, many companies hire "rent-a-reps" just to stand in the booth, and I love to ask them an elementary question and get pure bull in response.

I still go to the Suffern show, but I don't bring that much extra cash--it's a nice day out and a chance to see the new stuff hands-on. Plus, Mark Leggert's Newport Lures booth usually has some worthwhile stuff.

There's two shows worth going to, for me--the NYSF show in two weeks, and the MSBA show. The NYSF show is Mass Bass on a smaller scale, but you can get some bargains there. Not just saying it because of present company, but the MSBA show is the Rolls Royce of all of them for the saltwater fisherman.

JohnR
02-03-2001, 06:42 PM
I went to the MSBA show two years ago and the ABU rep, Mike I forget his last name, said there was no such thing as the Mag Elite even though I had already talked to a few people about them on the net. After that show and after meeting Saltheart at the West Wall. I called Mike T and went down and got a MagE for me and a 6500 Big Game for Stevie Van Stal (which he later lost). The next year, at the Worcester show, he said it was a POS when compared to the Big Game and we shouldn't worry about a reel that will never end up on our shores and like Mike P said for him, I already had two at that time }>

The MSBA show was good the last few years up 'til last year when it got alot bigger and went 2 days. There have been ALOT of shops at last years show with good deals on LOTS of different gear. Can't beat it for selection and prices...

You get many area tackle shops, lure manufacturers, rod builders, you name it...

fisninrookie1
02-04-2001, 10:45 AM
When and where is the MSBA show?

fisninrookie1
02-04-2001, 10:47 AM
OOps, I just found the other posts...sorry!

JohnR
02-04-2001, 04:24 PM
Hopefully we'll see you there Fishinrookie...

GS, I never made it to the show today, slept until 9am, a beautiful thing 8)

Slipknot
02-04-2001, 08:27 PM
I went to the show today John, you didn't miss much - crowded.

Although I did see Chris L and BillB and I met Ragfly(Pete) from team ledgelizard. The Chunker of Death was checking out a possible new Death Staff. I got a few plugs, saw the bald eagles and falcons. My dad caught the lumberjack show. He was checking out the rods for something lighter to toss plugs, but I think he'll wait till the MSBA show. Tim Coleman wasn't there.

JohnR
02-04-2001, 09:59 PM
I woke up around nine this morning when my wife joyously announced that the baby slept, for the first time, completely through the night. It was 10:30 by the time the coffee kicked in enought to realize the show was today....

A new Deathsaber for Ledge Vader??

Would have liked to run into you guys today and would have been good to see if the those ledgelizards are truly demonic like legend says :P .

Slipknot
02-04-2001, 10:05 PM
They are definately a HOOT . But I don't think he purcased one , he was handling one.

Congrats on the shut eye. I still remember the first time my son slept thru.

Jenn
02-04-2001, 11:24 PM
John you made me laugh with your 9:00A.M.!!! I hardly get to sleep in and sundays are my day to (occasionally) but I was wide awake at 6:00!!!! the strange thing is I caught a fishing show all about stripers at 6:30 this morning! Coincidence or what??

JohnR
02-05-2001, 07:57 AM
Jenn,

Cooincedence my ###. Was it a good TV show? Mosy ot the tv shows on stripers have been pretty weak. Speaking of tv shows, I heard that Al Gags will be doing a fishing show on ESPN soon for Northeast Saltwater Fishing... That might be interesting as he can be hilarious.

Jenn
02-07-2001, 01:16 AM
It was OK....it was mostly fly fishing (which interests me but I have no clue) and it was in NC. I do have to admit though they were getting WAY to excited over such teensie fish!!!!

It is kind od cool though I have been finding a LOT more on tv about stripers, some good...some not so good....but at least it keeps me from drooling on myself.......