View Full Version : Fish Attractants

N.ShoreFisher
05-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Just wondering if anyone uses some of those Fish Attractants that I've seen online and in the bait stores....like BioEdge or others? Do they work? Or is it just another thing to take up room in my bag?:fishin:

WESTPORTMAFIA
05-13-2012, 02:49 PM
I use bio jigging shads. As far as knowing if the work is to ask the fish and they are usually quiet about it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

redlite
05-13-2012, 02:53 PM
not so sure about attractants, but I know the deterants I use work like magic............

FinS 32
05-13-2012, 04:15 PM
some of my friends, really like smelly jelly. I use none of that stuff though, with the one exception of gulp juice for fluke

pbadad
05-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Tried smelly jelly for the first time this spring. smear it on tghe plugs, rubbers etc. Lets say Im hooking well maybe coincidence but confidence on every offering. I spread the gel on b/4 i leave with the plugs in bag that night. I figure it can't hurt and the nights i leave work Auto tech ) smell of oils mask my hands.

numbskull
05-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Flap swore by smelly jelly, particularly on needles, and he certainly took more than his share of impressive fish.

fcap60
05-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I use it and I think, without any scientific evidence, that it helps.

Raven
05-13-2012, 05:22 PM
i won't leave home without it
i use crayfish oil allot
but man does it reek!!!

i think it improves the bite by 50-75 %

My only gripe is that due to spillage
i've had it ruin the finish on certain plugs
wrinkling the paint into a mess...

so your application method has to be "perfect"

and well rinsed off later....

Rappin Mikey
05-13-2012, 06:23 PM
I think it works

stripermaineiac
05-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Well when the guy next to me is using the same darter I am an out fishing me 4 to 1 by puttin that herring scent onhis darter. I had to try it. worked great. I even make a scent plug so to make it last longer. some days it makes all the difference. Ron

GattaFish
05-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Works.... I find on nights that the fish will hit but not commit adding a smidge gets them to take it fairly aggressively....

I also know of a fifty taken on a plug that had it on it......

chefchris401
05-13-2012, 07:41 PM
i soak my sluggos in the bio edge eel potion, ive outfished guys with live eels side by side before, that was good enough for me. The stuff sticks like crazy but has made some slow nights into great ones.

Ive had some soaking for over a year now, cant wait to break em out this season.

I keep my soft plastics in one of those berkley liquid gulp containers, nice and sealed tight.

Want to try the smelly jelly this season and the stuff gatta fish is talking about.

GregW
05-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Works.... I find on nights that the fish will hit but not commit adding a smidge gets them to take it fairly aggressively....

I also know of a fifty taken on a plug that had it on it......

I've found similar experiences with bigger hits after putting that stuff on, and had many fishless days or nights when some attractant changed my luck. I always have some in the bag. Strangely I always get a hit 2 or 3 casts after putting it on the plug, but never the next cast. weird.

GattaFish
05-13-2012, 08:18 PM
I've found similar experiences with bigger hits after putting that stuff on, and had many fishless days or nights when some attractant changed my luck. I always have some in the bag. Strangely I always get a hit 2 or 3 casts after putting it on the plug, but never the next cast. weird.

You picked up the darters very well on our canal trip.... maybe next will combine attractants with something else like mastering the needlfish next time I get you out,,,,

zimmy
05-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Smelly jelly

JamesJet
05-13-2012, 08:46 PM
I basically think it can't hurt... The only thing to remember is it really is probably not good to leave on plugs and it makes they very slippery; so if you use a plug as a "handle" at times be careful. I am planning to experiment with it while cod jigging this year as I am sold it can make a difference for bass even if its just a confidence thing.

bigpopper
05-13-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm going out tomorrow & getting some. previous post convienced me.

scottw
05-14-2012, 06:49 AM
I've used the BioEdge Squid for sometime, also using the 1 ounce Smelly Jelly Squid which is small and easy to carry along, I think it just tickles one more of the senses that will induce a strike, great for bucktailing

advice...get some electrical tape, a swivel and some leader material and tape the swivel to the jar lid and attach to the body of the jar via the leader material with tape as well, losing the lid when you are out on the rocks is a real drag....

Back Beach
05-14-2012, 07:41 AM
not so sure about attractants, but I know the deterants I use work like magic............

Your breath stinks, no doubt about it.

Jackbass
05-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Gulp Jerk shads can be money on a jig head in certain colors. I think fish will tend to keep something in its mouth if it tastes like bait as opposed to rubber. I put all my plastics in something for the most part

Sea Flat
05-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Hogy Fresh Scents, especially calimari this time of year.

slow eddie
05-14-2012, 09:59 AM
for a long time now i've put a cotton ball soaked with mehaden oil in a sip locked bag and put my cocohoes, storms and the like.
i cannot say for sure that it works, but the scent reminds me of, never mind.

GregW
05-14-2012, 10:10 AM
You picked up the darters very well on our canal trip.... maybe next will combine attractants with something else like mastering the needlfish next time I get you out,,,,

Sounds good to me. I need to improve my skills with needlefish.
Let me know when.

fishysob
05-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Mikes lunker lotion in menhaden. Sticks to plug so lasts long. Super stinky and oily. Cant argue with the results Ive had

hooked
05-15-2012, 03:37 PM
I've had some success with rubber soaked in bunker oil, but it may just be psychological. Since I'm inland, I'm thinking about soaking some Uncle Josh's Tube N Worm Strips in Sandworm Potion for the times when I can't get to the bait store.

Liv2Fish
05-18-2012, 07:17 PM
So, how about the opposite? I make some of my own jig heads for soft plastics and typically spray them with black or white Rustolium.

It definitely has an oder when dried, at least for a while anyway.

Raven
05-19-2012, 04:09 AM
now there's an idea :think:
a paint additive that attracts fish :uhuh:

Liv2Fish
05-19-2012, 03:54 PM
now there's an idea :think:
a paint additive that attracts fish :uhuh:

I could only imagine what my plug bag would smell like after a week in the trunk....:yak5:

I was more so wondering about the affects of the paint / chemical smell on the fish. If attractants work to invite a strike, will the latter have the opposite affect? Does anyone else use Rustiolium to paint jig heads?

iamskippy
05-19-2012, 06:12 PM
just bring tyler with you andy may rent him out soon, hes the best fish attractant there is.