View Full Version : How early is Early?

JohnR
05-15-2012, 06:34 AM
Everything seems to be early this year? Fish are early? Bigger Fish are early? Does this cause the killer June to happen NOW?

Will the Dog days of August come early?

Rockfish9
05-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Things have a way of evening out... this month has been below average( temp wise)... the rain fall we never got ( leaving us below average) has arrived and now flooding rivers and ponds...a cool rainy May may just put things back where they should be...now consider the moon...if the pattern holds.. the June full is on the 4th.... it could be a duesey...not knowing the warm weather( winter/spring) was going to advance everything by two weeks... I hedged my vacation on the new ( IMHO a less favorable) moon...it's going to be interesting how this plays out...

niko
05-15-2012, 07:21 AM
i think it will just be an extended spring bite. boston water temps are right on track, the warm winter/spring has not got the water any warmer than usuall. macks were a little early though

Rockfish9
05-15-2012, 07:34 AM
i think it will just be an extended spring bite. boston water temps are right on track, the warm winter/spring has not got the water any warmer than usuall. macks were a little early though

yea.. but the bass are WAY early.... we never see 30lb in the Mac until june..Schoolies arrive the first week in may.. we've had them a month now..on the other hand.. I've never been a big believer in water temps effecting Migrations to a large degree... creatures tend to migrate related to the length of the day ...IMHO.. the early start, is more directly related to the distance the fish have had to travel... the warm fall kept a big slug of fish north of the traditional wintering grounds...I'll be curious to see if the Hudson has a banner spawn this year...

Piscator
05-15-2012, 08:06 AM
seems like there is a lot more bait around too. More so than some past years, Could be do to the bait staying farther North with the warm winter too and getting here earlier?

bart
05-15-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm worried that my week during the NM in July will be unproductive because the water temps will push the fish offshore. I fish deep water during that time, but I'm not sure it will make much of a difference. We'll see...

rizzo
05-15-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm worried that my week during the NM in July will be unproductive because the water temps will push the fish offshore. I fish deep water during that time, but I'm not sure it will make much of a difference. We'll see...

Thats a good time to be out! Just pick the right general area to start. Under the right conditions, the big girls will move in. They'll feed in very shallow warm water (just make sure its near some deeper water) if there is a good reason for them to be there.

Jim in CT
05-15-2012, 08:39 AM
The squid run in the Watch Hill - Fishers Island area started early this year (in my observation), and it's the best squid bite I've seen in several years.

bart
05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Thats a good time to be out! Just pick the right general area to start. Under the right conditions, the big girls will move in. They'll feed in very shallow warm water (just make sure its near some deeper water) if there is a good reason for them to be there.

I know TRADITIONALLY it's a good time, but this year has me concerned. You know where I fish. The lack of bait the last 7 years is a concern as well..

Raven
05-15-2012, 12:07 PM
just a longer season
hate the "flash on" heat
el nina has evaporated
so they say.........

rizzo
05-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I know TRADITIONALLY it's a good time, but this year has me concerned. You know where I fish. The lack of bait the last 7 years is a concern as well..

I wouldn't fish there but some places close by have potential! :boots:

bart
05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
I hear ya, loud and clear :) Maybe this year will finally be the year of the wetsuit for me. I didn't lose all that weight for nothing...

AL617
05-16-2012, 03:59 PM
When do those glow in the dark effers usually show up? I thought that was more of a mid summer thing, but the water up here is already lighting up with them? Could be normal, and i just dont remember. I do suffer from CRS :D
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device