View Full Version : Belgian Trappist

RIJIMMY
05-16-2012, 09:34 AM
I cant stop drinking belgian monk ales. I love the tripple- most are 10% alcohol and taste amazing. Maredsous is my favorite. Its hard to drink any other beer. Im becoming european beer snob

The Dad Fisherman
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
You better learn to embrace Shiner Bock.....

I like the Belgian Ales but I can only drink one or 2 of them (glasses not bottles)

JohnnySaxatilis
05-16-2012, 12:01 PM
One of my speeches for communication this semester was about the history of beer, one of the points was how monks brought back the popularity of beer after the roman empire almost killed it with their wine fad. Monks perfected the brewing process for times of fasting, where they literally survived off beer. And I went into how tappist brews are certified by the tappist monks organization and stuff.

Got an A BTW. no big deal :wiggle:

Ive only had one down in NC at this place called the flying suacer. but it was mighty delicious

RIJIMMY
05-16-2012, 02:17 PM
You better learn to embrace Shiner Bock.....

I like the Belgian Ales but I can only drink one or 2 of them (glasses not bottles)

stores are loaded with some decent belgians in TX. a few glasses gives me the same buzz as 5 beers.
I like shiner bock,decent cheap beer.

The Dad Fisherman
05-16-2012, 02:57 PM
There's Decent beer everywhere if you look for it. Shiner isn't a bad beer...especially on a hot summer day

spence
05-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Good Belgian's are pretty available.

Chimay Grande Reserve is the gold standard. Pirrat is great. The Delirium beers are usually pretty good. La Chouffe is usually great. Lots of lesser known stuff that's great...

My only thing is I've found the corked 750ml bottles to be much more consistent than the small capped ones. At that price point it's worth getting it right.

-spence

jon2465
05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
the westy bricks will be here soon BREAKING: Westvleteren Beer To Be Distributed In U.S. : Brewbound.com (http://www.brewbound.com/news/westvleteren-beer-to-be-distributed-in-u-s)

Nebe
05-16-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a Belgian Tripel fermenting right now :) ( thanks to saltheart for tech support)

My favorite Tripels are Delerium Tremens, Westmalle Tripel and Chouffe.
I find mardesous a little too rich in caramel favors.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
05-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Can't forget Duval. Mmmmm

Sea Dangles
05-16-2012, 10:39 PM
I have often wondered what the fuss was about. Guess I will try them again and attempt to educate the palate.

RIJIMMY
05-17-2012, 01:37 PM
dangles - they pack a hell of a punch and taste great. Orval is another good one. I like the 750ml bottles too, once I open I have to finish it.

Nebe - is delerium the one in the white/tan bottle with the elephant on it? I havent tried that yet.

The Dad Fisherman
05-17-2012, 01:46 PM
I think of the Belgian Trappist style as almost a Barley wine....almost

MikeD
05-17-2012, 02:09 PM
The Leffe Blonde is a good intro to the Belgian style. Its reletively affordable and comes in a 6 pack for about 10 bucks. Not as strong as the double,trips or quads. Think its about 6.5%. Beware though, stuff is addictive and they get pricey from there.

RIJIMMY
05-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Beware though, stuff is addictive and they get pricey from there.

tell me about it, Im getting fat and broke

RIJIMMY
05-17-2012, 02:27 PM
had this last night, very good

St. Bernardus Tripel - 99 at RateBeer (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/st-bernardus-tripel/2528/)

Nebe
05-17-2012, 03:11 PM
dangles - they pack a hell of a punch and taste great. Orval is another good one. I like the 750ml bottles too, once I open I have to finish it.

Nebe - is delerium the one in the white/tan bottle with the elephant on it? I havent tried that yet.
Yes. I don't reccomend the delirium nocturnem however... Dark and sugary. Go for the Tremens

spence
05-17-2012, 04:07 PM
The Leffe Blonde is a good intro to the Belgian style. Its reletively affordable and comes in a 6 pack for about 10 bucks. Not as strong as the double,trips or quads. Think its about 6.5%. Beware though, stuff is addictive and they get pricey from there.

It's one of the few beers with a characteristic Belgian flavor profile that's mass marketed in the US.

Blonde is good but I prefer the Brune.

One time in Luxembourg I was alone in this bar with a smoking hot bartender who had the hardest time teaching me how to pronounce Leffe properly.

She didn't speak any english and for some reason I just couldn't seem to get it :hihi:

-spence

Nebe
05-17-2012, 09:08 PM
This beer is awesome. Had a few pints tonight and was more than pleased.

Revival Brewing Saison (http://revivalbrewing.com/Revival_Brewing_Saison.html)

Saltheart
05-18-2012, 12:10 PM
I like Belgian Ales.

rphud
05-18-2012, 06:19 PM
If you look real close on the label you will see some Omagang's are imported from Belgium. Those have been my favs lately, but when push comes to shove I will go for the Quads most times.

Nebe
05-18-2012, 08:41 PM
I brewed 5 more gallons today! This batch was a simple Trappist ale. It will Probably be around 6.5% abv. :)

RIJIMMY
05-21-2012, 08:46 AM
I brewed 5 more gallons today! This batch was a simple Trappist ale. It will Probably be around 6.5% abv. :)

since I started this thread I believe you owe me a taste test. Will they be complete by 6/15?

spence
05-21-2012, 11:11 AM
You could not have brewed a Trappist ale as you sir are not a monk in a monastery.

-spence

RIJIMMY
05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
You could not have brewed a Trappist ale as you sir are not a monk in a monastery.

-spence

but I heard he took a vow of celibacy?

Nebe
05-21-2012, 07:17 PM

Har Har Har.

spence
05-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Nah, he just wasn't getting any. Not the same thing :hihi: