View Full Version : Just Another FISH Story...

NilsC
05-23-2003, 07:21 AM
I got my largest striper ever last night at the breechway, since I was alone with no one to witness it's just another fish story. Have to tell anyway, soooooo here goes:cool:

Got there around 8:30pm in the rain and drissle, not a soul in sight. I started fishing on the bottom jigging a storm :p nothing, not a bite. Changed colors on the storm, still to luck so I decided to change lures. Put on a yellow and white popper (no teaser because the hook was rusted.... gzzzz), and started fishing again.

I guess throwing a popper is a little different than using storms because I got a windknot on the line, I reeled in until I got to the knot. sat down and attempted to undo the knot. While I'm doing this the popper is floating slowly out the mouth of the breechway. I stand up and start to reel in the popper fast (faster than normal) to start all over....... BANG... the line stops, I can't see the popper.... it must be stuck on the rocks..... S#!t that's what you get for not paying attention.

So I move down I couple of rocks to see if I can see where the plug is stuck, no tension on the line I'm relaxed after the outburst. WHEEEEEEEEE goes the line I'm holding on to the pole for dear life, watching the line fly of the end of the tip. (guess it's a fish not a rock... :smash: ) I got the fish turned around when I was halfway down on the mono backing. She was going up and down the breechway for 5min before I could get her close to the rocks and climb/slide down to lift her out of the water.

MY BIGGEST STRIPER ever, I held her next to the rod, her tail on the ground and I marked off her nose on the pole so I could measure when I got back to the car. She was 36" long but with no witnesses it's just another fish story. I let her go so I could climb back up the rocks and go home to sleep.

Nils

:cool: :rolleyes: :cool::smash:

JohnR
05-23-2003, 07:25 AM
So I see you[ve discovered drifting out the breachway, eh?

I would recommend for safety sake that you don't fish the breachway solo until you have more experience with it. That place can bite ya in the butt rather quickly...

MountainBreeze
05-23-2003, 07:39 AM
Congrats Nils!

One question... Got Korkers??? ;)

BTW:
I had that happen a week or so ago w/ a hula popper and a LMB. Cast from yak' and got a knot. Worked knot out and, just as I looked up, I saw the popper slowly sinking. Took a second then it dawned on me so I gave a yank and reeled him in!

Not quite 36" though! ;)

BigFish
05-23-2003, 07:40 AM
:cheers: Great story NilsC. Congrats on your biggest lineside
to date and may you catch many more and larger this season.
I will drink this one and many more in your honor.:gu:

NilsC
05-23-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by JohnR
So I see you[ve discovered drifting out the breachway, eh?

I would recommend for safety sake that you don't fish the breachway solo until you have more experience with it. That place can bite ya in the butt rather quickly...

Yup, I discovered drifting the breechway... I was using sandworms last year... I'm going to stick to poppers now....:eek:

I agree that I should not fish alone on the breechway, In my defense I'm the guy with a PDF under his raingear and I'm using waders....

No korkers Rob, I have to invest in some. :smash:
I have to try the LMB fishing with you when I get another yak (hope I can one this year)

Bigfish, Thanks. I hope to catch a lot more this summer. This is the most fun I had since I was fishing with my father for Salmon. (I was a kid)

Nils

MountainBreeze
05-23-2003, 07:56 AM
You know... My boss just came over and told me about his LMB trip to Quabbin yesterday. He and a buddy got 43 fish and his biggest one, I kid you not, came when he got a knot. He said the plstic jerk sat for a good few minutes while he worked the knot out then, when he started to reel, WHAM!

You'd think we'd learn something from this!?!?!?! :smash:

BigFish
05-23-2003, 08:15 AM
NilsC, 1 oz. Gibbs pencil poppers in white w/red head, blue
and white, mackeral painted, pink and white, yellow and
white. Replace the tail treble hook w/a single 5/0 bucktail
hook and I promise you good things.:wavey: