View Full Version : Arrowheads

MotoXcowboy
05-21-2012, 06:42 PM
I've been wondering if any of you have found stuff or collect. I'd love to see some of your finds.

I'll start it off with this small birdpoint I found on a Warwick beach this year. This is called a Squibnocket Stemmed. It's from the Late Archaic to Early Woodland periods. Making it anywhere from 6,000 - 400 years old.

spence
05-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Back on our family vacations to Colorado we used to stop by this incredible Indian jewelery store called Charles Eagle Ploom south of Estes Park and near my grandmother's house. It was stuffed to the gills with silver and had an astounding collection of historic items. The guy was an Indian historian and even ran a philanthropy. He became a good friend of my grandmother and gave her a lot of traditional Indian jewelery which the family has unfortunately lost...

Charles was pretty old by then and we'd sit at his side by the fire as he told stories of the old west. At the end, he'd give every kid an arrowhead.

Little did I know they were all fakes :hihi:

Everything else in the store was real though. I don't remember much about Charles, but the store is still open...just a lot different.

I think that thing in your hand is a broken bit of clam shell :devil2:

-spence

Nebe
05-21-2012, 07:14 PM
I found an arrowhead fishing inside the narrow river a few years ago. It got lost in my last move, but it's in a box somewhere.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tattoobob
05-21-2012, 07:23 PM
I have also found them on the beach and also have no idea where they are

Clammer
05-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I found 2 clay pipes // while digging in the same place / 3 weeks apart .........dug there for 20 years before & af after /never another one .

dug up alot of lead dummy bombs & 50MM aa shells /

justplugit
05-21-2012, 08:50 PM
My Dad found quite a few arrowheads when he had his garden.
Most likely from the Oritani Trbe. My sister took the best one he had to school and
the point cracked off. My sister never lived it down. :doh: A lot of sibling rivalry. :hihi:
Our house is in the town history book because a liitle boy was lost and was
found asleep in a hammock on our porch. They mentioned in the story how
an arowhead was found in the yard when they were planting a red maple.
When I worked on my cousins farm as a teenager in Fairfax Va. there was an old barn in town full of civil war artifacts, musket balls, medals, Burnside Carbines you name it.
Who knew and who had the money to buy things like that at the time. :(

Karl F
05-21-2012, 08:59 PM
found a bunch over the years, most on my walks in Nickerson State Park, usually after a rainfall, some on the beach... Clammer, glad ya found a couple of yer old pipes!, ya prolly smoked something and forgot where ya dropped 'em. JPI.. what side did ya fight for in the Civil War? ;)

Clammer
05-21-2012, 09:55 PM
I think he got caught in the GOLD rush .......... that,s california gold ><><><

HESH2
05-22-2012, 06:47 AM
quite a few are found by a few people searching a certain river where i fish.

MotoXcowboy
05-22-2012, 09:01 AM
I found an arrowhead fishing inside the narrow river a few years ago. It got lost in my last move, but it's in a box somewhere.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I've heard that place is loaded or used to be. I've looked all over it and get skunked everytime.

MotoXcowboy
05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
I think that thing in your hand is a broken bit of clam shell :devil2:

-spence

Here's a few more.

MotoXcowboy
05-22-2012, 09:08 AM
I found 2 clay pipes // while digging in the same place / 3 weeks apart .........dug there for 20 years before & af after /never another one .

dug up alot of lead dummy bombs & 50MM aa shells /

That's pretty cool Mike, do you still have them? A buddy of mine said he knew someone that dug up a wooly mammoth shoulderblade with the arrowhead still stuck in the bone near Sally's Rock

MotoXcowboy
05-22-2012, 09:11 AM
quite a few are found by a few people searching a certain river where i fish.

I see a lot of stuff that comes out of those CT Rivers. I'd like to try there someday

G. S. Mayka
05-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Are you a collector or is that a random find ? I have close to 100 artifacts--- arrowheads, stone axes, awls scrapers etc. all found in R.I. by myself.A spear point at least 5000 yrs. old. A fun hobby.

MotoXcowboy
05-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Few more points..

MotoXcowboy
05-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Are you a collector or is that a random find ? I have close to 100 artifacts--- arrowheads, stone axes, awls scrapers etc. all found in R.I. by myself.A spear point at least 5000 yrs. old. A fun hobby.

Random finds, I hunt for them. I am dying to find a celt or an axe. Post pics if you can. thanks

G. S. Mayka
05-22-2012, 09:54 AM
I can't post pics. I live in Narragansett sometime if you are down this way you are welcome to stop by and look at what I have collected.

Clammer
05-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I still have them .
I dug up alot of old broken pottery too, but didn,t have enough sense to save it .

I also have probably thrown arrowheads back , cuz I don,t know what to look for :smash:

justplugit
05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
JPI.. what side did ya fight for in the Civil War? ;)

The right, didn't like the left . Still don't. :grins:
Nice collection Moto x
X C :btu:

Swimmer
05-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Karl, First Encounter Beach, up behind the chithouse on up to the hill where the monument is. Found a few arrowheads in that area. Should have looked more when I was a kid.

A buddy of mine who was a classmate of my wife for years has scavaged a particular area in my town. He never took me there but told me where it was. Another close friend of mine has offered to walk me in there. I think I'll take him up on it. Lots of indian relics

Jimbo
05-22-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm like Clammer, I never got the nack for recognizing arrowheads very well. My grandfather had a big collection he got on Cape, a lot of it during a reconstruction at Bass River Golf Course, which had been the site of an Indian village at some point. Finding stuff a little more current I can do. A stretch of Bass River I visit each year gives up clay pipe parts, parts or whole old bottles. I'm always on the lookout for sea glass.
My father is more for the history scavenger hunts. Every time I'm visiting the Cape he's got intel on anything from a lone couple of headstones from Smallpox victims out in the woods somewhere, or he'll decide he wants to find the gravestone of John Dos Passos first wife that died in a car accident on the Cape. And he's never at a loss for places we might find glass insulators (usually guarded by the most healthy of poison ivy bushes).

Karl F
05-22-2012, 04:07 PM
BTW.. IF you are anywhere in the National Seashore, and see any kind of Indian artifact...do NOT pick it up, .. the rangers do not like that.. a co worker who was walking CG in Eastham got quite the riot act this winter, while picking up rocks, for his stone garden.. the ranger went thru his bucket, and went ballitic over a half busted hatchet head (rock) in the mix.. .."Indian Artifacts are not supposed to be disturbed in the Seashore.. you could be fined!!!"..
:rolleyes:

Karl F
05-22-2012, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=justplugit;940342]The right, didn't like the left . Still don't. :grins:
[QUOTE]

you ol johnny reb you!.. bet ya still got your grey cap, and do a mean rebel yell!

justplugit
05-22-2012, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=justplugit;940342]The right, didn't like the left . Still don't. :grins:
[QUOTE]

you ol johnny reb you!.. bet ya still got your grey cap, and do a mean rebel yell!

Been known to do a lot of rebel stuff almost as much as a friend I got up/down in Orleans. :hihi:

piemma
05-27-2012, 02:10 AM
I have found them, by accident, when digging on my land here in Burrillville. Had a perfect flint arrowhead I found years ago but I have not seen it in years so kids probably took it and lost it.