View Full Version : Pt Jude Cutlass repro

blondterror
05-24-2012, 04:40 PM
I traded a tiger maple needle with Martin W @ the recent Bourne Lure collectors show for a couple beater Cutlass 1 oz and 1.75oz. Cool swimmer that was made up until the early 70s. here is my take with a handmade cupped lip on the 1.75 oz version... it came out a little on the heavy side about 2 oz

Made it in WRC

Does anyone have any extra Cutlass lips?

numbskull
05-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Difficult plug. Did you off center turn it?

blondterror
05-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Traced the 2 planes onto a block of WRC. Drilled the thru hole using my lathe from each side

I cut it on my BS in the vertical plane... then taped it up and then cut it on the hortizontal plane... then sureform , handplane, and block sanding. I cut the diving plane on the table saw before

Plug has one slug of lead just aft of the belly hook

making the cupped lip was the hardest part... I need a better method for making cupped lips and the attachment tabs... Paul M must have ways to do this in thin SS with his typical precision...The lip must match the curve of the plug belly... not easy to do well

nolanis5
05-27-2012, 07:37 AM
how about freshwater spinner blades, colorado etc....to make lips, already have the concave shape....nice job !

pbadad
05-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Nice work. Thats a hard design with all the hand work. I want to do offset turning over the winter. saw it done a few years ago @ Plugfest by PNG. i think you need two spur centers, 1 drive and one live center. I see Penn State carries these. i feel the zest for lure making is waning so another design avenue is lurking. I like your example of a differentmodel. I hope you fish it and catch a biggie.