View Full Version : Stealth...Baaaahhh

redlite
05-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Based upon the good words being said about the new Stealth line, I decided to spool up one of my Penn 6500's with 20 lb. Stealth to replace the 20 lb Fire line that I have been using on it for the past 2 seasons. Now, I am not sure if it is the line or the way it is put on the spool, (can't be user issues!!!) but I have had absolutely nothing but problems with it. I had it spooled up this past weekend at a respectful Cape tackle shop. Seems that frequently when casting, it develops loops that come from deeper in the spool, come out, and bird nest. I have it down from the lip a good distance because I found that you can't fill the spool with braids or this type of thing happens where the line peels off too fast. I have now lost about $50 worth of plugs from this happening during the cast and the line snapping as it wraps around itself. I brought it back to them once, they ran it off and put it back on, saying that it was put on wrong and was looped underneath. Gave me a hat for my troubles. What about the probably $10 in line that had been wasted so far? Now the same problem has been happening again. I spend more time retying setups and picking out knots than fishing. They looked at the reel to ensure that the reel wasn't laying the line on the spool wrong. The reel has been used about 20 times. Now, I have to drive all the way down to the respectable tackle shop and tell them to take this crap off my reel, and reimburse my $45 I spent on it. I am curious if the issue is that 20 lb Stealth is inapproriate. Would some of these issues (perhaps wind knots) be eliminated by going up to 30 lb? I never in 2 years had problems like this with Fireline, but to get away from the fraying that happens to Fireline, I wanted to try this stuff. I have no faith in it to this point. Please provide feedback if anyone has experienced similar issues with this line and perhaps remedies.
Thank you.

Big Vern
05-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Small line roller on the Penn is causing you the problems. I experienced similar problems with whiplash on a Penn spinner. Fireline's the only one for fussy spinning reels like Penns, and I swear by the 14 lb test.

Krispy
05-23-2003, 10:37 AM
I had the same problem w/ Whiplash on a soft tip rod and Penn reel. I think it was because of the suppleness of the line and soft tip that would bounce back a bit it would wrap itself easily. Also the loops would form from the reel too. I would either go with a heavier test Stealth, like 50 to 65lb, or back to Fireline

likwid
05-23-2003, 10:48 AM
NEVER had any issues with spider on either of my pen spinning

and fireline has been fine on levels... *shrug*

although i will say, penn reels aren't as fussy as people claim they are ;P

take better care of yours and they'll take great care of you.

macojoe
05-23-2003, 11:03 AM
I have it on a conventional set up and have never had a problem. I had a friend that put spider wire on a spining set up one time and it was never right. I watched him pull the whole spool of line and dump it.
I have never used a braid on spinning outfit in fear this would happen to me.
I love it on all my conv. but will never put it on Spinning.