View Full Version : Mike P, 1208 - 1209 users

East Tide
02-04-2001, 06:17 PM
Mike and anyone else who uses both of these sticks, I have a 1209 which is 9'3" cut from the tip. It's real stiff and I like to use it with my 7000C and braid to jig. I had a 10' 1209 that is no longer in use (warranty) that I thought had a super fast action with a stiff butt. I want a rod to plug 2.5- 4 oz's that has a more moderate action. I used to really like to fish the Lami SSB 136-2m cut to 10' mostly from the tip. I liked being able to load it up and get the mono stretched a little before launching bigger plugs. I checked out a 1208 blank today and figured if I cut it back about 6-7" I could put a # 12 or 14 tip and it would do the trick. I have never seen one built up so I don't know the action that well, seemed a little fast as well. I built a 1089 last year that I think is a little wimpy even though it should be able to handle what I want, I like it for casting 1 oz metal for Albies. Anyways, looking for some input. I rather stay with the cost effextive Saber but need a solid 9.5" plugging stick. Will use the 975 with 25 lb Big Game. Hate to be "that guy" with this question but I don't have to much more time to research. Thanks guys.

Mike P
02-04-2001, 08:05 PM
Hi Dave--I've never been a big fan of the 10' Sabre blanks. I had the 1209 done full length, and hated the action. If I was going to cut one 6" from the tip for a plugging stick, it would probably be the 1208. Maybe even the 1207. I like the All-Star blanks better, their 1208 realistically handles 1 oz at the low end up to about 5 oz, give or take, at the high. It supposedly has a 9/64 tip, so you may not have to take as much from the tip to get where you want it. Downside, it costs $115 from Mike T as opposed to $75 for the Sabre 1208. They call the action "moderate/fast" but it may still be faster than you like.

Another option you have is the black Lamiglas 120 1L blank. According to the specs, it has an 11/64 tip. So, if you cut the tip ever-so-slightly to a size 12, and then take the blance of your unwanted length from the butt, you might have something very similar to your cut-down S-glass 2M. Or, something very similar to my current favorite, the Fisher 8720 that Jeff H steered me too last year, that I chopped 6" from the butt. Perfect for both plugs and light jigs in the Canal, and man, can it put some pressure on a fish in the current. Unfortunately, that was a rare find, Fisher went out of business a few years ago.

East Tide
02-08-2001, 01:08 AM
Mike what would be your number one choice for a large plugging rod. No jigging, just big wood. I will pay for Arra, rather not. I love the feel of a XRA1205 but am afraid of the consequenses of breaking it, mainly me losing my s***! I need to make a decision and I have to build an eeling rod too ( I like the GLB 108MH, broke one of those!).
THanks again Mike.

MikeF
02-08-2001, 10:46 AM
Hi Dave,
FWIW, I'll concur with Mike on the Sabre 1209. I had/have one. I built one and can't really say that I loved the action. It has a real stiff butt section and is very fast. The main problem that I had with it was that it cast a very narrow range of weight well. It did well with something like 4 to 4 1/2 ounces. Anything more and it seemed overloaded. If you used less it felt like you were tossing a potato with a pitch fork.
Alas after only about a month it broke. It broke while casting a 4 1/2 ounce eelskin rig. I've had a replacement blank for almost a year, but am in no great rush to rebuild it.
I'd also follow Mike's advice about looking for a different blank.

East Tide
02-08-2001, 08:27 PM
Thanks Mike F, I actually have built 3 1209's but was wondering about the 1208. My favorite action on a 1209 to date is one I cut to 9'3" from the tip. As Mr. Daignault would phrase it " stiff as a pool cue. I actually really like jigging heavy metal and bucktails with this. BTW, I have found some 3.5 oz eel skin jigs I like with solid hooks but where or where did you get 4.5???!!! I'd love to know. THanks.

East Tide
02-08-2001, 11:21 PM
Mike F, What is your favorite big wood ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g stick for the Canal? Forgot that the first go around :0

MikeF
02-09-2001, 07:58 AM
Dave,
I got the eelskin rigs (4.5 oz. single hook) at the shop next to the Xmas Tree Shop. He also had eelskins. They seemed to be freshly skinned and therefore were sort of fragile. The best skins are from winter speared eels that have sat in salt for several months.
I don't use anything high tech for plugging. I use the same 10' Harnell that I 1st used there in the early 60's. It doesn't cast quite as far as the fast action graphites but it has lasted 40 or so years w/o breaking. In my opinion, it fights fish better than graphite. Besides I know just what to expect from it.
There are a ton of blanks that would make fine plugging rods for the big plugs used in the Canal. You will get used to whatever you choose. A slower action rod will generally handle a much wider range of lure weights well than a faster action rod.

Saltheart
02-09-2001, 11:35 AM
It sounds to me like you've tried all the Sabre tenn footers and want more. I would suggest looking at the All-Star 1208 for plugging. Its a little more money than the Sabre but its also a little more rod.

Mike P
02-09-2001, 02:20 PM
Dave--the best all-around big plug rod I have is an S-glass one. Unfortunately, it's the S-glass that Lami doesn't make any more, the SSB-136 2F. But, what I would probably do now if I wanted a glass stick for the big wood is take about 4" from the tip of the 3M S-glass, and then take whatever you want from the butt. Maybe 6" to make it 10-6 overall.

In graphite, both the All Star 1208 and the Ron Arra model 1322 work for me. The All Star is 10', the Arra 11'. The Arra costs about $100 more for the blank. Mike doesn't normally carry the Arra blanks, but I'm sure he could get it for you. Both throw 1-4 oz comfortably, although 3 oz is like the sweet spot.