View Full Version : Sandwich for a family vacation?

Jim in CT
06-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Getting close to nailing down a family vacation (kids are now age 6, 3, 1) for the week of June 16th. My wife had decided on a house in Eastham (right on Kingsbury beach),but then she found one in East Sandwich that is also right on the sand and on the bay. The house is one house away from conservation land that looks like a marshy area.

Anyone know that area? Nice for kids? Do you get tidal pools at low tide that kids can splash in to find crabs?

JohnnyD
06-05-2012, 08:47 PM
To all your questions... yes. That area is pretty nice and there are a number of areas that are kid friendly (and a couple that are not so safe). Bonus for you, a little northerly wind and the fishing can be good too.

Mike P
06-05-2012, 08:48 PM
It's a nice area. Little quieter than down-Cape. Sandwich is about as "Olde Cape Cod" a place as still exists. If your wife likes antique shops, Sandwich has 'em.

striperman36
06-05-2012, 09:11 PM
One of the most relaxing places on the cape. Didn't fish much, spent most of the time just hangin on the beach
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishbones
06-05-2012, 09:50 PM
East Sandwich beach is great for kids. Very shallow and no big dropoffs at the beach. That time of year the water will be cold, though. Probably not bad for the kids, but you might freeze your nuts. We've gone there in August and had a great time.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Squid kids Dad
06-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Love Eastham on the bayside..Water will be a lot warmer than the ocean side,and at low tide a lot of tidle pools for the kids to investigate..crabs, minnows ect....1st Encounter Beach a plus..

JohnR
06-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Most areas nice for kids. Just remember that the water in those inlets / creeks moves faster than anything you have in CT. I pulled a kid out of Scorton's 5 years ago.

You MUST take the kids to the Fish Hatchery which is nearby of 6A - bring plenty of quarters for the fish food.

Go to the Sandwich Glass Museum. The Featured artist is Nebe from here (you owe it to him after battling in the Political Forum :hihi: )

Marshland has good Breakfast.

Great place to go on the Cape without spending a lot of time in the car.

Sgt Striper
06-06-2012, 10:52 AM
When I was a kid (many moon's ago) my parents rented a beachfront cottage in Sandwich for a few summers, I loved that place. Great to hear it's still a nice area. I'd move there in a heartbeat!!

pops02
06-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Id do Eastham. Not a whole lot here in Sandwich for the kids, aside from 1 minny golf course. There is the boardwalk / old Harbor which would be good for kids your age at low tide....the bay beaches, like someone said, is very cold, not very sandy....very rocky. Fish hatchery is cool, Heritage garden would be fun, tons of antiques and a few good restaurants. Eastham bay beaches are warmer, are all sand......tons of flats on a dropping tide, with tidal pools for the little ones.....minni golf, drive in.....movies in wellfleet.......tough decision.........id do Eastham

l.i.fish.in.vt
06-07-2012, 07:09 AM
''one house away from a marsy area'' might be nice if you like mosquitoes.

Finlander
06-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Yes the bugs have been bad when the wind drops, the no-see's thick on the beach, didn't have to worry about them in last weekend's gale.