View Full Version : Vacation switched to Truro, need suggestions

Jim in CT
06-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Sorry guys, it wasn't my fault. We had a house booked in Eastham, but I spoke to the landlord, and apparently his last tenants did major, major damage, so the house is out of commission. Fortunately, he knew of a similar house available in Truro, near Corn Hill Beach, the house is in an association called Corn Hill Landing, I think. The house is situated right on the bay, with a staircase going to the sand. Looks beautiful, and we saved a few bucks because of the situation.

My last email asked for suggestions in Eastham, to the extent that better suggestions would apply to Truro, I appreciate any and all.

Boys are ages 6, 3, 1. We'll hang out a lot right at the bay beach, but what else will they enjoy?

Mini golf, ice cream nearby? How about a movie theater in case it rains? Where's the closest Cape Cod league team? And family-friendly charter captains in the area (my 6 year old wants to try boat fishing)?

When we go to the ocean side, what are the best nearby beaches? I hear Truro is nice on the ocean side.

How about restaurant recommendations? We like casual, kid-friendly, not too touristy.

Can I fish right there? Can I clam?

Thanks again, this will be the last time, a bank check has been mailed...

JohnnyD
06-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Everything people said as suggestions for Eastham, pretty much the same for Truro. Check out Savory's pizza, expensive but pretty darn good.

Sea Dangles
06-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Wellfleet drive in
Bass Tavern...good food too.
Balston beach
wellfleet harbor
dinner at lobster pot in ptown.....go early
brewster whitecaps are closest but go to chatham and make an afternoon of it.shopping,squire,baseball,icecream

JeffH
06-09-2012, 06:27 AM
The ocean side beach would be Head of the Meadow or Ballston, there is more parking at Head of the Meadow and the parking is right up against the beach and doesn't have a bid dune you need to walk down.
All of the Eastham info still valid.
Closet Cape Cod League team is Orleans just google Cape Cod League they have a website. If you go stop at the Yardarm (they also have a website) in Orleans for dinner. It's a little place that has burgers for the kids all the way up to fresh seafood specials. Get there early then go to the game down the street.
Highland Links Gold Course its like your in Scotland.

Rappin Mikey
06-09-2012, 06:35 AM
Go hang out with BackBeach Jake. If you have a 4wd. You can buy a sticker drive that beach. Do you have a kayak?? I'll be out there in the end of that week banging the fish. If they show back up that is.

capecodder
06-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Montano's restaurant in N. Truro is excellent. A little pricey, but very good. We get takeout from there often. Check out Longnook Beach in Truro on the ocean side. Its town managed and the parking is at the top of the cliff. Kids will have a ball getting down, its a long hike up!

Closest grocery store is Grand Union in PTown on Shankpainter road. MOvies in Wellfleet.

Truro is the best... enjoy.

jlnel
06-09-2012, 09:13 AM
montanos is very good, fanizies(sp?) in ptown is nice, sits over the water at high tide, still... dont speed through eastham. I’d tell ya where the sit and hide but they are everywhere. grand union is now stop and shop i think, try and do errands early, traffic will slow you down

redlite
06-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Charter- Bobby Rice on the Reel Deal. He is a writer for OTW.
His restaurant is also top notch. Whitman House right on Rt 6. Has antique car in display case on front lawn.
No trip down there is complete without a trip to P-Town.
Go on late afternoon, lots of walking around, go up tower, check out fish piers, pizza dinner at George's across fom town hall, then sit on benches in front of town hall and people watch. Be lots of questions from your kids. Desert is fried dough from the Portuguese bakery on Commercial street. Be sure to pick up a loaf of Portagueses sweet bread.
Also they have the real honest to god ( new release movies) Drive in theater right there on Wellfleet Truro line. They usually have a giant flea market there on weekends.
there really isn't much in Truro to be honest.
Enjoy. I love it down there and miss it a lot.

Jackbass
06-09-2012, 11:06 AM
If Bobby rice is booked check out Mike Wisniewski on Jigged Up sportfishing
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

l.i.fish.in.vt
06-09-2012, 05:33 PM
''not much to do in Truro" that is the greatest thing about Truro,not much to do,but fish.if you are serouis about a charter,get in touch with Rich at Nelsons.he runs the Beth Ann.a very roomy Jason built boat.much more comfortable than a CC.personally i would stock the fridge and stay close to home.rainy days are great to play on the flats,get the kids use to nasty weather early,it pays off later on.plus you don't have to worry about sun burn. i probably won't be in the shop till the end of the month.if there are squid at the pier the kids would love it,..it is also a good place for the kids to hook up.a small hook and a small piece of bait will hook you up even if it is only some bergalls.as far as good places to eat i'd stay right in the yard and enjoy some good fresh seafood.

saltfly
06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
The Drive-in is at the Eastham/wellfleet line on rte6.Plus a movie theatre if that suits kids on a rainy day.You can fish /yak right off Cornhill Beach and fish the mouth of the Pamet rvr.
As a former[regretfully] resident of Truro I agree with John.Truro IS the reason to go there.Quiet and great for a family to be together.
Also in wellfleet at the corner of Lecount Hollw rd and Rte 6 is the Boulligure French bakery and bistro.Real french breads and pastries baked daily.Theres lines at 7 a.m. and at lunch time.Go late morning or mid afternoon.I drive from Orleans in the a.m. to walk my dogs on the beach[screw Nauset] at Marconi at 5 a.m. then go at 6:30 to the bakery.NOT cheap but MMMMMMMMM good!

RIJIMMY
06-11-2012, 01:51 PM
corn hill beach brings back a lot of memories. I remember snorkeling there and running into monster eels - 5ft long in the grass beds.
Beautiful area.
it might be tough with kids ages but the bike trail at race point and herring cove is may favorite trail, incredibly scenic. You can always rent bikes with one of the trailers on it