View Full Version : So Where is the $$$ Going?

BatesBCheatin
06-10-2012, 02:40 PM
MA EPO guys tell me that they have yet to see and most likely will not see any funding from the SW license. :smash:

So where is the money? Anyone know? Stuck in political limbo? After witnessing various indiscretions (and calling a few out) the last couple weeks - enforcement should be a top priority one would think? :rollem:

Rappin Mikey
06-10-2012, 05:48 PM
I believe it goes directly to the seal and plover protection fund. :smash:

Swimmer
06-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Plus it covers food and other expenses for those chosen people who sit and watch the plover nest. Sandwiches, drink, condiments............

ivanputski
06-10-2012, 09:28 PM
general fund!!! You didnt reeeeally think they went through all this trouble to implement this just so you could have a better quality of fishing did you??? Someone just realized that there were tens of thousands of fishermen out there doing something for free

OLD GOAT
06-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I wish we could find a way to hold the money in escrow to see that projects receive the money rather than just blowing it.

FishermanTim
06-11-2012, 11:38 AM
We are talking Massachusetts right?
If so, don't hold your breath waiting for a answer, let alone an intelligent one!
If you ask someone a direct question that only requires a simple direct answer like "Yes" or "No" or "the $$ went here..." and you get a stammering fool answer with a lot of "umms", "ahhs" and "Let me check with someone else" then yu can bet your arse that the money went into someone's pocket or went to fund some "wet dream" project that just so happens to be on their property!

Short story: they stole our money and blew it on themselves!!!!!

JohnnySaxatilis
06-12-2012, 07:58 AM
general fund!!! You didnt reeeeally think they went through all this trouble to implement this just so you could have a better quality of fishing did you??? Someone just realized that there were tens of thousands of fishermen out there doing something for free

bingo

macojoe
06-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Yep and this is why I will not and have not bought one!! I have my commercial and just fish for what is open.I have said it before if they get rid of commercial fishing in the 3 mile limit,to protect the inshore fishery, so we can catch something when we go out i will give up commercial fishing and gladly buy a permit!!

Mike P
06-12-2012, 11:25 AM

bingo

Actually, it doesn't go to the general fund. And that may be why the EP aren't getting any of the funds yet. The federal legislation that required licensing/registration specifically prohibits co-mingling license revenues with any other state funds. States are required to keep those funds in a dedicated account, under penalty of forfeiting their matching funds that they get from the Wallop-Breaux federal excise tax on fishing goods. If the state's EPs get paid out of the same fund as, say, the State Police, and state corrections officers, the license fees can't go to them, even though "enforcement" is an allowed use of the funds under federal law. The legislature has to act to enable DMF to send a portion of the license fees directly to the EP, if they get paid out of the general fund.

Since I don't know for sure whether EP funding comes out of the general fund, or from the overall F&W revenues taken in, I can't say for certain whether this catch-22 is why they're not getting the proceeds that are supposed to go towards enforcement. But, unlike many here, I have done my homework on the licensing law, and I know that the proceeds aren't going into the general fund. And in fact, over the years, not a single cent of FW and hunting/sportsmen licenses has ever gone into the general fund. By law those proceeds are kept in a dedicated fund, and any governor who has tried to glom onto them has been shot down by the courts. Mitt was the last one who tried it.

likwid
06-12-2012, 12:31 PM
But, unlike many here, I have done my homework on the licensing law, and I know that the proceeds aren't going into the general fund.

How DARE you pollute a BS thread with facts?!

bobber
06-17-2012, 12:16 AM
so then are the funds just sitting out there waiting to be used??/

Piscator
06-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Why buy a license???? It's a stupid thing to do! #^&Paul Perra (current Northeast Recreational Fisheries Coordinator for the National Marine Fisheries Service) was at a recent recreational fishing group meeting and was confronted with the same question. There is no enforcement of said license
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

numbskull
06-17-2012, 05:29 AM
Actually, it is short sighted not to buy one. The fewer documented recreational fishermen there are, the less our interests matter to those regulating the resource.

buckman
06-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Actually, it is short sighted not to buy one. The fewer documented recreational fishermen there are, the less our interests matter to those regulating the resource.

Must be why we have to have a gun license .....come on!!!

jredfly
06-17-2012, 07:39 AM
How DARE you pollute a BS thread with facts?!

Too friekin funny!!! :rotf2:

BasicPatrick
06-18-2012, 07:48 AM
I wish we could find a way to hold the money in escrow to see that projects receive the money rather than just blowing it.

We do...It's called the MA Recreational fishing Development Fund.

BasicPatrick
06-18-2012, 07:51 AM

I couldn;t agree more.

BasicPatrick
06-18-2012, 08:08 AM
So I am one of the 5 citizens appointed to the MA Recreational Fisheries Development Panel and ironically we are having one of our bi annual meetings today.

FYI...Last year after conforming to the Federal Law and approving some public informational literature we also approved building a fishing pier at the launch ramp along Highbank Road on the Bass River in Yarmouth. We selected this project because the public access board had already paid for permits and engineering to redo the launch ramp and thus the project was well under "retail value" The construction is going on right now so you can go see where the money is going.

FYI....I am happy to come visit any fishing club and provide an update in person.

Of course we need more enforcement of fisheries regulations however I will ask the direct question as to how more money will accomplish that? The EPO's are part of the State Police and are completely separate from MA Fish & Game. They worked very hard to split off years ago. They are already paid to enforce fisheries regulations. They assign more than 75% of their resources west of route 128. Another point is that I also do not want enforcement of the new license to take the place of enforcing size and bag limits. Bye the way, there was significant EPO presence in and around Chatham during that incredible commercial bite last year.

Live Long and Prosper

As far as the EPO's I have a few comments.

Duke41
06-18-2012, 08:13 AM
How about the head injury fund that is attached to every speeding ticketing. I have a friend that is a state trooper and he tried to find out where the money went to no avail. $5.00 per ticket. hmmmm

Piscator
06-18-2012, 08:47 AM

for the record I did buy one but what kind of message is being sent that the license is required yet not enforced, on top of that, they may send you a check (up to $500) if you are willing to turn in the required license that is not being enforced……..that is what is short sighted.. :smash:

The Dad Fisherman
06-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Bye the way, there was significant EPO presence in and around Chatham during that incredible commercial bite last year.

I've seen them cruising the State Pier in Gloucester numerous times and I had my license checked in Newburyport....also watched them check other people's licenses there as well.