View Full Version : fishing with wire

bassman
05-24-2003, 01:55 PM
I just purchased my first wire line setup and I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on how much depth on average you get for the length of wire let out. I just read the chapter on wire in a saltwater sportsman book on stripers and it was not to clear on it. I know the type of lure is a factor and I would most likely be using a large tube and worm or parachute jig. Also, I have 50#wire. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

beachwalker
05-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Hey,

I can give you information on the wire/parachute set-up.

Get your speed down to 2.5-2.75 kts. Let the line out until the jig starts bumping the bottom. You do this by releasing line by controlling the spool with your thumb making sure it doesn't pay out to fast. You can lose it and get a reel/wire ruining overide/backlash. Find the bottom by closing the bail and feeling for the bumping. When you get there start to reel back in until just after it stops. Then start jigging.

This method works in holes and sandbars with current. Speed is critical. To fast and you may just get bluefish.

Good Luck.

Good N You
05-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Anything over 30 ft deep use a 6 oz parachute. Attach a 6 inch piece of pork rind to the hook. Between the wire and the jig get some seaguar florocarbon. 20 feet of 25 to 40lb will work well. Bump it along just over the bottom as slow as you can with the current. When the water heats up fish go deep. This will be the best way to catch the fish.

rwilhelm
05-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Bassman there is a product called leadcore line. It has a different color for each 10 yards of line you let out, then there is a chart on the back to show you what depth that equals. It is a nice product.

MakoMike
05-27-2003, 01:03 PM
The general rule is 1 foot of depth for every 10 feet of wire. Be careful, your mileage may vary. IMHO you never want to touch the bottom, one hand could cost you your lure and all of your wire.

bassman
05-27-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanks to all for the info. I will try to put it to good use. But as we all know,practice makes perfect.

capesams
05-27-2003, 04:15 PM
depends on the bottom your going to fish.
rod...bt85 7s/// made by lamiglass
3/0 or 4/0 penn senator
80# backing
300' 40 # sst wire
some like 3' 40# leader...some like tieing the wire right to the jig itself
3oz jigs/smilin bills
this set up works very well from 27' to 40'.
always try to jig across the current is best, but in the summer with all the boats around it can b tough.
IF your not bounceing your jig across the bottom , you won't catch crap, not here in chatham anyways.

this set up will work well with umbrella rigs as well.
BUT not with tube an worm, you need LEAD CORE for that.

I LOVE WIRE:p

fishsmith
05-28-2003, 08:17 AM
Be very mindful of your thumb on the spool where the wire meets the leader and backing, it'll slice in your thumb if line is running off fast and the wire is exposed.