View Full Version : Top Ten Striper On The Grill Recipes?

jeffsod
05-24-2003, 04:17 PM
I was watching Dave Letterman last night and thought maybe a thread on Top Ten Striper On The Grill Recipes would be in order since this is the 'unofficial' kick off weekend of summer along with grilling in general and since a lot of guys are now getting their first keepers for the grill. I am sure it has been discussed before but always good to review these things to keep em fresh in mind. Anyone againest keeping a fish now and again may want to turn back now ;)

I personally don't have any really good recipes for the grill and that is part of my motive here. Last season I marinated some filets in Lawry's Ginger sauce for the recommended amount of time and cooked them up in tin foil on the grill. Flipping them half way done and the skin peeled off nice that way.

Anyone else think leaving the skin on while cooking adds a 'fishy' taste? Just curious. I been thinking about getting a basket to cook them in too.

Ok, so if anyone has a good striper recipe they want to share let's hear it.

JohnR
05-24-2003, 04:39 PM
Member Recipes :D : http://www.striped-bass.com/recipes.shtml

jeffsod
05-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks for pointing those out John!

RickBomba
05-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Jeff,
Cook the skinned fillet sized up into 11 to 12 oz pieces on the grill on high.
Sear the bone side well, filp and lower heat to cook skin side (make sure you season with salt and pepper).
Take off grill (carefully) and serve with mango salsa as follows:
2 ripe mangoes
1/2 red onion
1 ripe tomato preferably native
1 tblsp fresh basil
salt and pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 fresh lime
mix all ingredients together and chill. It's a super accoutremant to the seared flesh of the bass.
It's the only way I eat striper, at the restaurant or at home.
Later,
PM me if you want to get together Monday.
Rick

redcrbbr
05-25-2003, 05:43 AM
one word....

Lemon Pepper

ok so its's two:D

Raven
05-25-2003, 07:11 AM
i only use "WOOD" charcoal now! and will never ever buy charcoal briquettes again. They simply impart a nasty taste to food where as the hardwood coal makes food taste so good your saying "MMMM" a whole bunch! this particular brand name was cowboy charcoal ->100% wood with no chemicals. Its super light and i won't go camping without it either as a single bag can make a warm campfire even in the rain and make the all the difference between having a soggy unpleasant time to having a cool yet toasty pleasant camping experience.When traveling i rough it so i can spend the difference i would have spent on accomodations
on tackle.......Lures i bought years ago are catching fish today....
:laughs:

macojoe
05-25-2003, 07:56 AM
I like to leave the skin on. I think it aids in the holding toghter of the fish as you are turning it. And as you say it peels rt off when it is done.
And I am with redcrbbr in the Lemon pepper depatment!! Can't live with out that and I like Garlic!!
You make a rub up out of some garlic power or the real thing with some salt. Lemon pepper and if you have the some Lemon slices ontop and put in foil.
Wow I want some for breakfest!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Raven
05-25-2003, 09:08 AM
supposedly thats where it came from - breakfast - yeah like i sleep with a bag of fritos/cheetos eating & crunching in my sleep.
i think i'll head on over with a Jar of Rick Bomba's "mango salsa"
(sounds like a good name for a boat) man does that sound good.
would like to zoom maco joes for striper breakfest :o but... -> headin over to #^&#^&#^&#^&s sporting goods for a wader patch and more!

BigFish
05-25-2003, 09:55 AM
Raven, where can I buy this wood charcoal, and how much does it cost, size of bag, etc.?:thanks:

Raven
05-25-2003, 10:17 AM
i origionally bought it at bread and circu$ health food store then more recently i bought the cowboy charcoal brand at stop and shop and it weighs 8.8 pounds and cost me....$5.99 if it were more than that i would most certainly pay the difference.The taste of food cooked on 100% wood charcoal (no starter fluid needed or used) is unbelievable. i usually grab a cedar shingle or some other tinder wood (kindling) to get it going.:btu:

jeffsod
05-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Rick, I should have known to ask you. Good recipe. Making me hungry right now. No game plan yet as far as Monday goes.

Those wood briquets definetly sound like they are worth trying out and also the lemmon pepper which I have not tried at home either.

BigFish
05-25-2003, 10:29 AM
OK, here is a sure fire recipe for striper and it is very easy.:drool: First marinate a skinless filet in your favorite italian dressing for a
minimum of one hour. Second on a piece of tin foil lay a bed of romaine lettucce(at least three pieces, as this will keep it from sticking to the foil) Third place the marinated filet on the lettucce.
Fourth on top of the filet place thinly sliced fresh tomatoes(just enough to cover the filet). Fifth place thinly sliced onions(if you like onions) on top of the tomatos. Sixth shave sweet corn off of a freshly boiled corn on the cob onto the top of the onions. Finally,
sprinkle parsley flakes, a little pepper on top and fold the foil loosely over the top. I prefer to bake this on a grill but in the oven is OK, for 20 to 30 minutes, just check the fish before removing from grill to make sure it is fully cooked. The foil will have all the liquid in it so be careful and drain it into the sink, then just slide it right onto a plate by grabbing the lettucce. Serve with rice pilaf and maybe even a nice homemade chowder and man let me tell you it is awesome. This recipe will also make
bluefish taste out of this world.....believe it!:drool: Have a few beers with this and you are all set.:gu: :gu: Try it and let me know how you like it.:uhuh: :uhuh:

BigFish
05-25-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks Raven, I will try those with my recipe.

Raven
05-25-2003, 11:02 AM
yeah jeffsod, i agree about the fishy taste and that especially applies to swordfish steaks....so i cut it off....and as for fillet technique to remove skin i bought a plastic fillet board with the flip over nails to secure fish for running the fillet knife down.
Oh !the wife just said she saw the wood charcoal at Victory Super markets too... later

blackeye
05-25-2003, 01:11 PM
this isn't a grill recipe, but it is faaaaantastic

throw a couple of med sized filets on a cookie sheet covered in tinfoil, and smear it with the following mix.

1 lg container sour cream
1/2 cup grated processed romano
1/2 cup grated parmesean
1/2 cup chopped shallots
dash of tabasco

mix it up, cover filets with it, and sprinkle with paprika
bake @350 for 20 minutes and then throw under the broiler to brown the top.
got the recipe from a portagee I used to work with, and now it's my favorite (besides bass chowdah)

pokerplayer
05-27-2003, 09:11 PM
:D About 30 minutes before grilling, boil (yes, boil) 2 cups of fresh Orange Juice. Take off the stove when the juice is reduced to nearly a syrup.

About 15 minutes before grilling, rub the fish gently but firmly with chili powder, salt and pepper.

Grill skin side down nearly 7 minutes per inch thick, then finish with the grill cover on or in the oven. (Flip the fillet if confident you won't crumble it)

Ladle oj syrup on plate, (spiced with chili or sour fruit like lemon) and top nice RED chunk of fish on top.

The sweet and sour is best accented with imported beer or German wine

Raven
05-28-2003, 04:43 AM
how about giving us your bass chowder recipe too....please?