View Full Version : "Support the Troops Trip" Update

Big Water
06-16-2012, 03:43 AM
On this past Tuesday night I did a Commando run to Block to guide Kieran McGlynn co-winner of the "Support the Troops Auction". I arrived on the Island along with a storm, that seems my MO lately. Through plug making I had met Kieran before, but a bonus to the trip was that I would be co-guiding with Pat Abate from Rivers End Tackle in Ct. I know Pate from trips to the shop, but it would be the first time guiding with him. Pat is no stranger to Block and I deferred to him when it came to picking where to fish. Kieran at my urging was wetsuiting for the first time and Pat having left his wetsuit hanging in the shower at home. So that part of the guide fell on me. Pate quickly guided me to a 24lb bass at the first spot we fished, I could get use to this! At the next spot of Pat's choosing he got Kieren into a similar sized fish. Kieran got his fish on a Block Island Green Needlefish, he did his home work,you don't have to ask what I got mine on :)! I started Kieran off slowing as far as the wetsuiting was concerned. The East and South side were too big to get too far out but I got him into some very deep wading on the West side. Kieran was a pleasure to guide and a competent fisherman in his own right.Tom White and his support team of Pete, Julio, and Chuck were doing a great job putting on the trip. I need to go! I need to catch a Ferry back to Block to guide John the other winner! Gary R. Soldati

JohnR
06-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Nice!

Wish I was there :wall:

The Dad Fisherman
06-16-2012, 08:27 AM
You didn't make it John?

JohnR
06-16-2012, 08:46 PM
No, I was driving home and could not sit back was killing me.

ANY LUCK?
06-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Right on, Kieran!

fcap60
06-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I headed out there Friday and fished with Kieran and DZ Friday night. DZ knows the island well and we fished various spots with mostly missed fish and other hits on a variety of live eels and plugs.

As of Saturday, nobody was rushed to the hospital from my Friday night dinner, but my friend Peter Lajoie told me his wetsuit had the odor of "linguini and clam sauce" the next day.

I think all that garlic may have kept the fish away :rotf2:

agsurfr
06-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Frank you mean you didn't step out onto a rock at 11 pm and zing a 40 on the first cast???? Is it possible you are a mortal after all?

Seriously, sounds like everyone is having a good time at this great event for a greater cause.