View Full Version : why do people do this

kvn4
06-19-2012, 07:27 AM
went down to pond for a little freshwater fishing and off to my right i hear splashing in water and lots of squeaking near shore. ok baby ducks washing or playing .this goes on for five minutes straight so i go sneak over to see what the comotions about. well theres a duckling struggling at some weeds so i go through bushes and see its struggling and squeaking like mad in disstress.only way to get to it is into the water.well im fully dressed and without thinking here i go into the water and find hes tangled in discarded fishing line around his leg.after cutting the line and setting it off to be with his brothers and sisters all seemed good. well didnt catch any fish but felt good the rest of my time fishing.why cant people just take their line with them when they leave.them AHOLIES.

Jackbass
06-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Same reason people throw trash out of their cars. Same reason why you find bait bags all over the place. People just don't care. It's sad but it's true.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnnySaxatilis
06-19-2012, 10:13 AM
how bout DD cups right on the walkin paths, carcasses in the bushes stinking to high heaven next to the easy parking areas (which is the worst, ppl wonder why the locals are always pissed at fisherman) empty shad plastic boxes.

All I can say to myself is are you #^&#^&#^&#^&ing serious!?

BluesHarp
06-19-2012, 10:13 AM
During the off-season I walk the rocks looking at structure. I try to pick up as much discarded fishing line as I can find.

Figure it may bring me good karma during the on-season. Don't know if it works but I do feel good about lessing my own impact.

Just hate the me, me, me - screw you mentality some people exibit with there actions and lack of respect for the resource.

chapinfisherman
06-19-2012, 10:14 AM
out of sight out of mind

Rob Rockcrawler
06-19-2012, 10:31 AM
You want to se something disgusting? Take a look in my jeep after a weekend of fishing. All the garbage in the world laying all over the place. I have got miles of line in 24-26" pieces all over the place.

bart
06-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Because people are inconsiderate and for the most part oblivious. I will never understand why some people would trash some of the most beautiful places on the east coast. It's mind-baffling to me...

ThrowingTimber
06-19-2012, 05:31 PM
imagine the squalor these folks live in..

Hookedagain
06-19-2012, 08:44 PM
A few years ago I was fishing at a local pond and this guy came and started fishing close by me. He cast into a tree and cuts his line off, pulls as much as he could and rolls it into a ball. He drops it on the ground next to his empty container from his night crawlers. I asked him if he was going to leave it there and he said he would pick it up on his way back. I fished for another hour or so. When I left I took his trash and kindly dropped into the open sunroof of his car. He was bragging about how he had a Dodge Magnum wagon, and what was parked 30 feet from me....yup, a Dodge Magnum wagon with an open sunroof. It felt pretty good to do my part to clean up, and even better to dispose of it properly.

FishermanTim
06-20-2012, 01:03 PM
The same people that trash these areas are usually the first to bitch and moan if someone so much as drops a hint on THEIR property.

It definitely is the me, me, me mentality (with little emphasis on the "mental")

Maybe start posting signs claiming that the state is instituting a bounty on discarded fishing line? Say a nickel a foot?
Mention that they need to bring it to their local city hall and deliver to the head of the F&G dept.

Should be good for a few laughs.....

J_T_R
06-21-2012, 05:01 AM
how bout DD cups right on the walkin paths, carcasses in the bushes stinking to high heaven next to the easy parking areas (which is the worst, ppl wonder why the locals are always pissed at fisherman) empty shad plastic boxes.

All I can say to myself is are you #^&#^&#^&#^&ing serious!?

What's wrong with DD cups sitting next to a walking path. :nopics:

likwid
06-21-2012, 05:23 AM
Howabout racks left all over the launching ramp?

Pretty sure I know which truck/trailer they belong with, and they will be on the truck hood next time it comes back.

marc.l
06-21-2012, 05:36 AM
good one spud!

Mr. Sandman
06-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Same reason people throw trash out of their cars. Same reason why you find bait bags all over the place. People just don't care. It's sad but it's true.

It is really true, most people just don't care.

When I was a boy I remember sitting in the back seat with my brother and sister and my mother was diving. The car in front of us opened the window and dropped a bag of trash out and continued on. My mom got out of the car, picked up the trash (it was a fast food bag filled with spent napkins, sandwich wrappers cups, etc and then followed the guy for a couple miles. When he stopped she got out of the car ran up to the window and jammed it back in the the drivers side window and shouted you dropped this you slob! and got back in our car and drove us home. I could not believe my eyes.
Littering is a crime and should be harshly penalized in my view.

JohnnySaxatilis
06-21-2012, 06:33 AM
What's wrong with DD cups sitting next to a walking path. :nopics:

I dont get it, are you the CFO or something? DD cups in the rocks is probably the most common offense I see down there. If you need a picture I'll take one next time i go :smash:

J_T_R
06-21-2012, 07:02 AM
think harder.... DD cups......

Hint: I ain't talking about Dunkin Donuts cups.

JohnnySaxatilis
06-21-2012, 08:43 AM
LOL :hidin: my bad. talents actually been lacking in my experience so far

Swimmer
06-21-2012, 09:48 AM
think harder.... DD cups......

Hint: I ain't talking about Dunkin Donuts cups.

I got it the first time. :nopics:and I can be pretyy slow sometimes.

Slipknot
06-21-2012, 10:21 AM
It is really true, most people just don't care.

When I was a boy I remember sitting in the back seat with my brother and sister and my mother was diving. The car in front of us opened the window and dropped a bag of trash out and continued on. My mom got out of the car, picked up the trash (it was a fast food bag filled with spent napkins, sandwich wrappers cups, etc and then followed the guy for a couple miles. When he stopped she got out of the car ran up to the window and jammed it back in the the drivers side window and shouted you dropped this you slob! and got back in our car and drove us home. I could not believe my eyes.
Littering is a crime and should be harshly penalized in my view.

your Mom is my hero :uhuh::claps::claps:

piemma
06-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Ya, me too.

Dick Durand
06-21-2012, 01:38 PM
RI DEM has made an effort to install line disposal boxes at popular fishing sites throughout the state. The one nearest me at Black Pt. has already been vandalized.

jlnel
06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Can i get my line back?

the point
06-22-2012, 11:35 AM
I go to a local pond around here very often for some great fishing and there trash, beer cans, clothes, and line everywhere... I make a little fire while im there with my son and we go around into the woods and all around and burn all the trash and etc. The place looks amazing when we are through...And my son enjoys it and learns a lesson on how to respect the earth... WE ONLY HAVE ONE!!!