View Full Version : Grounded...

PRBuzz
06-21-2012, 09:10 PM
No not on the earth, boat is grounded for a while since can't get those pesky electrons to flow correctly. Seems to be a ground wire somewhere but have yet to find it. I can't believe how many in-line splices there are for no obvious reason.

blondterror
06-21-2012, 10:28 PM
bummer... hope you get to the bottom of this short quickly

bloocrab
06-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I feel your pain.....recoil spring broke while out in the middle of the bay, ribs and back are hamburg trying to wrap rope around the fly-wheel for over an hour...to no avail!!! :wall:....row, row, row your boat...gently against the wind and current, merrily, merrily, %$#@#$% THAT!!

Replacing the spring is fun enough, just have to figure out why she was having problems starting to begin with. Boats,..... gotta luv em' when they're running good, not sure what to do with em when they leave you high and dry during a good bite.

Good Luck with yours, Buzz

J_T_R
06-22-2012, 01:28 AM
There is nothing I hate more than electrical work on the boat.... that said, I haven't dealt with serious engine problems ever. Good luck.

I find that the problem is usually as simple as a bad connection somewhere. The pain in the ass is trying to find it.

Raven
06-22-2012, 04:08 AM
good hunting

PRBuzz
06-22-2012, 04:52 AM
There is nothing I hate more than electrical work on the boat.... that said, I haven't dealt with serious engine problems ever. Good luck.

I find that the problem is usually as simple as a bad connection somewhere. The pain in the ass is trying to find it.

DITTO. I have already spent nearly 8hrs looking and a service tech 2.5hrs. The evidence is pointing to a power management unit, however that said I will keep hunting The ONE connection that may be the route of all evil.

I am in contact with tech support of the power unit.

likwid
06-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Rip it all out, start over.
Only way to go.

I'd rip that stupid thing out and go with just a straight Paneltronics panel.

Power management my a@$#@$

ThrowingTimber
06-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Sorry to hear this buzz I hope you get it sorted out :(

Christian
06-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Ill help you rewire if you go that route. I have plenty of starboard, we can make up something unbreakable and simple. Btw whats not working?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Christian
06-24-2012, 09:03 PM
That thing looks flimsy and confusing, maybe just try hooking things up to a temporary set of bus bars? Then to the switches?

Mr. Sandman
06-25-2012, 05:17 AM
What likwid said!

Don't waste any more time with that non-serviceable black box unit. Do a fresh panel with individual circuity that can be tested and serviced easily. That little box you have there is a toy that looks nice in a showroom, but has no place on a boat that actually gets used.

PRBuzz
06-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Ill help you rewire if you go that route. I have plenty of starboard, we can make up something unbreakable and simple. Btw whats not working?

Thanks for the offer, may take you up on that.

On the power unit the main thing not working is that 2 pumps are constantly on (live well and fish box drain). The CD radio is also shorted out. Each of the switches seems to work when pressed as judged by the switch light on/off. We ran a fresh ground back to the pumps but it had no effect.

However more serious is there seems to be some type of feedback which effects the engine ignition/digital gauges. With the unit out everything works OK, but with the unit plugged in, upon turning on the batteries the digital gauges activate and the ignition key is inactive (the fuel pump on the engine doesn't initiate but it will turn over)

iamskippy
06-25-2012, 06:24 AM
DITTO. I have already spent nearly 8hrs looking and a service tech 2.5hrs. The evidence is pointing to a power management unit, however that said I will keep hunting The ONE connection that may be the route of all evil.

I am in contact with tech support of the power unit.

I can lend a hand if needed buzz

tysdad115
06-25-2012, 07:02 AM
I can help, electrical was always my specialty

PRBuzz
06-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and offers of help. I will be pulling the black box and going to fused switches. I just spoke with the leading Triumph boat service group in the world (Merritt Marine, NC) and they will supply me with a full set of needed switches. He even offered to provide a description key on the color coding of the wires.

Raven
06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
great plan !

PRBuzz
06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Should be ready for sea trials!

Replaced the computer controlled system with good old standard fused toggle switches, before gauges are on the right..

I had to sacrifice my bloodydecks.com sticker.:drool:

tysdad115
06-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Looks good Phil, might be more reliable in the long run ?

PRBuzz
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
My ProMariner battery charger appears to be dead? Keeps blowing the GFCI. Could this be what caused the computer brain to die?

blondterror
06-29-2012, 11:44 AM
connections all shrinkwrapped?

PRBuzz
06-29-2012, 01:06 PM
connections all shrinkwrapped?

2 X! Used all heat shrink fittings and placed heat shrink tubing over the fittings.

niko
06-29-2012, 03:10 PM
looks good phil

PRBuzz
06-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Sea trials tomorrow morning!

likwid
06-29-2012, 03:53 PM
My ProMariner battery charger appears to be dead? Keeps blowing the GFCI. Could this be what caused the computer brain to die?

Could be, how old is it? Warranty = good!

Also for god sakes don't throw away those Bosch style connectors, they get a small fortune for them!

PRBuzz
06-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Could be, how old is it? Warranty = good!

Also for god sakes don't throw away those Bosch style connectors, they get a small fortune for them!

Warranty on charger, big deal, they won't pay for a whole boat rewiring!

Christian
06-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Nice looks great. Those water proof switches? Dunk the backs in liquid electric tape if not