View Full Version : Found on Cutty....

numbskull
06-24-2012, 06:03 PM
...by a friend who tripped on it twice before he realized it was a plug, one 16" jointed bigass needle. Rigged with 6X trebles and a big dressed siwash (SK removed the tail hooks). No line or snap on it. Moderate amount of hook swing and clearcoat damage so whoever built it had faith in it. Credit to him. Any ideas whose it was and who built it? Any story behind it?

WoodyCT
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Mike Mullen of Connecticut Surfcasters makes and fishes those!

They go LARGE too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

mrstriper
06-24-2012, 06:14 PM
CSA was staying on the island the same weekend that we made our trip...we hosted a dinner...if I had known, I naturally would have tried to hoe one...:rotf2:

again, when we think a bait is too big, think again...

PaulS
06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
CSA was staying on the island the same weekend that we made our trip

Actually, first day there one of the CSA guys found one of Mike's needles. No idea who lost it. Mike was w/the CSA guys.

pbadad
06-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Yes that looks like Mike's "biggie". Knowing the big fish he hooks, he probably lost it on a big fish.

blondterror
06-25-2012, 06:24 AM
how does he do the connection between the 2 needle pieces... recesses?? it looks very close to get good action

pbadad
06-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Yes it's recessed. He takes two wires an attaches both together by the pre formed loop then twist the end loops. yes the action is very subtle but it works. cast better that way also. stays up close to surface and is very edible!!

jimmy z
06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Nice big plug!

Jay Dog
06-26-2012, 12:43 PM
You need a special tube to carry em hanging down from your bag, looks like Wyatt Earp in the old TV show when he carried that Buntline special pistol that was about 2 ft long.
They do catch though

TS_Morgan
06-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Awesome looking plug.big bait big fish

agsurfr
06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Fish it!

numbskull
06-27-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm sure he will, but likely with a skin on it.

Green Light
07-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Go large early! ;-)

wader-dad
07-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Mike Mullen needles- large, extra large and the monster needle that ate Cleveland

Mike told me he was trying to copy the actual fish- needlefish.

WoodyCT
07-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Yall'd be surprised how Mike retrieves these.

He don't creep 'em along!

blondterror
07-08-2012, 07:05 AM
I will try to make one or two in bone white for my next trip to Cutty or Block...

MMullen
07-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I lost that plug while exploring the rocks on the east side of Cuttyhunk. It must have slipped out of its holder when I was climbing on the rocks. It is my "Go to lure" and I never leave home without one. I have been making them for about 5 years and developed a neat way to join the parts to keep them close, yet keep the action. They are effective, (no BS) on its first cast ever, I caught a 36" bass. The plug seems to discourage small fish and attract big ones. Put the hooks back on and fish it. Good luck!

Mike

numbskull
07-09-2012, 05:38 AM
Thanks, Mike. The guy who found it is Sauerkraut. He is totally unworthy of it, of course, and has already rigged it with a skin but he will fish it, that's for sure.

SAUERKRAUT
07-10-2012, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=MMullen;947798]I lost that plug while exploring the rocks on the east side of Cuttyhunk. It must have slipped out of its holder when I was climbing on the rocks. It is my "Go to lure" and I never leave home without one. I have been making them for about 5 years and developed a neat way to join the parts to keep them close, yet keep the action. They are effective, (no BS) on its first cast ever, I caught a 36" bass. The plug seems to discourage small fish and attract big ones. Put the hooks back on and fish it. Good luck!

Thanks for losing your plug! I will indeed use it. I already skinned it; however, I can't bear the idea to use it with three trebles.

Your lost plug must have "traveled" quite a ways...because I found it at the west end. I was curious that the plug had no line, or at least a link attached to it. I can see...the logistics of carrying one of these around is formidible because of the length. I like it though, and I will indeed fish it. Despite what Numbskull says, I am indeed a worthy owner of your plug.

My friends are now poised to knock the crap out of the 40" class huge school of bass already located off of Chatham when the disgraceful commercial season opens. I hope there will be enough of the remaining year class of these fish to eat a plug as large as this plug.

Bonds, SK

MMullen
07-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I know 3 trebles sounds like lot, but it's a big plug and the hooks are how we catch the fish. It might turn out like having 1 hook on a sluggo. Anyway, I'm inspired by all this and I'll be making a few more before the fall run.

It sounds like my plug found a good home. Good luck!

ProfessorM
07-10-2012, 11:20 AM
George and Alan thanks for the laugh.
On another note how about a shot of the joint you used to join the plug in the plug forum.

DZ
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Mike Mullen,

I have to say that your design is one of the most unique needlefish plugs I've come across. Kudos to you for thinking outside the box. Most jointed needles quickly lose their aerodynamics and the subtle action that makes them most effective. You've incorporated a design that probably keeps the best of both. And I thought the old Hab's "Armpit" needle was large! Love large profile plugs - one thing is for sure when you throw them - the bass may or may not strike them but they surely will be aware of their presence. Good work.

DZ

blondterror
07-13-2012, 03:50 PM
After seeing Mike's jointed needle I had to make one... this one is turned from maple and weighted to be a slow/medium sink... I am making another in red cedar that will be a floater.... Mike says his float and he does not weight the trailing section only a few belly wts in the front section

16" long, max diameter 13/16... will rig with cut 4/0s and a dressed 7/0 siwash.. can't wait to try it...

pbadad
07-14-2012, 07:39 AM
George and Alan thanks for the laugh.
On another note how about a shot of the joint you used to join the plug in the plug forum.

Paul, there are a couple ways to join them. Concave the front joint enough to allow a tail wrap. concave the tail section enough to allow a joint gap < 1/4" ( 3/16") ideal. Adjust the cut depth to allow slipping the wire loop end through front section and when seated into the rear sction the gap needed. mike does his joint connection loop to loop then wrap fore and aft. either way it's avery subtle wiggle and with a slow to moderate retrieve the plug stays close to top. it's a trip to bring along. initially I would lay it across he top of the plug tubes then close flap. I tie a piece of leader to a bag loop then to a snap and attach the snap to plug for security measures. Mike made a tube which he hangs on his belt. Looks like Wyatt Earp's holster!! Yes its a pain, at times but you can't deny the results. It casts ok for such a large jointed plug. I'll post a pix later.

pbadad
07-14-2012, 09:37 AM
NOTE RULER FOR JOINT GAP & SECURITY LINE!!

pbadad
07-14-2012, 02:17 PM
2" light weight florist plastic tube.20" glue plug tube cap on bottom & drill drain hole in bottom.. Rig up a security lid w/ snap and a couple snap w/lanyard. lanyard length provides complete removal for removal of plug and secures plug if you get knocked down in drink. Wire tied a loop w/large split ring. Lightweight solution.

Sea Dangles
07-15-2012, 06:57 AM
NOTE RULER FOR JOINT GAP & SECURITY LINE!!

Note leader length...

ProfessorM
07-15-2012, 05:20 PM
thanks Billy

Strider
07-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks Billy, appreciate the info and time put in for sharing.

Rob Rockcrawler
07-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Looks like a good way to carry a riggie also

TS_Morgan
07-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Id love to throw a mackerel pattern on that

tlapinski
07-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Note leader length...

SD, that's not a leader, that is a "security leash" in case the tube pops open.

numbskull
07-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Must be a damn good plug if people go through all that effort to carry it.

A testimony to Mike's skill as a fisherman, not just a plug builder, it seems.

DZ
07-16-2012, 09:30 AM
SD, that's not a leader, that is a "security leash" in case the tube pops open.

Make that leash about 20 feet long then troll that baby while your swimming from rock to rock.

DZ

fcap60
07-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Made my Mike Mullen of Connecticut and by the way Shhh...........

MMullen
07-16-2012, 10:21 PM
This is my carrier for Biggie. It's made from 2" ABS with a cap on one end, and had I thought to put a cap on the top we wouldn't be having this discussion. Billy's tube is much more hi-tech. I have used the same type of Shimano bag for the past few years (it's the small one) and I used to just put the lure across the top, but I kept getting tangled up and stabbed by the hooks, so I came up with this. It's not pretty, but it works. Note the front pouch has a dead eel, a 12" sluggo and of course Smelly Jelly.

piemma
07-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Some BIG needles I made about 10 years ago. Maybe I should make start again

RIROCKHOUND
07-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Some BIG needles I made about 10 years ago. Maybe I should make start again

I'll take two in the secret green for the 'Chop.....

piemma
07-17-2012, 03:02 PM
You got it. I planned on making us some big ones.