View Full Version : Cobia

niko
06-25-2012, 08:21 PM
What's this about a cobia in buzzards bay?

FinS 32
06-25-2012, 11:16 PM
we had a guy weigh in a 29 lber here in jersey a few weeks ago, wouldnt suprise me if they kept going north. water is too warm

numbskull
06-26-2012, 04:29 AM
It would make my year to stumble into one of those

fish4striper
06-26-2012, 02:05 PM
be sweet to get one up here

JohnnySaxatilis
06-26-2012, 02:59 PM
the fish whisperer told me they've been gettin em last 5 6 years up here on the reg

piemma
06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
I think RIRockhound got one on his boat either last year or the year before on the way back from the edge.

RIROCKHOUND
06-26-2012, 03:51 PM
I think RIRockhound got one on his boat either last year or the year before on the way back from the edge.

Nope.
Not us....

jonserfish
06-26-2012, 04:28 PM
They have been spotted by divers around Newport as well

TS_Morgan
06-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Catching cobia like that would be awesome. A small taste of what other areas like FL get to fish reg

Mike P
06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Cobia have been caught at a certain buoy, in a certain UDL, between two certain islands off the coast of a certain New England state. :grins:

numbskull
06-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Thinking about this, I think I may have seen one of these this year.

Several weeks ago, mid-afternoon I was testing a plug off a small jetty in very shallow water over sand on the Buzzards Bay side of Falmouth. There was some small bait and a lot of sea robbins around. Out about 30 yards I saw a large very dark fish with a sharply shaped tail. The size (maybe 3 feet) and width made me think bass, but the tail looked more like a bluefish and the body more streamlined than a bass. I cast at it with the big swimmer I was using and it spooked and moved off. At the time I didn't know what it was. Too wide across the back and too dark to be a blue, but the wrong head shape and tail to be a bass. In retrospect I wonder now if it was one of these cobia. Should have used an eel.

niko
06-27-2012, 06:20 PM
I spent a couple of days in the keys hammering them on a reef. They are a pretty cool looking fish. Was fishing heavy tackle because of the sharks and they still put up a nice fight. Super violent once gaffed and in the boat. Made a real mess
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

hardcore from shore
06-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Have been catching Cobia in the Keys for over 30 years. Great fight and great eating. The guide tells rookies to look for "brown sharks" as that is what they look like. They look very much like a big catfish as well. Flat wide head, but sharp tail somewhat like a blue. They definitely get as far as the gulf stream around Virginia and they call them "Ling". Have even caught them in the Keys on my Dad's Darters. I can picture then following the warm water up. Heck a few years back I saw a moa moa (ocean sunfish) in Pleasure Bay in Southie. Anyone who has seen a king or spanish mackeral or a Mahi Mahi probably has a shot at seeing a cobia as they all follow the warm water of the gulfstream north.
Bill

BMEUPSCOTTY
06-27-2012, 11:11 PM
They are definitely boat wreckers lol... Watch the spines on the first dorsal if u are lucky enough to encounter one this year.:-)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device