View Full Version : Sit On Top Kayak, Suggestions

chefchris401
06-29-2012, 01:41 PM
So looking to finally pull the trigger on getting a fishing kayak.

my main point of the kayak with be freshwater fishing and some fluking/scup/blackfish fishing. will be used after/before work to get out and fish, not looking to give up my wetsuit/rockhopping just yet for the salt.

not looking to break the bank on the first kayak, as i have no idea on how often i can actually get out and use it as my work schedule is always changing, would love to have a hobie but cant justify the coin, not yet anyway.

anyone have some good recommendations for a entry level sit on top kayak?

just needs to have the basics.

looking at craigslist, bst forum, or if somones got one let me know.

Thanks.

Chef

BigFish
06-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Those Ocean Kayaks look great!!

blondterror
06-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Used Hobie Outback ... I will keep an eye out for you...

maxum16
06-29-2012, 03:30 PM
I bought a Heritage marquesa 14 ft SOT last year on craigslist and I have no complaints. I love fishing in it and it has a 400lb capacity. The only draw back is that it is heavy. I would say mine empty probably weighs around 75lbs. My friend just recently purchased a malibu stealth 12 SOT and that is pretty sweet.

Rockport24
06-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Any good quality kayak like ocean kayak, malibu, wilderness systems, hertiage, will do you just fine for what you want to do. Ideally you find a used hobie, but even then you are talking $1200 or so, while you can get into one of the ones mentioned above for like $500-$600 no problem. I will keep my eye out for you.