View Full Version : Thoughts & Prayers for a speedy recovery

JohnR
07-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Some thoughts & Prayers for a speedy recovery for Roger St.G.

He apparently tried to slow down a speeding car with his bike, while he was on it, unintentionally.

Roger, Godspeed on a quick and proper return.

jimmy z
07-04-2012, 08:25 AM
I will keep Roger in my prayers. God be with him, and may he have a speedy recovery!

jredfly
07-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Thoughts and Prayers - Hope you recover soon!

Dick Durand
07-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Wishing him a quick and full recovery. Those cars are definitely road hazards. With the hot weather last weekend I booked it out of Narragansett for the bike path where it's safer.

Raven
07-04-2012, 11:42 AM
GET WELL soon Roger !

piemma
07-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Get well soon and stay off the roads if you are going to ride a bike. That's what bike paths are for.

Rappin Mikey
07-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Get well soon. Sounding by the boss man's humorous intro it was just a fender bender. Ts & Ps sent anyway. Hope you had a helmet.

JohnR
07-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Get well soon. Sounding by the boss man's humorous intro it was just a fender bender. Ts & Ps sent anyway. Hope you had a helmet.

A bit more than a fenderbender - apparently the car was at 40mph. Roger is still in the hospital.

Rappin Mikey
07-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Hospitals SUCK! Get out asap and a speedy recovery.

vineyardblues
07-04-2012, 12:26 PM
GWS
VB

Finaddict
07-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Ts&Ps

afterhours
07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
get well soon!

Mike P
07-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Get well soon and stay off the roads if you are going to ride a bike. That's what bike paths are for.

See, in my opinion, attitudes like this are what causes some drivers to be a little aggressive towards cyclists (and I'm not saying you're one of them, Paul so this isn't personal in any way).

The fact of the matter is, there are more than a few very serious cyclists in RI and SE Mass. Bike paths are fine for the people riding slowly, and casually. Serious cyclists shouldn't use them. We're damned if we do, because the people out for a slow ride think we "riding too fast" and call us "Spandex wearing asshats", or horror of horrors, "Lance wannabes". And we're damned if we don't because we run into the "roads are for cars, bikes are for bike paths" mindset. How do we train seriously on a bike path? Slowing down every 200' to wait until a family riding 3 abreast gets into single file to let us by safely? Am I never supposed to do any hill climbing? Bike paths are flat as a pool table, for the casual riders who'd otherwise have to walk a bike up a 1% incline. Most of them have a 15 mph speed limit. I'm far from a racing class cyclist, and even I can average over 17 mph for a 100 mile ride. At 15 mph on flat terrain I don't even breathe heavily.

In Massachusetts and RI, cyclists have a legal right to ride on any roadway unless it is specifically posted against bicycling--basically, limited access divided highways. And in my experience, cyclists and drivers can and do co-exist. There are reckless individuals on both sides. And plenty of people who have their heads up their asses behind the wheel--or, more likely, have a cell phone glued to one ear and are oblivious to what's happening around them.

Liv2Fish
07-04-2012, 06:12 PM
See, in my opinion, attitudes like this are what causes some drivers to be a little aggressive towards cyclists (and I'm not saying you're one of them, Paul so this isn't personal in any way).

The fact of the matter is, there are more than a few very serious cyclists in RI and SE Mass. Bike paths are fine for the people riding slowly, and casually. Serious cyclists shouldn't use them. We're damned if we do, because the people out for a slow ride think we "riding too fast" and call us "Spandex wearing asshats", or horror of horrors, "Lance wannabes". And we're damned if we don't because we run into the "roads are for cars, bikes are for bike paths" mindset. How do we train seriously on a bike path? Slowing down every 200' to wait until a family riding 3 abreast gets into single file to let us by safely? Am I never supposed to do any hill climbing? Bike paths are flat as a pool table, for the casual riders who'd otherwise have to walk a bike up a 1% incline. Most of them have a 15 mph speed limit. I'm far from a racing class cyclist, and even I can average over 17 mph for a 100 mile ride. At 15 mph on flat terrain I don't even breathe heavily.

In Massachusetts and RI, cyclists have a legal right to ride on any roadway unless it is specifically posted against bicycling--basically, limited access divided highways. And in my experience, cyclists and drivers can and do co-exist. There are reckless individuals on both sides. And plenty of people who have their heads up their asses behind the wheel--or, more likely, have a cell phone glued to one ear and are oblivious to what's happening around them.

I'm with you, serious cycle speeds are way too dangerous in a bike path environment.

I witnessed a guy (in spandex from head to toe) mow down a girl on roller blades at the canal. The girl was out for a workout and had her ear buds in. She went to turn around to see where her boyfriend was just as the guy on the bike was going to pass her on the left. She drifted into his path and there was no way to avoid the collision. Lucky they weren't both seriously injured, the girl by the cyclist and the cyclist by her boyfriend. The guy was flying.

Just like we all have a right to fish where we want, we all have a right to use the road...

justplugit
07-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Hope you heal quickly Roger.
I stopped road riding after 25 years because of near car misses. One woman
drove right up my back one morning spilling me onto, luckily a lawn.
People are just not paying attention and it's not worth your life.
I always give a wide birth to bikers wether bikes or motorcycles as they
can always go down in front of you.
The thing that ticks me off is when they are riding double or triple in the
clubs doing 15-20mph and you can't pass. Blame on both sides.

JFigliuolo
07-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Cyclists usually piss me off. But you are correct on all accounts,

Saying cyclists need to stay on bike paths is like saying fishermen need to stay on fishing piers...

Jackbass
07-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Best wishes to Roger.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

kvn4
07-05-2012, 11:55 AM
thoughts and prayers sent. get well soon