View Full Version : Knot for looping leader but to fly line

dannyplug1
07-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Set up my eight weight with a loop at the end of the fly line. What's a good knot to make a loop on the but of the mono leader? Have used a surgeons knot in the past but intends to hang in the guides. Also when you connect the sections of mono leaders what knott do you connect them with?

blondterror
07-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Google 'nail knot".... tricky to tie but when tied properly goes thru the guides fine

bucko
07-04-2012, 12:26 PM
The nail knot is what I use to connect the fly line to 50 pd mono. At the leader end of the 50 pd mono I use a Perfection Loop. A second Perfection Loop is used to connect to 8 or 9 feet of 20 pd mono. I avoid letting the nail knot and leader get into my Guides.

jeffsod
07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
If the fly line has a loop then use a perfection loop at the leader fly line connection. Most commercial leaders come with this knot. A surgeon's loop could be used but the leader will not be straight off the fly line using that knot.

Peter D
07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
If the fly line has no built in loop, nail knot (can use a double nail knot, but unnecessary) a 3” (approx) of 50# mono to fly line. At end of 3” mono tie a perfection loop, now you are ready for a loop to loop connection to leader. If leader has no loop, make one using a perfection loop. To add tippet material Should “fish end” of leader become frayed, cut off and replace using blood knot. I generally coat these knots with Loon’s Knot Sense when I’m not rigging out in the water. Good luck.

afterhours
08-06-2012, 06:43 AM
needle nail knot.

falkners
08-09-2012, 11:17 AM
If you already have a loop on the end of your fly line use a perfection or non-slip mono loop. I prefer the non-slip mono loop for line to leader to tippet. I use 4-5 feet of 40 or 50 lb for the butt (Big Game) and about 3 feet of 17 or 20 lb Vanish Flouro for the leader.