View Full Version : 1st build questions,1164 lamiglas

Ryan560
07-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Awhile back I found an 1164 lami, I figured it would make a nice pencil popping rod and would be a good first build for me since it needed some guides replaced. I found Dale Clemens book "advanced custom rod building" through my local library, I have it on hold.
My questions are what kind of guides should I use, I'll most likely have it paired up with my 704 and 20lbs fireline?
Would cutting about a foot off the butt ruin the action?
Anyone know of any rod building classes in connecticut during the winter months?Thanks

chefchris401
07-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Rivers end has classes, or at least they did last season.

Probably go k frames for guides. Or lowriders. Help lightened the rod up a bit
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike P
07-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Cutting a foot off the butt shouldn't affect the parabolic bend. I took a foot off the butt of a SSB 136 2F, which is really the S-glass version of the old 1164. Someone on SB bought it from me in the spring.

I wouldn't take much more than that off it, though.

Saltheart
07-08-2012, 03:02 PM
On a rod like that you might as well just go with BSVLG's. You could go BKWAG's but with the 704 on such a slow action rod the BSVLG's should be fine.

stripermaineiac
07-08-2012, 03:45 PM
The hardaloy always worked great on those blanks. Remember it's not a fast action blank. Forgiveness is what you need. as far as cutting it up well I always liked the action as it is.nice rod an very versitile. Good for slingin eels an with both plugs an metal lips.Ron

Ryan560
07-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll probably go with the hardaloys, just going to strip the rod for now and wait till winter to wrap it.