View Full Version : Rod and Reel reccomendations

JoeBass
07-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I've been using an inexpensive Orvis (clearwater) rod for striper fishing for about 12 years. It's heavy, doesn't turn the fly well. Now I'm going to pass that doggie down to my son and I want to get something nice that I can use for the next 12 years (or more).I mostly fishing tidal rivers, sometimes the surf and sometimes off the rocks. I've caught a lot on the fly, but not many big ones. I'd say average is 25 inches. I'm hoping to get a nice set up, rod and reel, for under $750. I'm thinking a 9 foot, 8 weight, tip action rod. But I'm not sure......any thoughts on the set up and what brands you like would be very appreciated.Thank you in advance.

bucko
07-18-2012, 08:56 PM
My fishing experience is similar to yours. I've been wading the estuaries and beaches on the South Shore and the Upper Cape for about 10 years. The rod I currently use is a Temple Fork TICR X and the reel is a J Ryall. I've had them both for about 6 years. I get the distance and accuracy I want from the rod. The reel hasn't oxidized/rusted and the drag works fine but was repaired once.

Bear's Den in Taunton might be able to help you determine the best fit for your personal casting and reel needs.

JoeBass
07-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks Bucko. I'm going to investigate set ups starting with some of the advice I get here.

JackK
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
I have two salty setups... A TFO TiCr X 9' 8wt paired with a Colton CRG-II 810 for windless days, and a Scott STS 9' 10 wt with a Nautilus CCF 10 for windy ones. Both cost me under $500 (dedicated eBay and classifieds hunting).

I seem to find myself reaching for the TFO more often than not (but I don't get into LARGE too much!). Great stick, but very fast... I have mine lined with a 9wt airflo 40+ and it suits my casting style. The reel is good for the price, and USA made. It does have a little backplay though (can wind line up by itself on the casting stroke) but I manage. It's a great setup that didn't break the bank. Wholeheartedly recommend the rod, the reel as well if you want to keep the price low... Otherwise I'd look for a bargain priced Nautilus, Galvan, Tibor or Abel. The sealed drag on the Nautilus is great if it gets dunked accidentally.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

falkners
07-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Temple Fork rods are a great buy and cast as well as rods costing 2-3 times as much and their warranty ($25 replacement) is great especially if you do any rock hopping. There are many reel choices but a good basic reel is the Tioga ( I think it is made by Teton). I would go with a 9 or 10 weight simply because it will allow you to throw a wider selection of flies and will allow you to deal with the wind better. 8 weights are ok for estuaries and protected areas but on the outside you need a little more in my opinion especially if you hook into a monster.

ArrBee
07-20-2012, 03:09 PM
If you are within reasonable commuting distance of Greenfield MA, I would suggest giving Thomas & Thomas a call and perhaps visiting their small showroom. I had to replace a tip section from a 9 wgt rod I built (my dumb move busted the tip) with a T&T blank, and I visited their shop last fall. Long story short, they had some very reasonably priced rods in their showroom.. in the $250 - $350 range as I recall.

JoeBass
07-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Thank you to all. I'll be doing my homework based on this info.

Roger
07-23-2012, 09:47 AM
My "go to" brand for the last few years has been TFO rods and their large arbor reels. I use them for both personal use and for guiding.

The rods and reels have held up to lots of use, including 15# North Carolina false albacore.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/25656_102405043126266_5912925_n.jpg