View Full Version : Bucktailing for Fluke

bassballer
07-20-2012, 07:52 AM
After watching a couple of John Skinners youtube videos I got inspired and have been heading out fluking. Ive been using a 1-1/2 - 2oz spro bucktail with a 3/0 gamu octopus about 8 inches above the bucktail. The other day I was using a 3" gulp shrimp on the 3/0. The fish kept hitting the 3/0 gamu and I missed everyone. Sometimes stealing the shrimp. When they hit the bucktail it was a solid hookup. No mistaking each strike.

My question is am should I be using a smaller/bigger hook, or maybe a different bait on the single hook? Does anyone else have these same issues with this technique?

BTW im getting really into this fluke fishing. Took a couple doormats home the other day and made some Ceviche. :drool:

likwid
07-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Smaller hook, strips of squid or fluke belly.

niko
07-20-2012, 08:10 AM
you get alot of short strikes especially if there are alot of small fish around. sometimes i let them chew abit before i set the hook. everything works for bait/teaser. fluke are one of my favs - been doing it a bunch this season. i want to go fish around nantucket soon

bassballer
07-20-2012, 08:23 AM
yeah its a nice change of pace from chasing bass all over the place, and being out all night. Get home from work, head out put a couple in the cooler and be home in time to cook it for dinner.

And i can take freinds with me who dont fish that much and getem hooked up. I took a buddy last week plugging for bass, watching him work a spook made me want to jump overboard.

The Dad Fisherman
07-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Fluking is on my To Do list....don't get the opportunity much up around my neck of the woods. gave it a half hearted try when I was down cutty back in early June.

chefchris401
07-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Skinner uses a 3/0 bait holder hook for the teaser, not sure what model but I know he says it in the beginning of the videos.

He also prefers the swimming mullet.

I went on Wednesday and used the swimming mullet in chartuese on the jig and teaser and crushed em.

Everything in the sea seems to like that set up.

Fluke ceviche is great, made some sb ceviche last weekend. Love it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Charlieeasy
07-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Bassballer,
Take a ride out to Sam's B&T Middletown....
Look up a guy named Joe Werner, he's the
master a Bucktaling for Fluke....Also makes
"Jigs by Joe".....He's showed me ALOT on
Bucktailing...Key is: "Stinger Hook"....Easy Out....

bassballer
07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Charlie i saw those jigs at sams. Looks like a spro knock off. Ill give them a try. Their priced right. Also going to siwtch the hook to a baitholder type hook. The gulp slides down the gamu too easily. Could be missing short strikes due to that too.

Clammer
07-20-2012, 12:46 PM
bb
THE SMALL sCUP WILL MESS WITH THE gULP & drive you nuts .. the large ones just slam it ..

TDF / your welcome to come with me anytime .

JEnn from this site went with me last week & we had a great time ..

LMK :fishin: MIKE

MAKAI
07-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Big bait deep on circle hooks. Wait for the fish to hang itself. Most will be corner hooked for culling smalls.

PRBuzz
07-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Deep is key, we were 115' yesterday!

bassballer
07-20-2012, 08:34 PM
yeah my sweet spot has been 90 dropping to 60.

heading out in the a.m for some bass and praying for a bonito. Then heading out for some flats.