View Full Version : Professional Photography Etiquette

bart
07-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Ok this might sound a little creepy, especially given where this took place, but here goes.

Last week while on vacation, I was fishing Beavertail at dusk. As I was leaving there were two professional photographers taking pictures of the sunset and apparently of me as I was fishing. As I was leaving they asked me to pose so they could get my silhouette with the sunset in the background. I said sure, but could you please email me the pics? They said no problem and had me get in position( another homo-erotic sexual innuendo, I know). I saw the pic, it came out great. It was the quintessential RI surfcasting image.

So a week later and I haven't received the pic. It really pisses me off because I know this guy will probably sell the pic for profit. It wouldn't bother me so much if they had snapped pics of me while fishing, but they had me pose and I thought that we had come to an agreement that I would get a copy. This happened at the mouth of the Narrow River one year when T.O. and Tynan were fishing with me and the guy was kind enough to email us the pics. Those came out killer, BTW.

I'm thinking these jamokes were worried that I would turn around and sell the pic so they didn't send it. How friggin' greedy can you be? And like I said, it wouldn't bother me so much if they hadn't asked me to pose.

So if anyone sees a pic of my ugly mug with the Narragansett shoreline off in the distance, sun setting overhead, please give me a heads up so I can contact this guy.

Any thoughts? How would you feel?

Swimmer
07-22-2012, 10:15 AM
I think your going to be friekin famous.

fishbones
07-22-2012, 10:56 AM
If they were professionals they should have given you a card with their information. If so, contact them. If not, you never know they might just be slow in getting in touch with you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tlapinski
07-22-2012, 12:30 PM
They should send you copies since you asked, but the photographer retains ownership, not the subject. Since you agreed to pose, they can pretty much do what they want with the images. If they are worried about you selling the image they could put an electronic watermark on it to prevent. Hopefully they are just slow on the turnaround. Next time be sure to get their contact info as well.

GregW
07-22-2012, 12:43 PM
I was in a bit of a similar , yet different situation and I will try and shed some light on it that might be the issue going on.

I was in the newspaper and a few magazines, due to some things with school (long story). My school sent out a photographer who was an actual professional. A couple weeks later they asked me to be in a modeling like photo shoot for the schools publications, and one of the big Boston papers came out and did a quick story and photograph.

Same as you I asked for copies. They said no problem. A few weeks went by , so I went up to the PR department in school and asked the deal. Long story short one picture can take hours just to work on. They photoshop any imperfections etc. And they needed other people like designers to get involved.

Maybe all will end well. Real professional photography does take time.

bart
07-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. I fully understood when I posed for the pic that it was ultimately their property, but I figured out of courtesy the least they could do would be to send me a copy.

I guess I will hope for a not-so-quick turnaround. Next time I will definitely get the contact info.

johnny ducketts
07-22-2012, 02:28 PM
I had a lady one time snap a pic of me surf casting at the trunk river. She asked and I had to sign a release. A few weeks later she sent me a card and a copy of the print, it came out killer. Hopefully you'll get the copy.

Saltheart
07-22-2012, 03:30 PM
My guess would be that they publish it with a copyright notice then send you the copy by email. They may also have lost your email address or they are just stiffing you. many possible scenarios here. :(

spence
07-22-2012, 04:16 PM
If you got their tags I'd get a shady cop to run the registration then slam a lein on their houses.

-spence

Back Beach
07-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Hopefully you had your clothes on.

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-23-2012, 08:00 PM
I was in a bit of a similar , yet different situation and I will try and shed some light on it that might be the issue going on.

I was in the newspaper and a few magazines, due to some things with school (long story). My school sent out a photographer who was an actual professional. A couple weeks later they asked me to be in a modeling like photo shoot for the schools publications, and one of the big Boston papers came out and did a quick story and photograph.

Same as you I asked for copies. They said no problem. A few weeks went by , so I went up to the PR department in school and asked the deal. Long story short one picture can take hours just to work on. They photoshop any imperfections etc. And they needed other people like designers to get involved.

Maybe all will end well. Real professional photography does take time.
Must have took months to photoshop the imperfections :rotf2:

fishbones
07-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Must have took months to photoshop the imperfections :rotf2:

The picture published in the Herald looked like he was making time with a hot coed. He had his arm around her and it looked like he was trying to go low on her.

bart
07-23-2012, 09:26 PM
:nopics:

:smash:

PaulS
07-24-2012, 07:56 AM
As a common courtesy they should have sent you the picture. Continually not doing that may come back to bite them in the butt some how. I think that they should have asked you to sign a release and I wonder what would happen if you see your picture in a mag. and they don't have your approval to use it.

bart
07-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Hopefully you had your clothes on.

They politely asked me to put them back on...

GregW
07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
As a common courtesy they should have sent you the picture. Continually not doing that may come back to bite them in the butt some how. I think that they should have asked you to sign a release and I wonder what would happen if you see your picture in a mag. and they don't have your approval to use it.

He actually has no legal recourse. You can be photographed in public without your permission and the photographer can make money off it. Think about famous pictures of crowds. And that's why we have all those celebrity magazines.

fishbones
07-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Think about famous pictures of crowds. And that's why we have all those celebrity magazines.

Which celebrity magazines do you have? I thought those were for women?

GregW
07-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Which celebrity magazines do you have? I thought those were for women?

Just the ones you left in my truck.

bart
07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
:laughs:

Swimmer
07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
If you got their tags I'd get a shady cop to run the registration then slam a lein on their houses.

-spence

shady cop:no such thing:rotf2:

PaulS
07-24-2012, 03:07 PM
He actually has no legal recourse. You can be photographed in public without your permission and the photographer can make money off it. Think about famous pictures of crowds. And that's why we have all those celebrity magazines.

A friend's picture was in an annual report and he had to sign a contract and got paid a $1. He has it on his wall at work. I also wonder why they sometimes blurr out the faces of people in crowds?

Jackbass
07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
The same thing happened to me in P town one year. Couple of guys asked me to pose for some pictures while fishing wearing a special outfit...... seemed legit...... right? Next thing you know I'm walking into Cumby's. And people are calling me big bear and offering to buy my coffee! Hey free coffee cant beat that! It was a win-win for everyone. Lol

bart
07-24-2012, 08:48 PM
"Big Bear" lol