View Full Version : Any Herring Available In RI/MA Runs Still?

striper134
05-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Well,
Im a flyfisherman and love throwing plugs but after this weekend witnessing multiple fish in the 40 pound range being hook 50 feet from where I was fishing I'm coming to the relization that these filthy critters are a must right now. I would love to get one more crack at livlining some but not sure if the runs around RI/MA still have any available. Info would be great!

ThrowingTimber
05-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Run here in RI usually runs to June. Had been slow the night of the eclipse, have'nt been there since the rain all weekend.

Clammer
05-26-2003, 10:05 PM
same here

bassman
05-27-2003, 05:06 AM
I got some on sunday night in westport. Got a dozen in 10 minutes. Not much longer though.

Rappin Mikey
05-27-2003, 09:13 AM
I couldn't find ant in Harwich this weekend.

wutdl4
05-27-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey guys, could you explain how you catch the herring to use for live fishing. I am new to this, and I see the posts talking about finding them. What's the technique and what do you do with them after you catch them. I have a boat slip, am I able to rig some sort of cage or something to keep them alive in or do they have to be fished with right away. I have a 6 ft cast net that I used in the carolinas (3 years ago) to catch finger mullets with at low tide. That worked great for live bait. Thanks for the help.

ThrowingTimber
05-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Check your local state or city laws, some cities and states make the regs as to what sized net can be seud @ their run. Here I basically use a large dip net. You are not able to obstruct the whole span of the run (my net isnst that big anyhow) And you are allowed 24 fish perday Tuesday-friday. Check your local dem regs. Dont know about the cast net I just use a small dip net maybe someone can chime in on the cast net, I know the netting size itself has to be small enough that you dont catch fish in the gills.

JohnR
05-27-2003, 05:05 PM
I don't know about NH or Maine but in Mass & Rhody, there are certain days on and off and a cast net cannot be used in any of the runs. I "think" you are OK if you see a school in the open ocean but not sure... Welcome to S-B

likwid
05-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Anyone who picks up some live herring and is gonna be down to Wareham Thursday night I'd gladly throw a few bucks to for a few to liveline...

Don't have time to head there myself.. :\