View Full Version : Braid knot caution.

stripermaineiac
07-23-2012, 06:19 PM
A while back Mike from M&D shared the idea of using braid for tie off material on wraps on rods. So I made a bunch of them and hung them on a nail on my rod wrapping bench for future use.The things work great and hold up for a long while---as long as you use them.I decided to take some down and use the ones that I tied up 2 yrs ago. Every single one of the knots had come undone. 12 well tied knots creating tie off loops and all were untied.The reason I mention this is that I checked out a shimano 700 that I rigged 2 yrs back and found that the connecting knot between the braid and mono was loose. We all don't check our knot connections on the spools every year as we tie good dependable knots. But braid does have the tendancy to come untied as we all have found out at one time or other the hard way.So I'm posting this just as a thought of something to check on our reels to make sure that we don't loose that fish of a lifetime to something we don't think about all the time.I'm now in the process of checking all my braid connections to be safe just incase it wasn;t my stupidity. Ron

iamskippy
07-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Ron, thanks for the heads up, however i have a question do you use superglue or zap a gap on your knots?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

stripermaineiac
07-23-2012, 06:36 PM
sometimes on the reels but like all of it with use it all works loose over time. I tie a header or 65 or 80 lb that is a great shocker but the glue gets beat so much goin through the guides that it needs frequent redo so I retie to be safe then reglue.I thew this up incase others haven't checked those knots in a while that it was better to be safe than sorry especially with more n more guys usin braid on spinnin outfits for tuna an big stripers.I was amazed that almost all the knots came undone just from hanging on that nail.A couple were glued with Duro super glue. Thats what I use for head cement on all my tail hooks an saltwater flies and it works great an holds up fantastick. the common point is the braid.Might just have been me but I do good knots with seldom a prob so I'm passin this on. Ron

Jackbass
07-23-2012, 08:11 PM
I have two guides attached to my 1322 with PP (necessity was the mother of invention) going on two years now. I haven't noticed any loosening they are epoxied however

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Am I the only one confused?

chefchris401
07-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Am I the only one confused?

He's saying to check your knots connecting your backing mono to your braid cause they loosen up over time.

Right?

iamskippy
07-24-2012, 06:10 AM
He's saying to check your knots connecting your backing mono to your braid cause they loosen up over time.

Right?

Pretty much, the moral of the post is, anything which has a knot and braid is invlolved you should periodicaly check it as the claim is they loosen up.

afterhours
07-24-2012, 06:40 AM
what type of knots ron? do you suspect that the braid is "relaxing" over time? i use back to back uni's and not noticed this backing to braid or braid to leaders.

vineyardblues
07-24-2012, 06:42 AM
The snow must be melting up north :)

Hi Ron

Swimmer
07-24-2012, 09:04 AM
My albrights have never come loose, never. No glue of any kind or anything else on them. Interersting posting.

mikecc
07-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Ron I always used a double square not and zap a gap on the pull threads. White color Braid ONLY.

Needmore Salts
07-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Use Dacron for backing..braid eats at the mono overtime. Uni to Uni splice works just fine

stripermaineiac
07-24-2012, 06:15 PM
I use uni to uni and albright both. The tie off loops were just an example of something that I found that lead me to check a couple braid to mono knots on reels that I don't use as much as my surf gear. When I found the loose knot on one of my boat outfits well I posted it as a heads up. It bites when we loose a good fish an coulda done a bit of upkeep an prevented it. That's one of the reasons that a couple times a year I tie off my line to something solid and run out half the spool to see if I have any week spots from the line runnin over the rocks.