View Full Version : New Lamiglas Surf Rod

numbskull
07-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Their 2013 catalog is out. http://www.lamiglas.com/lamiglas_2013.pdf

Looks like the Super surf line is history and they've been replaced by a series called "Infinity". All 2 piece, Mod-Fast action rods that use "nano-technology" from 3-M. Pretty limited selection so far. A 9 and 10ft for 1-3, a 10' for 2-4, and 11' for 2-5.

Expensive (>400) for factory rods. Given Lami's issues with some of the Arras and then most of the SSU's....and the short lived Alberto option.... these new blanks will have a lot of baggage to overcome.

bart
07-27-2012, 08:16 AM
I guess i've been fortunate. My SSU has been a battle stick. I've beaten 30 lb fish in running current no problem. Thrown everything from big shads, to redfins, to eels. I love my SSU and I hope she continues to hold up...

tysdad115
07-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Msrp starting at 460.00. Thats steep. I suppose the 40% 3M nano particles will compare to the auto clave / helix styles from other manufacturers? I suppose technology is great , but at what cost?

SeaWolf
07-27-2012, 08:31 AM
it's about time i guess. they've lost a lot of sales in the NE w/ the popularity of CTS and Century. so, both St Croix and Lami now offer a nano-rod/blank. i'll miss the SS lineup, at least a couple of blanks. i'm surprised the tri-flex surf is still out there. i've never felt a more top-heavy blank than that series. i'll be curious of the guide layout on this new series and where the split is.

Jackbass
07-27-2012, 08:36 AM
I have two Lamis currently that I fish. A one piece SSU and a 1322xsra. I love both rods.

It seems as though they are pricing themselves out of the surf market with the high prices. I am sure they will still offer the surf and jetty options. But with less expensive rods that perform well what is the point. Why would I buy a factory rod from Lami for the same price of a custom?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sgt Striper
07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I hope they did there homework on these rods! 3M nano resin is a great product allowing much less resin to be used in the blank and also gains strength, but the biggest challenge seems to be the application process.
It has to be right on the money or your in big trouble. Time will tell.

Rob Rockcrawler
07-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Even with the high MSRP the prices sure seem to drop like a rock quickly. Thinking about the SSU line, what was the MSRP on the 11' one piece? I dont know for sure but it was close to 500 bucks. I have insurance on my fishing gear and if it gets stolen i will not be crying too much even though i love the rod. Im still looking too possibly get another SSU since i really enjoy the action of the rods but after building a century they really are in a differnt class. These new ones should be interesting, i am looking forward to some feedback on them.

Saltheart
07-27-2012, 11:27 AM
"Fast action with 3M Nano resin"...so they are making Century's. :) Well...almost. My reading on the nano resins says you need the autoclave type cure to get the most out of the resin systems. Century has it , I don't think Lami does.

rapidfflow0
07-27-2012, 12:01 PM
"Fast action with 3M Nano resin"...so they are making Century's. :) Well...almost. My reading on the nano resins says you need the autoclave type cure to get the most out of the resin systems. Century has it , I don't think Lami does.
They have to have some type of autoclave technology it's the only way you can make a rod with the nano technology. Everyone who is using the 3M technology is autoclaving. Loomis was the first ones to license the technology foe their fly rods and have been autoclaving from the beginning they just don't advertise it since it is a normal required step in dealing with nano resins. Century made a big deal out of it but in reality everyone using the material has to do it to get the materials to bond

Mike P
07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
I guess i've been fortunate. My SSU has been a battle stick. I've beaten 30 lb fish in running current no problem. Thrown everything from big shads, to redfins, to eels. I love my SSU and I hope she continues to hold up...

Is it a 120 1MH? For some reason, Lami hit a home run with that blank, while other SSU blanks were snapping like dry twigs.

Sgt Striper
07-27-2012, 12:57 PM
They have to have some type of autoclave technology it's the only way you can make a rod with the nano technology. Everyone who is using the 3M technology is autoclaving. Loomis was the first ones to license the technology foe their fly rods and have been autoclaving from the beginning they just don't advertise it since it is a normal required step in dealing with nano resins. Century made a big deal out of it but in reality everyone using the material has to do it to get the materials to bond

True, but Century has been using the autoclave technology on it's rods before the nano resins became available. They have far more experience with it, just because you have an autoclave doesn't mean you are proficient with it!

rapidfflow0
07-27-2012, 01:31 PM
True, but Century has been using the autoclave technology on it's rods before the nano resins became available. They have far more experience with it, just because you have an autoclave doesn't mean you are proficient with it!

I don't disagree with that but as far as the nano resin goes I would suspect that 3M has been instrumental in teaching all the companies how to get the resins to bond properly. Maybe it's just me but I give the 3M scientists an edge over the rod companies in how to utilize this technology. I may very well be wrong but I like my odds

SeaWolf
07-27-2012, 02:50 PM
mike, i agree, they did hit a home run in my opinion too on the 1201MH. from what i know, no nano-tech used in the ssu series, but a lot of other technology that was new at the time was.

nano isn't new. it's been used by asian companies for a couple years now. just slow to get into the states. i've built serveral tuna rods on blanks from companies utilizing nano. time will tell how lami does w/ this lineup. every new surf series has seemed to fizzle quicker than the previous. but, it's about time they looked at more than just the blank when building a rod. i laughed when i saw the production layout of the alberto-series. nice blank, but should have skipped COF. i'm happy they at least used K's on the builds. We'll see how the layouts are. i'm also happy they kept the GSb/Surf and Jetty production rods. it gives an option for people not wanting to empty their wallets. hopefully, they will change those guide layout as well. they could use an overhaul.

piemma
07-28-2012, 01:25 AM
I love lamis but whats with 2 piece? I don't fish 2 piece.

SAUERKRAUT
07-28-2012, 06:24 AM

Agree. 2 pc is for women's bathing suits (some women, at least).

snake slinger
07-28-2012, 07:52 AM

i dont own any 2 piece surf rods either.

Spiderman
07-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Although 2 piece rods have come a long way, I still prefer one piece and eliminate a potential weak point. Surprised they did not have a one piece option.

Sgt Striper
07-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Although 2 piece rods have come a long way, I still prefer one piece and eliminate a potential weak point. Surprised they did not have a one piece option.

Could be they don't have an autoclave big enough.

Saltheart
07-28-2012, 02:17 PM

"They have to have"...????

Pure speculation on your part.

"Everyone who is using the 3M technology is autoclaving."

God , that's even more speculative than your first statement.

I'm a big fan of some of the Lami's. I recommended many , many 1205's and 1322's but I also steered many away from some of the lighter XRA's and I never recommended an SSU to anybody.

Speculation is nice but facts are far more valuable.

But anyway , I do hope that their new line of rods is made using high volume fractions of nanoparticles in their resins and that they are autoclaving them. I hope they are not using some low volume fraction resin and hoping the shrinkage of the wrappers will provide the nescessary pressure to properly cure them. The more good quality , high performance blanks on the market , the better for the people building them and fishing with them.

rapidfflow0
07-28-2012, 02:28 PM
"They have to have"...????

Pure speculation on your part.

"Everyone who is using the 3M technology is autoclaving."

God , that's even more speculative than your first statement.

I'm a big fan of some of the Lami's. I recommended many , many 1205's and 1322's but I also steered many away from some of the lighter XRA's and I never recommended an SSU to anybody.

Speculation is nice but facts are far more valuable.

But anyway , I do hope that their new line of rods is made using high volume fractions of nanoparticles in their resins and that they are autoclaving them. I hope they are not using some low volume fraction resin and hoping the shrinkage of the wrappers will provide the nescessary pressure to properly cure them. The more good quality , high performance blanks on the market , the better for the people building them and fishing with them.
Speculation is you stating that I'm not correct.
This is why I usually stay out of any conversation between rod wrappers that think they are rod designers. I'll stay out of it but I have allot more first hand knowledge of this then you seem to think

Saltheart
07-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Then state your facts. Do you know that Lami now is using autoclave technology? As I said , I hope they are but I'm not assuming anything.

BTW , nowehere in my post does it say you are incorrect. What is says is that your statements as worded here are speculative.

Mike P
07-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Shipping costs, and improved ferruling technology which eliminates the "dead spot" at the ferrule.

Seriously---these rods have ferrules that are machined so closely, and fit so tightly, that they're difficult to get apart after one is done fishing.