View Full Version : Well I guess it's finally happened.... Great White shark attack on the Cape

Slipknot
07-30-2012, 04:48 PM
It is too bad for the innocent beachgoer but it appears someone on Balston beach was bit by a shark.

It was bound to happen soon with all those seals out there, too bad we look so much like the plentiful food source out there.

it has not been confirmed so could be a bluefish bite but I doubt it

I think I'll head down to the beach and go for a swim

Jackbass
07-30-2012, 05:01 PM
I just read the article myself. Very interested to see how this will develop.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Renegade6
07-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Video from capecodonline. Guy looks lucky if what you can see bandaged is all that got hurt. Hope he heals fast
Guy filming is a complete tool.....,, get out of the way

Rappin Mikey
07-30-2012, 06:52 PM
There goes the neighborhood

Jackbass
07-30-2012, 07:10 PM
I honestly would not be completely surprised if it was a boo fish bite. There have been a ton of them around. I could be wrong but ankle bite? The race was loaded with life this weekend

bart
07-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah I doubt that guy would still have his foot if it was a White Shark, even if it was just investigating. I'm guessing a bluefish or a seal.

Rappin Mikey
07-30-2012, 07:53 PM
I think I saw all his toes

Mike P
07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
The guy apparently believes that it was a blue shark. Wouldn't be surprised with all the bluefish around.

johnny ducketts
07-30-2012, 08:55 PM
It was a spiny dogfish, you heard it here first folks!

Mike J.
07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Fox news is saying the authorities think it was a seal :) The injury looked more like a canine bite..

Mike J.
07-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Well I jumped the gun, They are not ruling out a shark either..

JohnR
07-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Unless it is a bluefish - there will be some "I told ya so"s on the way.

bart
07-31-2012, 06:07 AM
Yeah they are saying shark now...

Saltheart
07-31-2012, 09:18 AM
"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!"

Rockport24
07-31-2012, 09:23 AM
yeah the witnesses say they saw a dorsal.... let the games begin!

Rockfish9
07-31-2012, 09:28 AM
I honestly would not be completely surprised if it was a boo fish bite. There have been a ton of them around. I could be wrong but ankle bite? The race was loaded with life this weekend

My guess is bluefish.

Moron_Saxatilis
07-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Looks like a boating accident. No way a GW.

doc
07-31-2012, 10:14 AM
carcharodon carcharias!

johnny ducketts
07-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Ill tempered sea bass with frickin lasers attached to their heads, that's my next guess.

Jackbass
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Ill tempered sea bass with frickin lasers attached to their heads, that's my next guess.

Or global warming caused piranhas to migrate to the cape

FishermanTim
07-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Sharktopus or pirahnaconda.

With all the experts around, shouldn't they be able to clearly identify the bite marks as shark or not?
Also, they should be able to tell WHAT species of shark, since we have so many that inhabit our waters.

One last thing to consider.....with a amount of "unusual" species of fish and fowl that have made their way up to our neck of the woods, what could be the likelihood that it could be a shark that isn't normally found in our waters? There are way too many questions to be answered before the beachs start getting closed (which the WILL), so let's get the answers FIRST then plan a course of action!!!

Pete F.
07-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Surely it must be a Plover shark

BluesHarp
07-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Jilted mermaid or merman (depending on portion of the cape and victim preference).

Redsoxticket
07-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Spread the word on every forum including FB that it was a seal to see if it sticks.

Mike P
07-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Eyewitness accounts are starting to make their way around the news sites.

According to witnesses, a large black fin was seen between the victim and the person he was body surfing with (his son, reportedly). Seconds later, the guy was pulled under.

Medical reports indicate a large bite area across both legs. Looks like whatever it was grabbed him across both legs simultaneously, and pulled him under for a short time, before releasing him. There was no secondary/follow-up attack. The shark (presumably a shark if these reports are accurate) swam away.

If this is the scenario, it's consistent with a GW taste test bite. What's more likely, given the amount of seals there and the known presence of whites along the backside--a GW or some exotic species rare in the ocean waters off the lower Cape?

Slick Moedee
07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Will come from Skomal this afternoon.

Gona be a white

chief10
07-31-2012, 03:01 PM
yeah the witnesses say they saw a dorsal.... let the games begin!

That's what a bird lover or seal hugger would say. I feel bad for the guy, but wouldn't it be ironic if he got bit by seal. :nailem:

fishbones
07-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Suspected Shark Attack in Cape Cod Leaves Man Hospitalized | NewsFeed | TIME.com (http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/31/suspected-shark-attack-in-cape-cod-leaves-man-hospitalized/)

Interesting the article mentions that a seal was seen swimming nearby prior to the attack.

MAKAI
07-31-2012, 03:57 PM
There's only one solution. Close the beaches to people. . . . It's the way our all knowing "protective" government works. I miss the old days when you would just do what needed to be done. No committees, no study groups, no pandering to extremists....... arrggghhhh what a bunch of p#$$ys we've become.

Jackbass
07-31-2012, 04:48 PM
I they close the beaches to
People at least then a shark won't chip a tooth on a human

likwid
07-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Eyewitness accounts are starting to make their way around the news sites.

According to witnesses, a large black fin was seen between the victim and the person he was body surfing with (his son, reportedly). Seconds later, the guy was pulled under.

Medical reports indicate a large bite area across both legs. Looks like whatever it was grabbed him across both legs simultaneously, and pulled him under for a short time, before releasing him. There was no secondary/follow-up attack. The shark (presumably a shark if these reports are accurate) swam away.

If this is the scenario, it's consistent with a GW taste test bite. What's more likely, given the amount of seals there and the known presence of whites along the backside--a GW or some exotic species rare in the ocean waters off the lower Cape?

Heard everything from 12" fin to 24" fin.
Comedy gold. :hihi:

Slipknot
07-31-2012, 05:02 PM
sounds like a taste and release from a young great white shark to me too.

I feel for the guy but thankfully he survived.

NO NEED TO CLOSE BEACHES

just thin the herd of seals is all it takes

Hopefully no one will be killed by a shark before something is done about the exploding seal population.

johnny ducketts
07-31-2012, 05:15 PM
I'll find him for 3, I'll catch him for 10

MAKAI
07-31-2012, 05:31 PM
I was being facetious slip.

JamesJet
07-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Suspected Shark Attack in Cape Cod Leaves Man Hospitalized | NewsFeed | TIME.com (http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/31/suspected-shark-attack-in-cape-cod-leaves-man-hospitalized/)

Interesting the article mentions that a seal was seen swimming nearby prior to the attack.

I was out at Nauset Light on Sat, and we thought about going to Ballston. I don't think there is a spot on the backside without a seal nearby. I really wish it was a seal bite for fishermans sake. Would cause a much more productive public reaction.

Slipknot
07-31-2012, 08:19 PM
I was being facetious slip.

I know that

but the reactionary types aren't

BluesHarp
07-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Proposed new sign for the beach access.

"Caution multiple seal sightings - BIG sharks may be present!"

Capt. Quint Quotes: "I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go."

"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women."

ThrowingTimber
07-31-2012, 08:35 PM
But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

ThrowingTimber
07-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Fellows, let's be reasonable, huh? This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock.

Raven
07-31-2012, 08:44 PM
it was a white seal wearing a fake fin :uhuh:

BluesHarp
07-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Just in time for the 25th anniversary of "Shark Week" on Discovery.

Shark Week 2012 | Starts Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 9PM e/p on Discovery - YouTube (http://youtu.be/LEr2yEHIMhE)

Circlehook
07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
I have yet to not see a seal on a backside beach this year. Day or night. There will be more attacks. You cannot blame the sharks for the mistake as 99.9% of the time they attack a shadow in the water it's a seal. On a sunny Saturday in July, I bet the seals in the water on the outer beaches outnumber swimmers 500-1.
On a separate note, why do weekend warrior boogie boarders who only go into the water (at low tide) for a 10 minute stint of looking like an ass need to wear a $300 full wetsuit with flippers?

MAKAI
07-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Farewell and adieu you fine Spanish ladies…………

bart
07-31-2012, 11:27 PM
It was a White Shark....

johnny ducketts
08-01-2012, 04:54 AM
Maybe it was a scuba diving bear

LINESIDES
08-01-2012, 05:54 AM
I personally expected this to happen the first time they showed up on our shore line up here.
I never thought for one minute the seals were cute!!
Look to California, all the way to the state of Washington.
They have taken over.
Unfortunately the seals aren’t going away and neither are the whites!
You have not heard the last from them then the goody two shoes will be crying out, WHY ISNT SOMEONE DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!
Its actuall to late at this point.:fury:

Jackbass
08-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Maybe it was a scuba diving bear

Just when you thought it was safe the cape cod bear is back with scuba gear

bloocrab
08-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Unfortunately the seals aren’t going away and neither are the whites!
Its actuall to late at this point.

I'm sure there are many more GWs swimming around than being reported. Only a matter of time before it happens again. Even a "taste test" can end up being fatal. You won't catch me swimming in those waters....:err:

There's no quick fix to this either. They won't be doing any seal removal and they definitely won't be shooting any sharks any time soon. Gonna take many more "accidents" before ANYTHING happens. Beach closings to swimmers will be the best they can do.

Bombas beware when yakking out there!!! :buds:

Jackbass
08-01-2012, 06:46 AM
I'm sure there are many more GWs swimming around than being reported. Only a matter of time before it happens again. Even a "taste test" can end up being fatal. You won't catch me swimming in those waters....:err:

There's no quick fix to this either. They won't be doing any seal removal and they definitely won't be shooting any sharks any time soon. Gonna take many more "accidents" before ANYTHING happens. Beach closings to swimmers will be the best they can do.

Bombas beware when yakking out there!!! :buds:

You are 100% correct a couple of years ago when the first public sighting happened. Creating the new shark hysteria I asked a friend of mine who works at woods hole. Why are they just showing up now? He plainly said to me they have always been around in smaller numbers just no one ever saw them. The numbers are growing now and with the buffet of easily accessible food around they will continue to grow.

ProfessorM
08-01-2012, 06:47 AM
My thought is why would you go swimming that far out in shark and seal infested waters.

Raven
08-01-2012, 06:55 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/sign-2.png

iamskippy
08-01-2012, 07:25 AM
My thought is why would you go swimming that far out in shark and seal infested waters.

Right, you just can not fix stupid :smash:

Mike P
08-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Our political system is so screwed up that Congress can't pass legislation that everyone wants. So, can you imagine how long it would take to repeal the Marine Mammal Protection Act? Animal rights and conservation groups would fight it tooth and nail, and even if the law were repealed, they'd launch court challenges.

Those aren't the greatest swimming beaches to start with. The water is bone-numbing cold most of the time. Surfers get hit by GWs regularly in California. They're aware of the risks and accept them.

I really dread the hysteria that this is going to cause. When a human enters the ocean, he or she becomes part of the food chain--we are no longer the apex predator. ;)

Liv2Fish
08-01-2012, 07:52 AM
There was a poll on fox 25 news last night about how many are in favor of repealing the protection acts so that the seal population can be reduced. I fell asleep before the results came in. Anyone catch it?

Jim in CT
08-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Fellows, let's be reasonable, huh? This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock.

Probably the best line in that movie...

"You'd love to prove that, wouldn't you? Get your name into the National Geographic?"

Pete_G
08-01-2012, 08:33 AM
When you look at some of those photos on the Cape Cod Shark Hunters website it really is amazing to me nothing has happened until now.

They are right on of the beach at times, practically in the break of the waves. You'd have to think there's been plenty of close passes and sharks lurking barely out of range of people in the shallows, waiting for an opportunity, just like they'd do with a seal.

LINESIDES
08-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Even during my Ute you never heard of them.
All the time I spent swimming as a kid in ALL the local beaches around Boston, Revere, NH, Quincy, Nantasket, all the way down to the cape scares the crap out of me today as an elder.
I will admit that I have had a fishing rod in my hand since I was five years old and I love being near and on the water however I stopped swimming in Saltwater when the movie came out about Jaws!!
My life preserver coats in my boat all have razor knives in them.
My favorite scene is the girl on the water ski.
The minute I saw it I said to my wife, it looks just like a big plug to me!!!!

Canalman
08-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Cape Cod Shark Attack; Shark Attack Cape Cod | BostInno (http://bostinno.com/2012/08/01/cape-cod-shark-attack/)

They're saying it was a GW now

JohnR
08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Unless a LOT of people get eaten - it is too late to do anything about the seals. Even then people are more likely to say close the beaches humans-shouldn't-be-there-anyway

it was a white seal wearing a fake fin :uhuh:

:rotf2:

Rockport24
08-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah I agree that it is very unlikely anything will happen with the seal protection.
Hey, in South Africa and Australia, these sharks are everywhere and people just deal with it, gonna have to be what we do as well.
Although, if I lived on the cape, I would be getting myself and boat and lose the kayak!

JohnnyD
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
There was a poll on fox 25 news last night about how many are in favor of repealing the protection acts so that the seal population can be reduced. I fell asleep before the results came in. Anyone catch it?
Bring back the nose bounty!!! Hell, instead of the town paying me per nose, I'd gladly pay them $5 per seal that I'm allowed to take out.

Adamfishes
08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I wonder if they will start expanding their range beyond that area of the cape. I know that they will range all the way up to Canada, but I'm talking about numbers.

Slipknot
08-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Video Landing Page - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston (http://www.myfoxboston.com/video?clipId=7565740&topVideoCatNo=238258&autoStart=true)

she gives the results

31 % feel the seal population is out of balance

61% say it's fine

6-8% say only if a confirmed shark attack

well that attack was confirmed I thought

Piscator
08-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Maybe they should re-take to poll after this story.

Seal Flu & Humans!

New flu strain in seals could pose risk to human health, experts say | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/31/new-flu-strain-in-seals-could-pose-risk-to-human-health-experts-say/)

FISHING_FOOL
08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Bring back the nose bounty!!! Hell, instead of the town paying me per nose, I'd gladly pay them $5 per seal that I'm allowed to take out.

I'd throw 500 bucks into that game...

LINESIDES
08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
I would like to add these big baby’s! Both of them are dining on stripers!!!!
Allot of stripers!!!

Rappin Mikey
08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up Bloo. They aren't going to get me though. I taste like farts.

RickBomba
08-01-2012, 05:58 PM
And I don't have a kayak.

Backbeach Jake
08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
In 1996 a guy was bitten at Cold Storage Beach, bayside in North Truro. He was ridiculed as have being bitten by bluefish. His wounds were moast definately NOT bluefish bites. He decided to get s-faced in town and borrowed his buddy's car without asking. He was charced with car theft and OUI. Vacation from Hell!
In The Smithsonion hangs a Great White, huge fish, caught in 1911.
There have always been sharks there and there always will. If humans want to swim safely then they have to control the seal populations whic in my HO are way out of wack.

BluesHarp
08-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Someone theorized that the shark was only doing a taste test.

Perhaps something like this: Shark taste test - YouTube (http://youtu.be/2djs-hy4s8k)

Raven
08-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Then something possibly a SHARK has tasted Rappin Mikey -it stands to reason.:think: