View Full Version : GPS antenna question

Mr. Sandman
05-27-2003, 03:35 PM
I am considering low profile surface mouning the GPS antenna on the top of the CC oppisite the compass. It is behind a windshield and there is a hand rail the also goes around the windshild. Do you think interference will be a problem?

capesams
05-27-2003, 03:57 PM
as long as the outer rim of the mushroom ant. isn't under the handrail you should be fine, it'll only screw up when something is over hanging the top of the anti. just make sure it has a clear shot to the sky.

Van
05-27-2003, 07:28 PM
They sell short extensions for standard antenna threads.
I could not find exactly what I wanted, so I made one out of PVC, and threaded it at work. I needed about 18" to get over the edge of the windshield. if you need only a shorty to get over the rail, try PVC pipe. I think the thread is 1"-14...

GBOUTDOORS
05-28-2003, 06:42 AM
Sandman I have mine under the windsheild it is a 176 no antenna but what is on the unit also under the bimini top. I have had no troubles at all with loss of signal. I checked with Garmin and they said glass and canvas are no problem the only thing would be the rails and pipes on the bimini and that would only be one or two sattilies not all.

Mr. Sandman
05-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Thank guys....I think I have decided to initially mount it on the rail (with a bolt on movable fixture). In the end, I may have to remove the rail (to get under a low bridge) and thus would have to surface mount it. But I want to see if I can keep the rail if I can. (there is not much to hold on to on my boat)

Someone should make a center console that hinges, so you can tilt the entire thing up and work on the inside more easily...it can't be that big of a deal...I wonder why no-one has done this? I much prefered working on larger boats. This think is so tight you have to be a contorsionist to do the wiring. (bad desgin IMO)

capesams
05-28-2003, 11:19 AM
some already do..