View Full Version : Fish stuck me back

Van
08-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I was fishing in my buddy's boat yesterday.
We were doing well getting all large fish on live bait. We always use
VMC 3/0 or 4/0. When I bring a fish to the gunnel I usually reach over and grab the jaw to bring it over the side.

I got a monster crash on a bait, waited her out then I said I'm gonna STICK her right...... NOW... Fish on and a nice heavy one. So he says I'm gonna net this one. OK, your choice. We get her on board and I now I remember why I hate using a net. Those hooks get stuck in there really bad. So I'm trying to get her loose to go into the box,,,and.....................she sticks me back.....

This is the first time in my 40+ years of fishing this happened. I guess I was due.

beamie
08-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Van,

Ouch, I absolute hate nets too, they catch every hook and dorsal, throttle, shifter, etc etc

Rob Rockcrawler
08-05-2012, 04:34 PM
OUCH

Rappin Mikey
08-05-2012, 05:20 PM
At least it went through and all you needed was quick snip or crush of the barb and back out. Or did you have to push the barb out the other side to get at it? That is the hardest part in my book.

thefishingfreak
08-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Ouch.
Looks like a fairly easy do-it yourself home surgery though.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
08-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Ouch!!!!

Night Shift
08-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow! Best case scenario for a hooking. A little this way or that way and it would have been much worse.

It still must be painful though. I hope it heals quickly for you.

Van
08-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I guess I was lucky it went clear through the nail and out the other side. He crushed the barb and i backed it right out.

Its still throbbing though. The nail split so that will be a nuisance for quite a while too.

I know what you mean about pushing it through, I had to do it for a newbie I took out last year. It went into the fat part of his palm below the pinky. Went more than 1/2 way in and we could not pull it back out. Got it through, crushed the barb and after a few attempts he got it to back out. He has scars he can show.

Jenn
08-05-2012, 09:17 PM
my first thought was.... "well at least it went all the way through". Still looks like it hurt like a mother though.

Fly Rod
08-06-2012, 08:27 AM
OUCHIE!

Soak in bleach & water

beamie
08-06-2012, 09:02 AM
So what kind of kind words about nets did you have for your buddy after this happened, sure there was some good cussing......

piemma
08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
That's what they make Boga Grip for. Hope it heals OK.

PRBuzz
08-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Grippers don't totally remove the chance of getting hooked either! Had a smallish fish boat side earlier this year and when I went to grab with gripper she flopped and put the treble into my hand.

bassballer
08-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I used to greab the plug to lift the fish to rock or boat. I dont do that anymore.

Raider Ronnie
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM

Gaff works much safer.
Easy enough to lip gaff them so they can be released.
Also, removing the hook best to use a hook removal tool from Cabelas or one made by Berkley.

Night Shift
08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Soak in bleach & water

Now that spells OUCH!

H202 for me.

PRBuzz
08-06-2012, 04:57 PM
H2O2 is definitely preferred treatment over bleach! Just make sure the peroxide is still within useable date!!!! If you add blood to H2O2 it must foam to still be good & effective!

Van
08-07-2012, 06:41 PM
H2O2 is definitely preferred treatment over bleach! Just make sure the peroxide is still within useable date!!!! If you add blood to H2O2 it must foam to still be good & effective!

I just rubbed some dirt in it.

Had a tetanus shot 2 years ago after slicing my finger open on a pipe section we were testing. Almost 2" long cut one day before my vacation !!!!!!

I have several hook removers on board that I always use, but I still prefer to grap her by the jaw while removing the hooks. I dont' trust those grippers. Method worked today on several LARGE bass. Good day fishing even with my thumb wrapped with a crap load of surgical tape.

Roger
08-08-2012, 12:07 PM

+1. It seems that I use mine most for controlling netted fish.

bloocrab
08-08-2012, 10:11 PM
...... Or did you have to push the barb out the other side to get at it? That is the hardest part in my book.

:uhuh::uhuh::uhuh: ...like pushing a hook thru a tire tread.....:wall:

Mr. Sandman
08-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Don't you just hate when that happens?

Squeeze some triple antibiotic thru that hole, bandage it up and carry on.

Many of us have been there in one form or another.

Best of luck with that Van