View Full Version : Power Pro Depth Hunter

ThrowingTimber
08-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Any opinions good, bad or indifferent? Looking for it in 65-80# and wondering if anyone had used it prior to picking it up? I use their 65# moss green for years on conventional eeling setups and have nothing but good to say about it, wondering if the depth hunter is the same?

iamskippy
08-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Hey TT, i have used it and i hated it, had break offs seems like the quality went to heck, the line gets frayed up or looks like it does way to easy. The older power pro was excellant but since a over seas company bought them out and is doing all the coating the quailty has gone to hell.

I switch to suffix, i use there metered and performance lines and love them. Stay away from the 832.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete_G
08-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Should be the same stuff - just a different color.

Certainly cheap compared to many metered lines.

I still use Power Pro for a lot of my basic boat rigs. If I wasn't cheap I'd put Sufix Performance on like I do for my surf rods as when you do get a knot of any sort they are MUCH easier to pick out compared to Power Pro.

piemma
08-10-2012, 09:25 AM
I have been using the Power Pro Super Slick on 2 surf rods and I LOVE it. No wind knots or other problems. I have been beating the &*^&%%$ out of it at the Canal since early July without a problem.

Pete_G
08-10-2012, 09:41 AM
I have been using the Power Pro Super Slick on 2 surf rods and I LOVE it. No wind knots or other problems. I have been beating the &*^&%%$ out of it at the Canal since early July without a problem.

People love the Super Slick. Best selling line for us right now by a long shot.

ThrowingTimber
08-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Agree on the suffix for shore/swimming setups Pete.

Agree on the super slick. Been a fan since may zero issues.

Basically asking because I can get 500yard spool of 65# depth hunter delivered for 55$ but if it's junk would go with something else. I believe it's only a six carrier braid thats what got me thinking of going with some of more supple brands that are either 12 carrier or more... Decisions decisions.

niko
08-10-2012, 09:42 PM
I've got it on a Calcutta 700. Works for me

Mr. Sandman
08-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I have had good luck with PP. I use it on almost everything. Hollow core on the big game and regular red and green on the spinners, surf and boat. None of the other braids cast as well for me. They are too stiff or wire like. I tried that flat samari line and didn't like it. I didn't have a lot of problems with it but for me it didn't feel right. Never used the colored depth line. I picked up a couple line counter conventional reels from diawa and loaded them with PP braid for trolling for bones and albies this fall. Now when someone ask's...how far out do I let it?...I can tell them 183.2'.

I even tried the hollow core 65# PP on a accurate boss500 . I spliced a mono leader into it about 100' or so. I love this!. It is on a terez. It can catch damn near anything, and feels great. From a 4# sea bass to 200# tuna and still feel great. Without a doubt the most versatile rod/reel/line combo I have. Really light, really comfortable and plenty of stopping power.

ThrowingTimber
08-11-2012, 11:50 AM
thanks for the feedback guys just ordered the depth hunter.

65#, 500 yard spool delivered with tax etc 59$

jamestown distributors has them on 30% off, use coupon code: fship50 for free shipping :):uhuh: