View Full Version : longest casting spinning reel

canalfisher
08-10-2012, 10:54 AM
i fish the canal often . fish seem to be allways in the middle .what i s the longest casting spinning reel . i have a vs 300 and a saltiga 6000
z thanx

numbskull
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I suck at casting so feel free to ignore me, but I think that casting distance is best looked at as an entire system rather than a piece-meal approach. You need a rod, guide system, line weight, reel that matches the guide system, lure choice and most importantly the technique to use the stuff right. Putting a large spooled distnace reel (like an emblem pro, diawa Basia, or shimano bullseye) on the wrong rod won't solve your problem.

BigFish
08-10-2012, 11:41 AM
The one that casts the furthest....is the best long distance casting spinning reel!!! Am I right?? What do I win??:rotf2:

the point
08-10-2012, 12:53 PM
If where talking just reels not worried about rods..I would say My Diawa Emblem Pro.

Mike P
08-10-2012, 01:08 PM
A Saltiga will cast with any reel with the right guide set-up.

In side by side testing with an EmPro on an old COF guide set up, the difference was marginal averaged out over a dozen casts on each--less than 10 yards. If you go with a more modern lay-out you'll get better distance. From most reels.

soups
08-10-2012, 02:09 PM
There is a person, in a short period, has become legendary for his casting ability. People from near and far, come to hear his explanations of long distance casting and going large. I'll stop here and welcome guesses. He loves the attention. Good luck.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The Dad Fisherman
08-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Is he the Dad of a Local Cape Cod Canal Fishing Legend? :hihi:

Slipknot
08-10-2012, 02:19 PM
There is a person, in a short period, has become legendary for his casting ability. People from near and far, come to hear his explanations of long distance casting and going large. I'll stop here and welcome guesses. He loves the attention. Good luck.

LMAO:rotf2:

tysdad115
08-10-2012, 02:23 PM
You think that ass needs you two helping him derail this thread?:bshake:

soups
08-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Is he the Dad of a Local Cape Cod Canal Fishing Legend? :hihi: Very possible. He's a candle in the wind to many of us.

wader-dad
08-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I think the rod, lure weight /shape and your casting technique are almost all of the factors in a cast. But you need line capacity.

I don't fish the canal but bought a Century FMJ for some other places. I was into my backing on some casts with my current reels - so I bought a Shimano Albrid c14 and now have 300 yards on a spool that will not create friction. Its a Japanese Domestic model reel - if it breaks I got a problem- But so far its been great and matches up well with the rod.

Slipknot
08-10-2012, 02:27 PM
As was said, it helps to match all the components for maximum distance

I like the Saltiga reels, they have enough power also for the canal fishing.

I get more distance with my 4500 than my 6000gt

Slipknot
08-10-2012, 02:29 PM
You think that ass needs you two helping him derail this thread?:bshake:

no I don't think that

he's fine all by his self

don't you have a car repair customer to take care of someplace?:smash:
you have to admit, he IS funny

I think he forgot to include humble

soups
08-10-2012, 02:35 PM
You think that ass needs you two helping him derail this thread?:bshake: This is uncalled for. You seem to believe that I'm speaking of you. There are some other bombers, other than yourself. By the way, EELS DO CATCH FISH !!

JohnR
08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
This is uncalled for. You seem to believe that I'm speaking of you. There are some other bombers, other than yourself. By the way, EELS DO CATCH FISH !!

Yes but the key thing missing in this conversation is that distance must not be accompanied by a parted line.

As often heard down the canal: "Who Parted?"

"Oh, that was Andy"

tysdad115
08-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Now you too? Thread reported ! Damn that won't work will it?

The Dad Fisherman
08-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Very possible. He's a candle in the wind to many of us.

I have heard that there is talk in Indian lore of a man who walks the 'Big River" at night. and that if you stay silent on the bank on a moonless night you can here him in the wind (or is it passing wind :huh:) the sound carries through the still night air.....bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...Crack...and then chanting in some ancient tongue.

I, myself, have heard this Chanting......it kind of reminds me of the Dad fixing the furnace in "A Christmas Story" :hihi:

Swimmer
08-10-2012, 03:14 PM
After you spend say a grand or more or the distance casting "reel do jour", and then countless hundreds or more, on a Century rod, (of which I am going to buy myself one at Christmas using Moose' discount) you'll hook and land a 43 #er 30 yards from shore where most of them big ones come from, seriously.

You need to speak with Moose on this. He'll set you up.

piemma
08-10-2012, 04:27 PM
After you spend say a grand or more or the distance casting "reel do jour", and then countless hundreds or more, on a Century rod, (of which I am going to buy myself one at Christmas using Moose' discount) you'll hook and land a 43 #er 30 yards from shore where most of them big ones come from, seriously.

You need to speak with Moose on this. He'll set you up.

And there you have it. I have hooked more fish in the Canal at the end of my drift up against the shoreline than in the middle. I still love my new Rainshadow SU1208. I have an old Penn 850 with Power Pro Super Slick line and I can bomb a 4oz jig. Everyone knows I'm old and sickly so it's not me it's the equipment.:rotf2:

JohnR
08-10-2012, 04:38 PM
CanalFisher - sorry for the thread HiJack

soups
08-10-2012, 04:47 PM
CanalFisher - sorry for the thread HiJack. I, as well am.sorry for hi-jack. I had an opportunity, and took it.

JohnR
08-10-2012, 05:07 PM
:rotf2:

JamesJet
08-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Wow, light activity lately and all it takes is a chance to dig at Andy and look what happens! I hope my son can grow up an internet and canal legend, maybe I too will draw such attention. If you see a DrewsDad around here it might have to be my new name. Seriously balance of equipment, and technique will trump any differnce between reels.
And oh, instead of the Century discount i'll just be taking Tys old 1205 before it gathers dust.

Justfishin'
08-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Good gear is important, but it is 95% technique.

Way back when, when there was a Wasque Point on the Vinyard, me and a buddy were being duly impessed by a guy uncorking some seriously long casts with a 13' rod and an Alvey reel. And then a local came down and did abou 10 yds more with a Lami SSB 130-1(?) and a beat up 706 chock full of 20 lb Trilene XL. The local knew how to cast, hands down.
I've never been able to cast as far as either of them........ sigh

(?)= I forgot what the old S-glass numbers are; they used to be one of the go to blanks at the time. Still got mine....

bart
08-10-2012, 05:57 PM
back to the topic: Penn 706

Nebe
08-10-2012, 07:50 PM
A long narrow spool will generally outcast a wide spool like a 706.

JamesJet
08-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Sorry for my amateur double post a bit earlier... But agree the longer spool models are better and also note certain models lay braid better on the retrieve which helps the next cast.

bart
08-11-2012, 07:43 AM
A long narrow spool will generally outcast a wide spool like a 706.

Eben, the king of sarcasm, doesn't seem to pick it up so well. :rollem:

Nebe
08-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Bart, we never know with you :hihi:

Mr. Sandman
08-11-2012, 11:29 AM
The large diameter Alvy reel from Australia is the reel you want for distance casting.

ReelinRod
08-12-2012, 10:15 AM
When we Americans discuss the 'best" distance reels we need to recognize that unless you are willing to do the research what we are AWARE of doesn't amount to 1/4 of what is actually out there. For high-performance surfcasting gear we are the red-headed stepchild for Daiwa and Shimamo . . . So the answer to what is the "best" is relative.

I have spent nearly 30 years finding, buying and using engineered for distance fishing tackle. In discussing distance potential for spinning reels there are only two considerations; the reel needs a long spool profile and engineered line lay.

Back in the 80's Daiwa was the first to market distance specific reels; the Tournament SS9000 and Tournament SS3000. A testament to those reels performance is the fact that they remain in the Daiwa line-up today as the Tournament S6000T and Tournament S5000T. I still buy the SS reels when they become available and a few remain in the daily rotation. New old stock 9000's are commanding prices over $500 now.

SS9000:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/Surf_Fishing_Guru/ss9000_d.jpg

SS3000:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/Surf_Fishing_Guru/ss3000-1.jpg

The spool profile (height/diameter/taper) on most of Daiwa's modern distance reels are based on the SS3000, showing that they got it right the first time. Among those modern reels are the Saltiga Surf, Iso-Ento and the latest Windcast/Emblem Pro A. Here is the Windcast series from which our Emblem is a hybrid stepchild (take an "S" and add a dash of "X"):

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/Surf_Fishing_Guru/windcast-z-x-s-2794.jpg

The 45mm (1⅞") tall spool of the SS9000 is seen today in the Tournament Surf Basia QDII:

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/Surf_Fishing_Guru/Basia12.jpg

Even more extreme is the lightened Basiair:

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/Surf_Fishing_Guru/Basiair-1.jpg

Shimano was a latecomer to the distance market waiting until the late 90's to come out with a few models priced far outside the realm of most anglers and geared towards Japanese type of fishing thus these reels had no drag and intended for use with extremely thin braids.. . . Super Aero Titanium:

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/Surf_Fishing_Guru/71efc6d2_6.jpg

Shimano, in my not so humble opinion, has the surf casting distance thing all figured out; they own it now with the best performing reels out there.

Power Aero Spin Power:

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/Surf_Fishing_Guru/PowerAero_SpinPower.jpg

Even better are the Technium MgS reels

XSA:

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/Surf_Fishing_Guru/MgSXSA.jpg

XTB is the same reel as the XSA but has slow oscillation which has the rotor making something like 80 rotations for each stroke of the spool.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/Surf_Fishing_Guru/MgSXSB.jpg

While Daiwa plays around with spool heights and forward an reverse tapers, Shimano refined the line wrapping and in my experience the Shimano's have the edge even over the 45mm spools of the SS9000 and Basia's.

For Canal work though your choices are even further restricted because your rod lengths are limited; some of these reels won't do too well on a shorter rod or with lures that quickly decelerate or that need to be worked violently or with varying line tensions.

I did want to answer your question as to what the 'best" is . . . Whether the CCC will let you use the "best" is another question . . .

canalfisher
08-12-2012, 10:18 AM
thank you all for your'e help tight lines to all