View Full Version : 19 year old dog and its owner, did you guys see?

Swimmer
08-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I think its on YOUTUBE about the guy whose dog is old and in pain all the time and can hardly walk and rarely sleeps because of the pain. The video shows the owner walking the dog to the pond and carrying him in the water and the dog rest its head on the guys shoulder just so the dog gets some comfort.

spence
08-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Didn't see the video but it sounds like the poor dog should have been put down years ago :huh:

-spence

PRBuzz
08-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Didn't see the video but it sounds like the poor dog should have been put down years ago :huh:

-spence

I did see the video, yes touching but people really need to understand at times is it best for the animal to be humanely euthanized!
I have done 2 dogs, one old age and one cancer, it is probably the hardest thing you will ever do but the RIGHT thing.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jim in CT
08-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Here's a photo. Only one who knows this dog knows his quality of life. Sometimes euthenasia is the humane thing to do, sometimes a dog can live a rich life through pain. Looks like a lot of love between the 2 of them to me. Lost my golden (the greatest dog who ever lived) 7 months ago, Scout I miss you every single day. I hope I made my dog feel as loved as this guy does...

Saltheart
08-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Touching picture. Looks like he's pefectly qualified to decide when the dogs time is finished.

Putting a pet down is a hard thing for sure but making medical decisions for a person who cannot make their own decisions , including when its time to let them die with dignity, makes all other decisions in life seem simple. I hope you never have to find out for yourself.

bart
08-10-2012, 05:53 PM
When i saw it, my first reaction was yeah, this guy clearly loves his dog but the pup is in so much pain he should probably be put down. Now, I don't know. Such a tough call...

Fish_Eye
08-11-2012, 04:47 AM
I had to say goodbye to my companion of 13 years just yesterday...been down that road before and it's one of hardest things to go through, but she had a fantastic life and I thank her for all those years of unconditional love. I'll bet she's chasing rabbits on Cutthunk now.

soups
08-11-2012, 05:57 AM
I had to say goodbye to my companion of 13 years just yesterday...been down that road before and it's one of hardest things to go through, but she had a fantastic life and I thank her for all those years of unconditional love. I'll bet she's chasing rabbits on Cutthunk now. Glad to hear she had a great life.. They do mean the world to us..

Swimmer
08-12-2012, 02:37 PM
The last time I did it I was crying so hard the female vet couldn't control herself either. Touch her ashes every morning. I know how difficult it is, but I posted this because the pic was so touching, the unconditional love each have for the other, had to be celebrated so more.

piemma
08-13-2012, 04:49 AM
I have put down more pets than I care to think about. It never gets easier and the older I get the more it hurts.
The last dog I had to put down had sever back problems and his kidneys failed. The vet said (and you have to believe they know more than you do) Gabe was in constant pain and had no quality of life so I made the decision.
Again, one of the hardest thing I ever had to do.

Mike, my condolences on your loss.

FishermanTim
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Unfortunately there are many that don't consider the pet as a companion, but rather a child and they will go to some extreme lengths to keep that pet alive because they don't want to lose their "baby".

Realistically, when dealing with pets and their quality of life, consider if what you are doing (or considering doing) is for the pet or for you.

We've had to put down a number of pets over the years, but when we considered that the pets were in constant pain and discomfort, and they were not going to be getting any better, we chose to end their misery instead of prolonging their pain-filled lives.

The key point I want to stress is that what we chose was right for us!
Everyone else will deal with these situations in their own way.

Hopefully your pets had lived a happy and love-filled life!