View Full Version : Electric fillet knife...have you ever used one?

Mr. Sandman
08-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Thinking about adding one to the collection...I would think they could be helpful, have you ever used one?

piemma
08-12-2012, 10:12 AM
tried one once a while ago. More of a PIA than they are worth. I can fillet much faster and better with a sharp filleting knife.

JohnR
08-12-2012, 10:47 AM
My father had one when I was a kid - I've been terrified of them ever since :shocked:

(or it might have been a meat cutter, I don't care, but it still scares the bleep out of me)

PRBuzz
08-12-2012, 10:54 AM
tried one once a while ago. More of a PIA than they are worth. I can fillet much faster and better with a sharp filleting knife.

DITTO

Get yourself a nice serrated edged knife, this is my goto for going through scales/skin then switching to the fillet knife. Will definitely work much better than electric...

Sea of Atlas
08-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Thinking about adding one to the collection...I would think they could be helpful, have you ever used one?

Yes I have one and I love it. Works great if you have a lot of filleting to do. Really works great on crappie and pike.

spence
08-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I can't remember which book it was in but I remember reading an story about the head fish guy at Le Bernardin in NYC...perhaps the best seafood joint on the East coast. He was responsible for taking the days fish, all fresh and whole and cutting them into perfect portions.

Actually, a quick google turned up a nice video :hihi:

Watch Le Bernardin's Justo Thomas Fillet a Fish Like a Boss: BA Daily: bonappetit.com (http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2012/06/le-bernardin-justo-thomas-fillet-fish.html)

I'd like to see him pluck the pin bones on a big bass that fast!

-spence

shurbet
08-12-2012, 05:10 PM
They work slick for panfish like perch,crapie ect. If used properly not so good on bigger fish IMHO

Jenn
08-12-2012, 05:41 PM
My father had one when I was a kid - I've been terrified of them ever since :shocked:

(or it might have been a meat cutter, I don't care, but it still scares the bleep out of me)

JOHN!!!! My mother had used an electric knife to carve turkey one year when I was a kid and nearly took her finger clean off. I will never forget how terrified I felt and will never use one because of it to this day!

All this being said...I dont see why anyone would want one if they have a good quality fillet knife and keep up on the sharpening of it. I also think you would have better "feel" on a regular knife for working along the backbone.

Sea of Atlas
08-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Its nice to have after a long day of icefishing and your'e filleting a bucket of panfish. It might seem like its not precise but it does work well and I'm thankful to have it when working on a dozen fish or more.

macojoe
08-13-2012, 05:23 AM
When I went on a guided trip in Mississippi the guide did all the cleaning of are sea trout with one, man that guy was fast!
I have one as i have problems with my hands and it works great! That said when I used to have good hands I could do it faster and better with a regular knife.

MakoMike
08-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Ditto.

thefishingfreak
08-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Crap.!
I tried a rapala one recently on a school tuna. made it about 30 seconds. :smash:

macojoe
08-13-2012, 09:02 PM
LOL, I got a 150# Tuna once I used a saws-all to cut his head off!!

Mr. Sandman
08-15-2012, 08:09 AM
LOL, I got a 150# Tuna once I used a saws-all to cut his head off!!

You always had a delicate touch.:hihi:

Van
08-15-2012, 03:48 PM
I've seen some guys that can absolutely rip through fish like crazy with one. But the rechargable ones (Piranna) and smaller FW fish.

I would go with a 120V for SW fish.
But I agree with all... just use a good sharp knife.

How many are you cleaning anyway?