View Full Version : Need Inputs on Penn Battle 5000 and Dawia Saltist 4500

Notaro
08-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Can anyone share their thoughts on these two? I am trying to weigh my decision on purchasing one of them. Please pitch in and any opinion is greatly appreciated! =)

Joe L
08-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Battle is a great reel but, depending on what rod your putting it on. I have always said there should be a 4500 battle, something in between the 4000 and 5000. I had the 5000 on a 10 ft rod and it balanced well but, think its a bit heavy for any thing smaller. Where as the 4000 is MUCH smaller and I think would be too small on a 9" rod.

leptar
08-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Having owned both, I still have the battle 5000 purchased a 6000 battle and going to buy 2 4000 battles in the future to replace some light tackle reels that just didn't make the cut today...

I sold the Saltist because of line lay issues... I think the main shaft might have been a mm or 2 too short because the spool fit my Saltiga 4500Z just fine as i used it for 2 outings just to see if it was the spool...

Other then that i have had no issues with the penn battles.

I have the battle 5000 on a Tica Striper rod 7' M-H.

Also worth looking at is the Spheros line up that are in the same price range

Sgt Striper
08-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Wait another month or so and get the new Penn Spinfisher SSV 5500 @ approx $139. you will be getting a great reel.

fishbones
08-13-2012, 06:24 PM
I have the Saltist 4500 and like it a lot. I use it as a backup/ plugging reel and haven't had any issues at all. I can't comment on the Penn because I've refused to buy Penn reels since I've had nothing but problems with all except the greenies. I might check out the new Penn SSV if their quality has improved since the SSM and Slammer models. I also agree with looking at the Spheros. I have a 6000 that I've fished hard for years with no issues.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rappin Mikey
08-13-2012, 07:24 PM
I will give you info on this. But only, and if only only, you bless us with some funny stories about your recent escapades with the female gender, or possibly Mai thai tournies. Come on! I know you got some kind of hilarious story. Now don't hold back, and let it fly! By the way, I only went to Ricky's 3rd surprise 40th birthday party cuz I heard you'd be there. What you got??

PNG
08-13-2012, 07:51 PM
I will give you info on this. But only, and if only only, you bless us with some funny stories about your recent escapades with the female gender, or possibly Mai thai tournies. Come on! I know you got some kind of hilarious story. Now don't hold back, and let it fly! By the way, I only went to Ricky's 3rd surprise 40th birthday party cuz I heard you'd be there. What you got??

Notaro stories from old ... priceless

Witches... well just plain scary. Cmon Notaro you gotta have something

Ian
08-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Battle is a great reel but, depending on what rod your putting it on. I have always said there should be a 4500 battle, something in between the 4000 and 5000. I had the 5000 on a 10 ft rod and it balanced well but, think its a bit heavy for any thing smaller. Where as the 4000 is MUCH smaller and I think would be too small on a 9" rod.

Agreed 100%... If the rod you are putting the reel on feels great with the reel, the battle for the money is great. The SSV is your better bet but is about $50 more.

JohnR
08-14-2012, 06:50 AM
F.E.B! F.E.B!

piemma
08-15-2012, 05:27 AM
Notaro, I have had a 6000 since June on a 9' G loomis graphite rod. I love it but it's not a good reel for dunking. You need to keep it dry and clean or it's starts binding. Other than that, it's great

Notaro
08-19-2012, 01:19 AM

I didn't show up, but I do have some stories to tell only if you take me out on a trip that you and Rick promised me years ago.... -__-
Notaro stories from old ... priceless

Witches... well just plain scary. Cmon Notaro you gotta have something
Tons of inappropriate escapades!!

Notaro, I have had a 6000 since June on a 9' G loomis graphite rod. I love it but it's not a good reel for dunking. You need to keep it dry and clean or it's starts binding. Other than that, it's great
Piemma, I was going to use it to dunk in the water, but not so much for hardcore dunking. I might wade into the water and fish. I've had a spheros 5000 but sold it because I felt that I needed to upgrade it so I can dunk one on any occasions.

canalfisher
08-20-2012, 05:08 PM
my friend has a battle not sure of size and a saltist spinning . the bale fell off .had it repaired at red top . the saltist the bail wire broke . he uses. both hard jigging up to 5 ounce jigs in the canal. not your'e average fisherman

Notaro
08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
my friend has a battle not sure of size and a saltist spinning . the bale fell off .had it repaired at red top . the saltist the bail wire broke . he uses. both hard jigging up to 5 ounce jigs in the canal. not your'e average fisherman

Ouch, I guess that it's not suited for hardcore fishing then.