View Full Version : meteor showers

nightfighter
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Peak was the other night, but tonight will be the next best chance since its been overcast and cloudy since......

Night Shift
08-14-2012, 07:41 PM
I was out there while you were writing this. I had no idea it was a "special" event.

I was one of the best shows I've seen in the past few years. The first one was very early as it streaked through a faded sunset, then it was one every few minutes for the rest of the night.

chefchris401
08-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Watched it last night while fishing the surf, made the action even better.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

doc
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
craziest meteor/'shooting star' i saw this morning...was just after first light and this thing went nearly across the span of the sky turning red and green before petering out...totally cool to see although for a moment i thought we were under attack...

ProfessorM
08-23-2012, 01:49 PM
I saw same one this morn while I was at canal. Cool colors. Made me wonder what it was.

FishermanTim
08-23-2012, 05:07 PM
One of my favorites was during the Leonid while sitting on the wall at Brant Rock 10+ years ago.
It was a crystal clear sky, and although they weren't too numerous there were a few that lit up the sky. The one that stood out in my mind was a "fireworks" special. It hit the atmosphere at an odd angle and literally exploded into a fountain like sparkle. It didn't "shoot" acroos the sky, it just dropped like a big sparkler.

For me fishing at night just isn't complete if I don't see at least one shooting star. It's like an exclamation point on the entire trip.

ProfessorM
08-23-2012, 05:13 PM
this thing this morning was something I had never seen before. the colors were crazy and the way it burned up and lasted was really cool and it was also pretty light out too. During the season I do a lot of all nighters in the boat and watching the stars while trolling is something I look forward too and have seen many sights but this one was something special.

doc
08-23-2012, 07:27 PM
this thing this morning was something I had never seen before. the colors were crazy and the way it burned up and lasted was really cool and it was also pretty light out too. During the season I do a lot of all nighters in the boat and watching the stars while trolling is something I look forward too and have seen many sights but this one was something special.

Yes, this was nothing I have ever seen before...even better that just as I was fully digesting what I just witnessed a decent fish crushed the needle I was retrieving...!

piemma
08-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Peak was the other night, but tonight will be the next best chance since its been overcast and cloudy since......
I'm up in Marin County, CA. Think they will show here?

nightfighter
08-24-2012, 05:39 AM
Ten days have paased, Paul. Still get a few per hour, but peak is well past.