View Full Version : fishing around salem

yj1990
08-20-2012, 03:54 PM
for the past couple weeks fishing has gone down the tubes. plenty of bait around no fish to be cought?? tried the islands, mh, beverly ect no luck, even the blues been hard to find. Is it just me or anyone elese having these problems thanks scott

numbskull
08-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Are you fishing at night?

yj1990
08-20-2012, 05:07 PM
no just earily am till about noon

thefishingfreak
08-20-2012, 05:56 PM
That's why they call them the dog days
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

yj1990
08-20-2012, 06:16 PM
not really the past 3 years its been like clock work starting the first week of august Ive hammerd them butt this year??? baits all different ect. keep on going out there see what i can find

tattoobob
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Try different spots

N.ShoreFisher
08-20-2012, 07:31 PM
use squid for bait. They're still here, got about 30 last night in Gloucester, all about a foot long. Had a 40" striper hit a half dead fresh squid on tues night around midnight, then schoolies since

yj1990
08-21-2012, 05:36 AM
thanks guys depending on the seas might try to get up that way nshore
thanks

nightfighter
08-21-2012, 06:40 AM
Keep going with the pogies. Same spots. Epecially ENE corner of the harbor if getting outside is an issue. I would like to think we are just in between schools of moving fish. But they are still around. I heard Saturday was very slow, but Sunday was good (I got TDF out for the morning.) Not the pigs of a couple weeks ago, but good fish. And we broke off three or four before switching to heavier tackle.
I see a lot of boats running and gunning, but that can be a frustrating excercise as well. My preference in these times is to set up in a spot I feel confident that the fish will come to at some point of that tide. With all the bait around, it's not like the stripers are going to abandon the general area. However, if you see the seals.... move on. I saw one off Fluen Point that had a head the size of my 200hp Yamaha....

tunaless greg
08-21-2012, 10:01 AM
how big a fish won the kayak tourney? those guys had the place wall papered, looked like a good time.

doc
08-21-2012, 11:14 AM
i only saw a pic...and it looked biggish

nightfighter
08-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Near calm conditions before and after sunset. Schools of pogies being harassed by stripers, blues and a seal at the harbor entrance. Snag and drop, live or chunked. Beautiful out there last night, the kind you dream about when the snow is flying.....

Two guys were out there wth four kids, casting poppers at the pogies. Got them a weighted treble and a few suggestions. They hooked up some big blues in no time. The kids' (and dads') reactions were priceless. That alone made my night.

spinncognito
08-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Near calm conditions before and after sunset. Schools of pogies being harassed by stripers, blues and a seal at the harbor entrance. Snag and drop, live or chunked. Beautiful out there last night, the kind you dream about when the snow is flying.....

Two guys were out there wth four kids, casting poppers at the pogies. Got them a weighted treble and a few suggestions. They hooked up some big blues in no time. The kids' (and dads') reactions were priceless. That alone made my night.

That is awesome Ross. FAC conditions + pogies + bass/blues makes for a great experience and hooking up those folks with your wisdom will go a long way in the karma department!

Wish those pogies would push just a few more miles north though! Did see a football-field sized swath of peanuts in Gloucester Harbor last light and again this morning, un-harrassed but for a few snapper blues. Cannot wait for those suckers to get discovered or attempt to get outta the protected harbor- Hope I am there to witness it....

:uhuh:

yj1990
08-25-2012, 06:31 AM
I heard that the pogies were all gone and macks cant be found. can any one confirm this befor i head out in the am tomarrow . buddy of mine ended up in manchester cathing pollak and anol could find a couple blues.
thanks scott

Fly Rod
08-25-2012, 06:51 AM
sounds like U R fishing from a boat....plenty of big stripers in Salem...plenty of poggies too....on thursday's my friend is netting poggies early...u can go to that boat andget a few lives.

shore fishermen can complain all they want BUT, one morning along the shore in Gloucester four boats all had 5 fish each all over 20lbs. in about 30 - 45 minutes...we had our 5....the 3-5 shore fishermen did not catch one fish...we were casting into the rocks...what R the shore fishermen doing wrong???? My friend that fishes from my boat went there one morning and fished from shore.... he had 2 fish over 20 lbs. even showed him on a website called "Good Morning Gloucester" holding the fish...he knows how to fish from shore.....I do not understand why shore fishermen cast as far as they can straight out.

yj1990
08-25-2012, 07:17 AM
fly rod buddy went out yesterday spent acouple hours looking for pogies and nothing . im going to give it shot thanks for the info

Fly Rod
08-25-2012, 07:33 AM
need to be there at first light....if going into salem harbor from ocean keep your eyes open for flips....first place that I would check is the anchorage to left of power plant....if ya can't use a net....snag em

spinncognito
08-25-2012, 07:34 AM
sounds like U R fishing from a boat....plenty of big stripers in Salem...plenty of poggies too....on thursday's my friend is netting poggies early...u can go to that boat andget a few lives.

shore fishermen can complain all they want BUT, one morning along the shore in Gloucester four boats all had 5 fish each all over 20lbs. in about 30 - 45 minutes...we had our 5....the 3-5 shore fishermen did not catch one fish...we were casting into the rocks...what R the shore fishermen doing wrong???? My friend that fishes from my boat went there one morning and fished from shore.... he had 2 fish over 20 lbs. even showed him on a website called "Good Morning Gloucester" holding the fish...he knows how to fish from shore.....I do not understand why shore fishermen cast as far as they can straight out.

What are the shore fishermen doing wrong? Nothing. Most of the shore guys choose to try to fool the fish with plugs instead of feeding them. It becomes difficult to fool them when boats are right on top of us with live bait. It is what it is but sometimes the boat guys set up drifts within 20 yards of shore guys.

Fly Rod
08-25-2012, 07:45 AM
What are the shore fishermen doing wrong? Nothing. Most of the shore guys choose to try to fool the fish with plugs instead of feeding them. It becomes difficult to fool them when boats are right on top of us with live bait. It is what it is but sometimes the boat guys set up drifts within 20 yards of shore guys.

I have shore fished with a fly rod for many years.... as I showed some courtesy sitting on the railing on the backshore waiting for a lure fisherman to finish in discuss casting to flipping stripers and he caught none....as I settled in on the rock and cast my fly I hooked the 43 inch striper on the first cast....and caught several more fish.....I do not always bait fish... now a days I can not fish from shore... not as fortunate as UUU today...have a good day :) :)

spinncognito
08-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Yeah lots of different skill levels out there. From googans like me to sharpies like you. Enjoy every minute of it!
u

Fly Rod
08-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Yeah lots of different skill levels out there. From googans like me to sharpies like you. Enjoy every minute of it!
u

no googans ...no sharpies... we all have good days and bad days...days that we scratch our heads and wonder...oh where, oh where have the fishies all gone....:) :)

american spirit
08-25-2012, 11:52 AM
any comments on all the fire in the water? it was like blue man group out there that past couple times i was out this week. i assume that spooks the fish when plugs slap the water it looks like glow in the dark pain spraying.

N.ShoreFisher
08-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I gotta hook up with Fly Rod and Spin and hit the cows. I've been doing a lot of fishing down by the fish pier on on the boulevard in Gloucester. I don't care if it's a night of 1 schoolie or a few big squid. Just like catching things. On a side note, most of the mid sized squid seemed to have left Gloucester harbor, but there are still a lot of monster sized ones hanging around. Caught 2 last night over 14".

JackK
08-26-2012, 12:28 PM
I caught a squid on a redfin yesterday morning. Epic
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

yj1990
08-26-2012, 01:35 PM
worked salem harbor slow but it did pay off a couple of nice blues, 2 keepers one 32" and a 42" aprox 35-40 # fattest fish seen in awhile coverd with lice to. on dead or cut pogies. Ill try to get a pic of the fish up tight lines.