View Full Version : Reading the beach

Zeal
08-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Alright, I have used the search function and way too many things popped up concerning reading the beach.

I'm a rookie surfcaster and only know some basics on what to look for on the beach, but frankly, the only way I can find drop offs for sure are by using a bucktail or tin to feel out the bottom and also if it is more than just sand down there (i.e. a mussel bed).

Tired of skunks in the fall on the beach and frustrated since Fall is my favorite time of the year, if anyone can give their input it is much appreciated. Also if anyone can link me a topic they know of that has this information is great as well.

DZ
08-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Zeal,
Here is an excerpt from my book project that may help.
As basic as I can state it.

Transitions zones are key areas for a surfcaster to locate as they often act as a magnet for forage and in turn for striped bass.
(A transition zone is an area where one type of underwater bottom structure changes to another.) Example: sand beach transitions into a boulder field. Locate transition zones and you’ll often find striped bass.

Hope this helps.

DZ

chefchris401
08-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Zeal pm me your email, I saved a bunch or articles I'll send you
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

basswipe
08-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Never overlook using something like Google Earth if you're thinking of a specific area.DZ stated the importance of transition zones,if the imagery was taken on a clear sunny day you can certainly see these zones in many cases.

Its another tool that can help but in the end the only true thing that pays off is time and persistence.That and some luck.

Attached is an image of a spot I fish quite often.Not perfect but a great help in determining where to cast.Best fish from that area was 24#.

bart
08-27-2012, 05:02 PM
If you are strictly fishing sand beaches with no visible rocks, look for stretches of white water that run either perpendicular or parallel to the beach. Fish in front of the white water, in the white water, and on the sides. The white water is formed by waves breaking over a sandbar. The fish will feed in the shallow water on the bar, and the deeper water holes on either side, and the front and back. Figure out which way the current is running during both ebb and flood tides and present the lure to the area where the current pushes bait to waiting gamefish...

Rappin Mikey
08-27-2012, 06:51 PM
You need to search some stuff from Assmaster, I mean Bassmaster. He put a tutorial in the FAQs years back. It breaks chit down pretty good. AS far as what bait is around at certain times of the year, what plugs to use to match the hatch, and hoe to use them. ALthough he focuses on the outer Cape beaches in that thread, it can be generalized to other areas depending on the bait.

OLD GOAT
08-27-2012, 06:57 PM
put on your swim trunks and walk the beach at low tide you can find or feel alot

Nebe
08-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Watch te crashing waves. Waves that break early are over shallow water. Waves that break late are over holes. Mussel beds will cast mussel shells up on the beach ;)

ProfessorM
08-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Manzi in a bathing suit:eek:

Rappin Mikey
08-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Manzi in a bathing suit:eek:

You mean Sling Blade in a bikini??
I'm trying hard to evoke a lost spirit on here.

stripermaineiac
08-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Old goat hit it right on the head. the beach changes so fast this time of year what with ll the line storms an such that the only way to know it is to feel it ist hand book,searches an all are no help due to the changes this time of yr. once you see it ist hand at low tide you'll then know where to look for the fish. Ron

Mr. Sandman
08-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Forget the beach...just look for a crowd of guys casting like no tomorrow, odds are that is a good spot no matter what the bottom looks like.

rizzo
08-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Beach fishing is tough work. It always changes year to year, sometimes day to day. Its one of those things as there are trends/patterns, but you need to learn what to look for. Its not like fishing a rocky point that never changes and is very predicatable.

If I were you, I'd fish eels, fish around the new moons, look for a decent swell and start trying to figure out the winds and tides by just fishing hard. Pick a handful of areas that look good as far as structure and bars and try to find bait. If there is a section of beach that has great structure say 1 mile in length, make a few casts and move 50 feet and repeat. Dont waste your time fishing a flat beach with no bars or outer bars. If there is an inlet in the area I'd concentrate on that.

chapinfisherman
08-28-2012, 10:09 AM
mt

jonserfish
08-28-2012, 09:37 PM
agreed, pick a few fishy spots and fish them often. Youll pick up a pattern. If they look fishy they probably are.

chefchris401
08-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Zeal sent you the email with the articles

Zeal
09-05-2012, 05:31 PM
You need to search some stuff from Assmaster, I mean Bassmaster. He put a tutorial in the FAQs years back. It breaks chit down pretty good. AS far as what bait is around at certain times of the year, what plugs to use to match the hatch, and hoe to use them. ALthough he focuses on the outer Cape beaches in that thread, it can be generalized to other areas depending on the bait.

Are you sure it's Bassmaster and not Bassdozer?

ProfessorM
09-05-2012, 07:30 PM
LOL. It is bassmaster, Dave Manzi. A very outspoken:uhoh:, good fisherman, fruit cake:uhuh:He used to fish the outer beaches of Cape Cod and make plugs until he found hair dye and motorcycles. Such a shame. Maybe he will read this and send me hate mail. Do some searches of his posts and look for some Flaptail posts too, another great beach fisherman that unfortunately has left us too soon. You should be able to garner some info from their posts.

BTW good to see you around how you been?

flyvice11787
09-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Never overlook using something like Google Earth if you're thinking of a specific area.DZ stated the importance of transition zones,if the imagery was taken on a clear sunny day you can certainly see these zones in many cases.

Its another tool that can help but in the end the only true thing that pays off is time and persistence.That and some luck.

Attached is an image of a spot I fish quite often.Not perfect but a great help in determining where to cast.Best fish from that area was 24#.

You realize we can read the coordinates, right :grins:?

Zeal
09-06-2012, 12:36 PM
LOL. It is bassmaster, Dave Manzi. A very outspoken:uhoh:, good fisherman, fruit cake:uhuh:He used to fish the outer beaches of Cape Cod and make plugs until he found hair dye and motorcycles. Such a shame. Maybe he will read this and send me hate mail. Do some searches of his posts and look for some Flaptail posts too, another great beach fisherman that unfortunately has left us too soon. You should be able to garner some info from their posts.

BTW good to see you around how you been?

I'll give them a go and see what comes up! If I still cannot find some stuff, I'll see if there is another forum that has it.

Been extremely busy but alright, taking my medical licensing board exams this semester while doing residency. Exhausted and fishing trips are limited since I moved closer to NYC (Queens to be exact) for the home stretch with my folks still back on South Shore LI. Unfortunately, I couldn't take the lathe with me and I miss it dearly along with my fishing equipment. Cannot wait to practice again! The only thing I have as any sort of fishing refuge now is here, a spool of fishing line to teach my girlfriend knots (who calls them all "Spit Knots" due to lubing them up), and the 2 seasons of River Monsters I own.

Good to be back, still have the model Nike in mint condition and taking all the measurements :) Glad you asked Professor, thanks!

Slipknot
09-06-2012, 03:00 PM
That is funny, I should change my name to SpitKnot :hihi:
good luck with your residency :btu:
the fish will still be around I'm sure

Zeal
09-06-2012, 06:21 PM
That is funny, I should change my name to SpitKnot :hihi:
good luck with your residency :btu:
the fish will still be around I'm sure

Thanks a bunch Spitknot :P

Halfway done, graduation is coming up in May!

The fish better be around when I get my few fall trips in so I can play with my new toys such as the Northbar Bottledarter and an SS Bullet (possibly might sneak buy a blurple floating needle to use all hours)! Though with the great advice given about the beach, I'm sure I'll get some :)

ProfessorM
09-06-2012, 06:39 PM
good luck with your exams. Fishing will always be there when you are done.

Zeal
09-06-2012, 08:33 PM
good luck with your exams. Fishing will always be there when you are done.

Much thanks, but I gotta bang out a minimum number of trips or I'll die from the shakes after seeing some of the really good stuff you guys pointed me to on reading the beach!

I'd say fishing is an addiction but it's more of a lifestyle for me. Though the side effects of not fishing do mimic withdrawals from drugs of some sort I can swear on that!

LINESIDES
09-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Walk the shore line on an 11, or 11 and a half foot run off!
Do what the above folks recommend in looking for these bars.
Then fish them.
Good luck!:cool:

Zeal
09-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Walk the shore line on an 11, or 11 and a half foot run off!
Do what the above folks recommend in looking for these bars.
Then fish them.
Good luck!:cool:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an 11?

The Iceman 6
09-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Look for deep holes.

LINESIDES
09-08-2012, 06:18 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is an 11?

It’s a numerical number!

Iwannakeeper
09-10-2012, 11:54 AM
You realize we can read the coordinates, right :grins:?

:rotfl: