View Full Version : Dirty Water

JohnnySaxatilis
08-29-2012, 03:09 AM
Whatsup with the poo stained water in the canal last few days? tony told me its an algae bloom thats mudding everything up. said all of buzz bay is like that too. eeesh :confused:

saltyric
08-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Same thing up in the harbors on the North Shore....looks like Chebbaco Lake.....Article in the paper said it was Algae blooms.

Jackbass
08-29-2012, 08:49 AM
I thought it was taco night at the campground
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

chapinfisherman
08-29-2012, 09:03 AM
couldnt get my waders off in time.....owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww hoooootttttt hot hot hot !

JohnnySaxatilis
08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
According to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, the overall Atlantic coast stock of menhaden is robust as of 2006.[9] However, according to Paul Greenberg, who has called for a ban on fishing menhaden in US federal waters and the Chesapeake bay, the continued harvesting of menhaden (especially by Omega Proteins) is having detrimental effects on the population, which in turn is affecting populations of fish that feed on menhaden and especially on water quality:[7]

The muddy brown color of the Long Island Sound and the growing dead zones in the Chesapeake Bay are the direct result of inadequate water filtration — a job that was once carried out by menhaden. An adult menhaden can rid four to six gallons of water of algae in a minute. Imagine then the water-cleaning capacity of the half-billion menhaden we "reduce" into oil every year.

capedeer/fish
08-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Interesting stuff. Been wondering the same thing the last few morn's at the canal. Johnny.......gimme a ring some time yer headed down this way!

Ian
08-29-2012, 12:23 PM
I've been seeing the same crappy water all the way down in Westerly... it sure makes picking a plug tough...

PaulS
08-29-2012, 01:10 PM
The muddy brown color of the Long Island Sound and the growing dead zones in the Chesapeake Bay are the direct result of inadequate water filtration — a job that was once carried out by menhaden. An adult menhaden can rid four to six gallons of water of algae in a minute. Imagine then the water-cleaning capacity of the half-billion menhaden we "reduce" into oil every year.

Johnny, It is amazing to see the difference in water clarity in LIS late in the year when the water cools off and all the algae dies offs.

I read an article a couple of months ago (maybe in OTW??) that said the menhaden's poo causes as much algae as their feeding takes out. I wished I saved the article.

RIROCKHOUND
08-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Johnny, It is amazing to see the difference in water clarity in LIS late in the year when the water cools off and all the algae dies offs.

I read an article a couple of months ago (maybe in OTW??) that said the menhaden's poo causes as much algae as their feeding takes out. I wished I saved the article.

Didn't see the article, but that's my understanding.
All during the debate during the pogy wars on the bay. was the removal of nitrogen. From what I understand of the science, it is about a net-wash......

flyvice11787
08-29-2012, 05:40 PM
I've been seeing the same crappy water all the way down in Westerly... it sure makes picking a plug tough...

Chartreuse. Easy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device