View Full Version : No Stripercup Chatter???

BigFish
09-03-2012, 06:39 PM
No Stripercup chatter or updates all season??? Did SB even field a team??? Anyone participating??:huh:

ivanputski
09-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Might be indicative of the waning interest in this tournament... that's my best guess...

*(not being negative)

BigFish
09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
It just occurred to me today I have not seen any mention of it for a few months??

stripermaineiac
09-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Most don't care about the Commercial Cup.All the big winners seem to be commercials not weekend warriors.

Sgt Striper
09-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Currently in 3rd place, but I see them moving up!! :uhuh:

stripermaineiac
09-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Well if your not a Comm ticket holder your one of the few.

Mike P
09-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Most don't care about the Commercial Cup.All the big winners seem to be commercials not weekend warriors.

But they'll maintain to their dying breath that being able to keep and cull from 30 fish a day gives them no advantage---no, none at all---over the recs who can cull two fish. :rotf2: :jester:

piemma
09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
We have been saying for years that Comm license should automatically exclude an individual from Cup participation.
When I was in Thundermist the president, who was a Comm, won the most points category every year. WTF, of course he had the most points, he could keep the most fish.:fury:

tysdad115
09-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Top 2 surf guys are on the team, nice job guys.

CowHunter
09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
But they'll maintain to their dying breath that being able to keep and cull from 30 fish a day gives them no advantage---no, none at all---over the recs who can cull two fish. :rotf2: :jester:

Not a single angler in the top 10 of the first place team holds a com license. Recs can catch 30 fish a day or more since they are releasing. Big fish windows are small and selective. Why even kill anything to wiegh unless it's over 50....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish
09-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I agree with Mike P and have been saying the same thing for quite awhile! If a rec catches a 35 pound fish.....he might keep it...then same day he catches a 38 pound fish.....he then keeps that one! He is done for his day by law! If a comm. during the comm season catches a 32 pound fish.....he keeps it.....because its salable meat.....he then catches a 40 pounder and also keeps that one.....and on and on....he does not have to continue to decide wether to keep a certain fish or throw it back and try for a bigger one....he simple keeps catching and keeping large.....until he makes his 30 fish limit...at which time by the law he must stop. By my estimation that increases the comms advantage by quite a bit!! It most certainly is a decided advantage and if anyone believes otherwise......they are a fool.:uhuh:

Raider Ronnie
09-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Striper cup is stupid !
:yak5:

BigFish
09-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Not a single angler in the top 10 of the first place team holds a com license. Recs can catch 30 fish a day or more since they are releasing. Big fish windows are small and selective. Why even kill anything to wiegh unless it's over 50....

Yeah recs can catch 30 fish a day but they have to make a decision which 2 they will keep......and its not a case where they can keep all 30 fish and at the end of the day there is no decision to make as they can actually keep them all??? Comms can fill their box with the largest fish of the day and at the end of the day they have no worries because they got to keep upgrading all the while!

CowHunter
09-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah recs can catch 30 fish a day but they have to make a decision which 2 they will keep......and its not a case where they can keep all 30 fish and at the end of the day there is no decision to make as they can actually keep them all??? Comms can fill their box with the largest fish of the day and at the end of the day they have no worries because they got to keep upgrading all the while!

Agian, if your fishing the tourney it is just that, a tournament, so why wiegh 30's and 40's unless ur filling the board? Winning team average has always been in the 500's last few years. I don't see the point unless it's 50 plus... Your worried about Coms catching 30 tail steppers a day in Chatham 3 days a week for 21 days when it's a 7 day a week tourney that's nearly 5 months.
Also I do not see a single 50 caught by a com angler during the weeks of the com season on any team.

BigFish
09-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Closed minded way of thinking. Ken do you possess a comm license? Just curious from which side your way of thinking comes from? I know a past winner of Angler of the year did alot of his damage during the commercial season so......there ya go! You might be limiting your thoughts to the team based portion of the tourney but I look at it across the board and it all says comms have a decided advantage.

Raider Ronnie
09-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Agian, if your fishing the tourney it is just that, a tournament, so why wiegh 30's and 40's unless ur filling the board? Winning team average has always been in the 500's last few years. I don't see the point unless it's 50 plus... Your worried about Coms catching 30 tail steppers a day in Chatham 3 days a week for 21 days when it's a 7 day a week tourney that's nearly 5 months...

The only reason guys weigh in 30-40 lb fish is for a shot at the weekly prizes, then they list them here in the classifieds for sale :rotf2:
I agree, anything less than a 50 weighed in is stupid, but then again I think the whole tournament is stupid !

CowHunter
09-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Closed minded way of thinking. Ken do you possess a comm license? Just curious from which side your way of thinking comes from? I know a past winner of Angler of the year did alot of his damage during the commercial season so......there ya go! You might be limiting your thoughts to the team based portion of the tourney but I look at it across the board and it all says comms have a decided advantage.

Explain how is it close minded thinking? I have not possessed a com license in two years. Com license is not going to make me catch more 50's... Your thought process seems more close minded. Are you looking for every possible excuse to try and rationalize as to why you can't catch A 50 so it must be the license or culling 30 fish? You know, some may just happen to be A little "Close Minded" to the process of catching big ones...

big jay
09-04-2012, 09:49 PM
The Striper cup brings out the worst in a lot of people.

I'm happier skipping the whole thing, and running a trip the day of the party. The only thing I miss are iron man's antics, and I can catch those any after any Wednesday night club meeting in the winter if we want to get him all riled up.

BigFish
09-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Just good conversation Ken! I respect your opinion for sure....we just have a different opinion is all....I just like to know what makes people tick I guess? :fishin:

WESTPORTMAFIA
09-04-2012, 10:02 PM
TWAT-FEST! Thread deleted!

CowHunter
09-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Just good conversation Ken! I respect your opinion for sure....we just have a different opinion is all....I just like to know what makes people tick I guess? :fishin:

I'm always up for good conversation. I just don't understand the com argument. Alot of my com friends fished this year and had nothing close to 50lbs. They are fishing for $$$$ not trophies.
All the guys that I fish the cup with are trophy fishing, if the conditions aren't right for a shot at a 50 plus, they don't go. They join the cup for some competition, within team and outside, regardless they would be trophy fishing anyway and targeting that class of fish. The cup is just a bonus.

Zeno
09-05-2012, 04:23 AM
I never understood killing the fish only for tournament sake....fish you wouldn’t even target according to you if it wasn’t for a tourney
why is a 50 a trophy but 49 is a failure? Does it take a skill to catch and target big fish? Absolutely but if you landed 7 fish over 50 for example, is fish over 50 still trophy and why? Would this mean the only reason for his or her existence is to show others the size of the fish they could catch? It doesn’t make any sense to me Ken....you might know the answer to this better than I Ken. Not looking for an argument, just curios about a mindset.

BigFish
09-05-2012, 05:08 AM
Ken I do not fish tournaments. As far as catching 50 pound fish have I ever?? No I have not. Do I want to? Sure who wouldn't but I do not let the desire for a 50 pound fish define me. I enjoy fishing probably more than most people do because my trips are defined by how much I enjoy the journey not the arrival! I certainly hope to catch my trophy some day and I can appreciate the skill involved by people, like yourself, who can accomplish the feat on a regular basis. I do not consider myself a "great" fisherman......just a successful one.:)

JohnR
09-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Just wish I was fishing - regardless. But almost mended.

stripermaineiac
09-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Nicely put Larry. I fished in the pourin rain last night landed 2 small fish,ran into someone i haven't seen in years an had a ball an got soaked.It was a great night fishing.

BigFish
09-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Sounds like a good night Ron....I love fishing at night in the rain...call me crazy!!

piemma
09-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Nicely put Larry. I fished in the pourin rain last night landed 2 small fish,ran into someone i haven't seen in years an had a ball an got soaked.It was a great night fishing.

Me too. Poured cats and dogs but the fish were very cooperative. Good night for all.
My only downer was a nitwit near me who went fishing without pliers or crushing his barbs. I had to help him twice. After the second time I told him if he hooked another fish I'd throw him in.

He promptly left.

stripermaineiac
09-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Funny thing on those wet nights is that I never see any of the kids out there it's always us old guys LOL . Not sure if hat's good or bad .I learned a lot from the old guys I fished with an still do.
It was so warm I just had on a light fleece an sneakers.My buddy an i talked a lot about the old days here an on the Cape. Was real nice.

the point
09-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Ken I do not fish tournaments. As far as catching 50 pound fish have I ever?? No I have not. Do I want to? Sure who wouldn't but I do not let the desire for a 50 pound fish define me. I enjoy fishing probably more than most people do because my trips are defined by how much I enjoy the journey not the arrival! I certainly hope to catch my trophy some day and I can appreciate the skill involved by people, like yourself, who can accomplish the feat on a regular basis. I do not consider myself a "great" fisherman......just a successful one.:)

:kewl:

Swimmer
09-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Not to repeat a prior post in answer to your query Larry, but I fished only once in eight weeks, because of personel issues. I:jump: can't carry the whole team. Thats at least 25 less fishing days for me during May, June and July. I promise I will do better next year.:wall:

Sgt Striper
09-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Less than 30 hrs. to go and it looks good for team S-B!! Good luck boys:)

ProfessorM
09-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Go Bobby

bart
09-16-2012, 10:11 PM
So much BS that goes on with this tourney, i don't know how anyone can feel good about it...

mikey99
09-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Ever since I joined I haven't caught all that much. I think I just wanted a t shirt

Sgt Striper
09-20-2012, 09:15 AM
John,Bobby,Pete and Jimmy, Great job guys!!