View Full Version : pogie seiner up the town river

blue oyster
09-04-2012, 11:12 AM
at the begining of last week the river had the largest school of pogies i had seen in almost 10 years now a barren waste land , there was a seiner up there this morning and from talking to others they were up there several days last week , i looked up the reg's and the river is a restricted area but when i called the e. police they could not tell me what that restriction was only to call them if the boat comes back :huh: sad

Raider Ronnie
09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
The boat "Mcaffery" out of Hull.
Run by a guy John Mahoney.
Some on this board have been on this situation.
Take pictures or video if you see him in there or other spots he's not supposed to be in. Send them in
Hopefully they've had enough and will pull his permits.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

FishermanTim
09-04-2012, 12:41 PM
funny, but when we go through years where the pogies are netted further south, clowns like this will be the first to complain.

Yet given the chance to do the same damn thing, the idiot will ignore the rules just to make a buck!

It's that traditional narrow minded thinking that since the fish are back in great numbers (in this region ONLY) that it's OK to take all that you want and screw the regs.

Hopefully someone can get proof, but who knows if the authorities would even care?

quick decision
09-05-2012, 05:38 AM
1 of my best friends works for the environmental police.
send me the video or a picture of this boat and I will pass it on to my friend.

sokinwet
09-05-2012, 06:06 AM
He was there early Mon. AM in the fog when we were leaving to go tuna fishing. He was right in front of TRYC in the mooring area. We confronted him re: legality and he gave a smart answer and set the net. We didn't know if he was legal so we took pic's for "evidence". I checked the area on the maps and it is restricted not prohibited. Restrictions mentioned are 400' x 30 net, hand pulled, etc. I do not know what his restrictions are. If anyone wants pic's send your email. My pic's on my cheap azz phone; bro prob. has better ones. If he's legal so be it; stinks that he can do this but everyone has to make a living (who do you think supplies all those frozen pogies) but if he's not he should have his ticket pulled.

quick decision
09-05-2012, 06:23 AM
He was there early Mon. AM in the fog when we were leaving to go tuna fishing. He was right in front of TRYC in the mooring area. We confronted him re: legality and he gave a smart answer and set the net. We didn't know if he was legal so we took pic's for "evidence". I checked the area on the maps and it is restricted not prohibited. Restrictions mentioned are 400' x 30 net, hand pulled, etc. I do not know what his restrictions are. If anyone wants pic's send your email. My pic's on my cheap azz phone; bro prob. has better ones. If he's legal so be it; stinks that he can do this but everyone has to make a living (who do you think supplies all those frozen pogies) but if he's not he should have his ticket pulled.

quick decision
09-05-2012, 06:23 AM

Email sent

Scuttlebutt
09-05-2012, 07:32 PM
He's legal. Checked out by the EP about a week ago. Still sucks though...pretty much picked clean.

blue oyster
09-07-2012, 02:43 PM
The boat "Mcaffery" out of Hull.
Run by a guy John Mahoney.
Some on this board have been on this situation.
Take pictures or video if you see him in there or other spots he's not supposed to be in. Send them in
Hopefully they've had enough and will pull his permits.

thats the boat , sad part is there has not been pogies in the river in a lot of years that school should have been set up there till the fall run and hopefully left a foot print for future generations , all gone now

FishermanTim
09-07-2012, 03:17 PM
And he'll just claim that "it's not MY fault" and keep on netting, regardless of the circumstances or fish population.

yj1990
09-07-2012, 05:20 PM
we have same problem in salem harbor we have a few that come in and cleen the place put. called 2 years ago and they didnt give me any awnsers. from the mouth all the way up in the mooring fields. wtf with that