View Full Version : VHF stopped transmitting

MikeTLive
09-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Its ancient, 4pin screw on mic, opened it up and it looks great. Going back to Satuit Boat Club today will pull the radio down and try opening it up too.
Anyone in area have a spare Fullsize or handheld to loan or sell? How about recommendation for model or store in area that has them? I can't call launch w/out a radio :(

likwid
09-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Standard Horizon HX280s

Print out the GPS Store price.
Go to West Marine.
Get it $20 cheaper than West Marine.

fish4striper
09-08-2012, 07:51 AM
I got an old radio u can have if I can find it! Just moved so not sure where it is. I'll look this weekend.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MikeTLive
09-08-2012, 08:05 AM
What do you mean print out gps?

I see a 20$rebate and there's a west marine in Braintree.. Nice.

I'm new to the electronics. Next will be looking for plotters/chart/fish finders. I know nothing about em.
I have cabellas and other gift card thru work for that but zero knowledge.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigBo
09-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Sent you a PM

MikeTLive
09-11-2012, 11:43 AM
I ran some errands through Weymouth and Braintree and ended up going to West and buying the Standard Horizon HX280s likwid recomended.

Made my first trip outside the harbor Sunday afternoon. Water was amazing in spite of the weather and buoy reports.

Mr. Sandman
09-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Just go buy a new one with new antenna and fresh wires and also pick up a handheld for a backup.
Don't waste time with an old one. It the scheme of boating...radios are dirt cheap.

MikeTLive
09-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Sandman, that's where my thinking is heading as well.
the boat has ancient electronics.
I need to know general what i need - fishfinder, chart, radar, sonar, torpedo, depth charges, etc..

then some specifics like recomendations on certain devices that wont break the bank. I have some bonus money that can be turned into gift cards at cabellas and some other places. so ill be comparison shopping then turning to them for the purchace.

but, i am a complete newbie to boat electronics.