View Full Version : OOB Next Thur. thru Sun. (A little help here)

striperjackson
05-29-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm going to be at Old Orchard Beach next week, Thursday Thru Sunday. how is the fishing off the beach there? I want to try to catch a few Maine Linesiders.:D

ragfly
05-30-2003, 05:58 AM
This time of year you will not catch anything off the OOB beaches. The water temp is only 40 becuase of this rainy cold weather we have had. I recommend driving to Camp Ellis and fishing off the breakwater (Saco river). Fish the river side. It is about a 10 minute drive (if that) from OOB. take Rte 9 south out of OOB. When you get to the end of the road where Rte 9 go straight and drive throw the little village until you see the river. Another spot is take a right onto Rte 9 west drive up a mile or 2 and on the left you will see the river there is a grassy meadow people fish from shore there, you will see cars parked on the side of the road.. Also try Pine Point which is Rte 9 north from OOB. Stop in a Saco Bay tackle which is on Rte one right accross from Fun Town water park for more info, about a 15 minute drive. Sen d me a PM if you have anymore questions.

JohnR
05-30-2003, 06:53 AM
SJ - ditto to what he said about Camp Ellis. In adition to the Jetty, there is a small beach a couple hundred yards north of the Jetty which may start to pickup but the best bet this early is the Jetty - fish the river side. Especially that pocket you can wade fish on the river side of the Jetty almost down near the commercial dock. In that pocket move to the left a bit. The Marsh that he mentioned is very good in early season (Ragfly - a freind of mine & old fishing partner has a house halfway between that marsh and CE - man those skeeters are nasty). There are other spots but they must be earned :) - and late June helps too...

Might be a little early but there is a small stream that dumps out between OOB & CE - Goosefair Brook if I remember right. Parking is tough but it's a good place to wade and fish when the pond in back is dropping out. Small pearl Cocahoes, bucktails and plastice like that work fine. It might be too cold for that spot though still...

Thinkg small white bucktail jigs with chartreuse as a second color, maybe some smaller Storms too...

ragfly
05-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Hey John I bet I known any spot you are talking about from Biddeford pool to Portland head light. I'm a member of team ledge lizards and love them rocks. If by chance you ever make it up this way maybe Bill B. can show you the "ledge dance". It takes years of practice to master the dance (which I finally did last year). I will be fishing the Saco river tomorrow.

striperjackson
05-30-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys, Ill try the river and see what I can get.:D